FBEpyon Blog

Community Forums/Showcase/FBEpyon Blog

FBEpyon(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello,

I understand this isn't much a game, but figure I would announce to my fellow BlitzMax people my new blog on Max. I would like to make this blog interactive and get inside inputs on it, and right now I'm running a poll on what kind of game I will be making and where the Book I'm writing will be going.

I'm hoping that once the book is done, and I have all the chapters I need (will go until I fill there is to many chapters), that I will look into making a published working of the book and give it to all my fellow blitz friends to have.

I have been working with Blitz products for a few years now and haven't released anything, but now I'm hoping with this blog it will give me the motivation to complete a full project.

Thanks again and enjoy my blog :P

:EDIT: Forgot the link :P

http://fbepyon.blogspot.com/

Chapter #1 can be found here:

http://fbepyon.blogspot.com/2010/04/hello-like-i-promised-i-made-first.html

Shortwind(Posted 2010) [#2]
Sir, interesting.

Do you have a basic outline for the project?

What is your target audience? Complete beginners, or people who already know programming, but don't know blitzmax?

Do you have a completed program, or programs, that your writing the book around? You will find the basic flow and structure of the book will be more difficult to bring together if you don't have a program already more or less complete.

If you want to get this work published, you will need to do some serious proofreading and editing. You need to remember that your actually writing this for publishment, hence you will need to be careful with your grammical structure. Your goal is to write this for the masses. Not the forums where grammar and spelling don't really matter.

To make this successful only takes your own percervance. As a first draft I see a lot of potiential, it just needs some order, and a good edit.

One very good piece of advise I can give you: When you are working on the first draft of your text, do not worry so much about length, or if your rambling. You need to let the creative juices flow during that time. After that is when you go back and edit it down to something comprehensive, to the point, and ordered.

But...never loose yourself, or your own style through the editing process. From the way you have presented the work so far I would try to keep the lighthearted approach you have now. It doesn't appear that you want to produce another one of those boring, black and white technical manuals that just put people to sleep. Your approach so far is a good one.

Just some good, honest opinions. I'm very curious to see what you have planned. I encourage you to continue with the work.

FBEpyon(Posted 2010) [#3]
This is a start to a larger project.

I have beeen working off and on projects for years, and my main goal is for people interested in blitzmax for the first time, but thanks for looking over it.

This is very very ruff draft and is for general forum audience for now, so for now like you stated grammar doesn't matter or matter as much.. LOL..

If I need assist with a final draft of the book I will most likely give it to my aunt that has written two western novels and has a masters in english.

But thanks for the kind comments and I will keep pushing the subject.

*(Posted 2010) [#4]
I do think it takes a little to long to load, most pages these days load quite quickly but that one took over three minutes on 10Mb broadband.

Shortwind(Posted 2010) [#5]
EdzUp[SD] - hmm, are you talking about the scirb site, or his blog? The first time I clicked on the scrib link their server didn't really respond, but after clicking on it a second time the pages came up immediately. Maybe it was just a internet glitch.

*(Posted 2010) [#6]
its the link above

Pete Carter(Posted 2010) [#7]
really quick for me and my broadbands rubbish ;O)

Really like the idea, hope it goes well for you. I think were alot of guides/tutorials go wrong for me, is they don't give examples in a game context. most of the time they will show you how the method works with a basic example that does something pointless, then when the user tries to apply what hes learnt in a small game he runs into problems.