Gliderman Returns -released for testing

Community Forums/Showcase/Gliderman Returns -released for testing

groovylime(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello All.
I'm finally ready to release my new game built in Blitz3D. It is an updated 3D version of an earlier game I created called Gliderman, a platform puzzler kind of game. I've always really loved games like LodeRunner, Jumpman, and Miner 2049er... you'll see that Gliderman has similarities to these games. Gliderman does not jump, but instead climbs up ropes and glides. He also has an unlimited supply of bombs that you'll need to make good use of.
Gliderman Returns has a familiar 2D platform game play, but it is played in 3 dimensions, adding a level of complexity when trying to figure out how to complete a level. As you progress through each level, you'll find that they not only become harder, but more puzzling. Can you figure them all out?

Please download it here
(zipped, no install) and test it out for me and let me know if there are any issues. Thanks!

I'm releasing this as freeware.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#2]
This is outstanding in every aspect!

puki(Posted 2010) [#3]
This looks extremely exciting - but I am watching the "William Shatner" Comedy Roast at the moment.

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#4]
this looks awesome! I'll try it later tonight :)

Ked(Posted 2010) [#5]
Looks very good! But I think the camera perspective is downright painful. :D

Taron(Posted 2010) [#6]
Excellent! This is great fun!
I don't mind the camera at all, actually. The enemies feel a bit lose, when they fly about and it somehow could benefit from some other visual help to make out where they're going. Imagine the game with depth of field for example! That could be...ah... I think it would be incredible. Another thing could be some treatment of depth with color and contrast fade.

Anyway, fantastic fun. Havn't kept on playing games much and this one has me hooked! ;) (eery how it reminds me of the good old 2d times without forcing the 3d much at all. Really, congrats!)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#7]
This is fantastic. Very playable. Love the falling cows, very monty python, lol. :-D

I do wonder if some of the graphics will be improved a little though? It could really help sell this.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#8]
I do wonder if some of the graphics will be improved a little though? It could really help sell this.
Make a cartoon themed game not look like a cartoon? It would destroy one of the things that make this game so unique and appealing.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#9]

Make a cartoon themed game not look like a cartoon? It would destroy one of the things that make this game so unique and appealing.

I didn't say that at all. It's just some of the graphics are a little rough around the edges.

Pete Carter(Posted 2010) [#10]
really good game reminds me of bombjack although the game play is very different.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#11]

Reminds me of that old saying I've just this second made up:-

Imagination is the best form of entertainment

:D

Cool game BTW! ;)

Dabz

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#12]
Imagination is the best form of entertainment
I agree. When I was a kid the only high-tech toys we had were Dinky Toys, Lionel trains and if you were really lucky a bicycle.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#13]
Which is irrelevant really. I already said I loved this game, so get over it. Just a suggestion that some of the art be improved a little before trying to sell this great little game.

Taron(Posted 2010) [#14]
At least we know what's on your mind, Steve! ;}

Eitherway, I also think it could be improved, but just to enhance the since of orientation and just kick it up a notch for delight. Depth improvement with a distance based color correction and mild haze.
(I made a fog in the past that simply pulls the colors together for desaturation and tilts it to a background color all with a strength controlled by distance. Neat, fast and pretty.)

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#15]
I love it :D Only one thing you could change that I can think of. Stop the player from moving after death for a few seconds until the camera gets to the player. I ended up getting killed by a spider and was holding down a key and ended up walking off the edge of the level before I could even see myself.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#16]

At least we know what's on your mind, Steve! ;}

lol, well we want it to do well don't we? :-)

groovylime(Posted 2010) [#17]
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far! I'll make some more tweaks before I release it. I'm not going to worry about making it perfect though... or I'll never release it ;) Please let me know if you come across any serious issues.

A bit about where I'm coming from:
Creating little games like this is a fun hobby and a great creative outlet for me. It's something I do for fun and do not want it to turn into "work" (ie: no deadlines or stress or trying to please people to sell a product). This is why I'm releasing it as freeware. I already have a good job that pays well, but it can be quite stressfull at times. Working on my latest game is a great way to unwind in the evening. I'm guessing there are many here who can relate.

I really enjoyed working on this project, because I had to learn all about creating 3D models and animation. I know the graphics and animation may not be the best, but I'm learning as I go... so maybe my next game will be better. :)

Thanks again to those who took the time to test it out! I find the community here very friendly and helpful.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#18]
Exceptionally well implemented and polished looking game, one of the impressive examples of what can be achieved with Blitz 3D.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#19]
This looks great! It reminds me of something ... I can't quite put my finger on - What influenced this game if anything?

groovylime(Posted 2010) [#20]
Thanks for the comments. I wrote my first version of Gliderman back in the 80's... my main influences were Miner 2049er and Loadrunner.