Quadris - A new puzzle game

Community Forums/Showcase/Quadris - A new puzzle game

spacerat(Posted 2010) [#1]
Quadris is a clone of an adaptation of the Second Life game Tringo. The objective is to place pieces on to a grid to create 2x2, 3x2, 2x3 and 3x3 blocks, which disappear and earn you points. This picture should make it more clear:

The green piece is the piece being placed, and the resulting 2x2 block will be cleared, giving the player 10 points. (This screenshot was taken before I renamed the game to Quadris.)

In standard mode, you are given one of each piece in a random order, and the objective is to get as many points as possible (the highest scores are around 250). There is also a play-until-you-skip survival mode, and an interesting head to head mode (I still don't know if either player gets an advantage yet).
Although somewhat unpolished (like PiMorize), the game is essentially complete. Eventually I may add a highscore list, and the settings menu could be a bit more helpful, but everything is essentially done.

Quadris page on my website
Direct download for Windows
Source code on Github

puki(Posted 2010) [#2]
What is the red square for?

spacerat(Posted 2010) [#3]
The red square tells you have much time you have left for your move. I kind of never got round to making that more obvious. It gets smaller as your time runs out. Perhaps I'll replace it with a clock or sand timer or something?

Yeah, you can kind of tell that this isn't 100% polished. There's nothing stopping me mopping up those little issues though (apart from lazyness).

Taron(Posted 2010) [#4]
Nice, thanx! I think it would be nice(r), if you showed ghosted parts of the pieces that go outside of the box. Feels somehow a little confusing or unpolished without that. But other than that...nice way to grow some hair! :)

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#5]
I like the simplicity of the UI.