Star Chasm WIP

Community Forums/Showcase/Star Chasm WIP

lo-tekk(Posted 2010) [#1]
I felt it was about time to show you this alpha demo of our upcoming space adventure game Star Chasm.

It's far from being complete but playable to some extent. Please report back what you think about it. You may download the installer here:

[OLD LINK REMOVED]

[LATEST DOWNLOAD]starchasm-demo-setup-734.exe

Thank you.

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#2]
looks good, i will try it later

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#3]
Tried if, I think the polish so far is really nice. Took me a little while to get used to the mouse follow type controls, and single plane of space flight. after I got the hang of that I had fun with it. I think its a really good game, if you keep the storyline interesting I think you have a winner.

My only gripes is the incoming text sound got a little annoying to me after awhile, and I couldn't figure out how to spend my credits at the refinery. I wanted to buy a new weapon.

Good work!

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#4]
I would try it except I hate installers so I wont. It looks interesting from the image.

lo-tekk(Posted 2010) [#5]
I would try it except I hate installers so I wont. It looks interesting from the image.

Post updated: http://www.lo-tekk.de/files/starchasm_demo_681.zip

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#6]
Millisecs() Overflow, please reboot?

No way...

You need to do your timing math correctly, so the negative Millisecs() values are OK.

Now I have to wait a couple weeks until I can try your game, after my Millisecs() counter rolls over again, or if I reboot for some other reasons. But, I will not reboot because you do your millisecs() checks incorrectly.

lo-tekk(Posted 2010) [#7]
(;_;)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#8]

You need to do your timing math correctly, so the negative Millisecs() values are OK.

Now I have to wait a couple weeks until I can try your game, after my Millisecs() counter rolls over again, or if I reboot for some other reasons. But, I will not reboot because you do your millisecs() checks incorrectly.

Clearly a hanging offence. Sheesh.

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#9]
LOL

I was just trying to make a point.

It is quite easy to do timing without worrying about the millisecs() being negative. Proper solutions have been provided in the forums over and over. :)

I ran his program and the first thing it said was reboot...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#10]

I was just trying to make a point.

And you certainly made it. :-)

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#11]
edit: ya if you coded in a runtime error asking a player to reboot, you should rework it.

you can just do this i think, then replace all millisecs() references with millisecs2() aside from the game_starttime declaration

global game_starttime#=millisecs()

Function Millisecs2#()
return  MilliSecs()-game_starttime# 
End Function 

lo-tekk(Posted 2010) [#12]
I totally forgot about this RuntimeError. Since I am a regular rebooter guy I never encountered this error. It's fixed already B.T.W. Thank you for the help RifRaf.

lo-tekk(Posted 2010) [#13]

As of now the second official demo release of Star Chasm can be downloaded from our server. We incorporated several changes to the game since the last release as:

* new missions
* a radar
* a new faction: the ronaldists
* a new dialogue system
* strafe flight
* some ships got new textures

But it's still in its alpha stage. So not all features could be implemented. Some things are still missing or incomplete. But at least you are able to fly within 2 star systems, complete a few missions, trade and mine and fight. So we would be more than happy if you had a few moments to check out our latest demo and give a little ranting and raving. :D

Cheers lo-tekk

Download
starchasm-demo-setup-734.exe

It's an installer btw. ;-)

[EDIT]Due to a bug file was updated as of Sat, 11 September 2010 18:42:54 GMT

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#14]
good looking game,nice menus and tutorial, will try more later

FBEpyon(Posted 2010) [#15]
This is a very nice space game, but can I make a suggestion, can you make it so when you are needing to enter a warp jump or space station, that when you enter the area you get a confirmation of wanting to enter and then also make the radius of the confirmation a bit further from the stations and warps..?

But other than that very nice..

MadJack(Posted 2010) [#16]
Playing on widescreen.

Unless I've missed something, having to re-centre the view by moving the mouse all the way to the edge of the screen is clunky and results in wild camera swings? This is very aggravating during dog fights where an enemy can turn quickly and get behind your ship.

The option to have the camera remain behind the player ship, pointing towards the ship's direction of travel would be very welcome.

lo-tekk(Posted 2010) [#17]
Thank you for the comments so far.

@MadJack
Did you found the wide-screen correction setting in the options ?
Regarding the view, you may have hit the space bar, this fixes the camera view. Just press space bar again, this might solve the issue. I have to admit that the camera / steering behavior might be confusing, but I decided intentionally against a Freelancer like steering as the game is 2.5 d only, so to speak.

@FBEpyon
I am not quite sure if I understand you correctly. You would like to have a dialog confirming the docking procedure ? If you mistakenly choose to dock to a station or jump node you can cancel the action before the black bars show up by pressing the left mouse button. This cancels any auto pilot action.

Cheers lo-tekk