Release: Vapper, Mapper, Fabber 2D Viz tool

Community Forums/Showcase/Release: Vapper, Mapper, Fabber 2D Viz tool

Snixx(Posted 2010) [#1]
These tools are used to try out 2D design ideas (levels etc)

Download The Applications Here
Download The Source For All Apps Here

Fabber creates prefab files for use in Mapper; store these in data/prefab/ (you may add subfolders) and store the textures (.PNG) in data/media/ (use the same subfolder structure).
Mapper creates map files for use in Vapper.
Vapper views the map files created in Mapper... yup

Should be fairly easy to use.

*the media is not mine and was just to test with*

Controls:

Fabber is all mouse, wheel is used for zoom.

Mapper has a few hot keys that when held down enable you to scroll the mouse wheel to change properties of a selected object such as rotation (R), scale (S), layer or order (O)

You may also lock the position, rotation, scale, order, or completly lock down an open (in this case you can only select it again via the treeview to the left and unlock if you wish)

Once an object is selected you can click and drag the mouse to reposition it, you may also hold C (copy) and click and drag to clone an object (this is also accessed via a right click menu)

You can delete a selected object by pressing delete or using the right click menu.

Prefabs are access from the right treeview and you can see a preview of the currently selected prefab in the small preview window to the bottom right.

To position a prefab just select the one you want to use and move the cursor into the main viewport, you can now click to place (remember you can use the hotkeys to rotate, scale, or change the draw order).

Vapper will ask for a map file on load (it should automatically select the map folder), select the map file and navigate by using the wsad keys and using the mouse (for a kind of mouse look)

The directory structure must stay the same data/prefab/.. data/media/.. with optional subfolders (take a look at the included items for a better idea)

Erm if anyone finds these useful I can do some small vids to show how to use them better...

There may be bugs so please do tell. Thanks all

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#2]
I like that circle marquee around the star. How did you get that "interleaved" effect?

Is that realtime generated or is it pre-rendered?

Snixx(Posted 2010) [#3]
I forget where I got the original code but I made a couple of mods to it that allows rotation.

drawEllipse(x, y, width, height, 4, 1, rotation) is whats used in the shot above.

Function drawEllipse(x:Float, y:Float, width:Float, height:Float, stage:Int = 8, style:Int = 1, rot:Float = 0, lineWidth:Int = 1)

Local tOldWidth:Int = GetLineWidth()

width = Max(32, width)
		height = Max(32, height)

SetLineWidth lineWidth

Local i:Int = stage + rot
		Local tStyle:Int = style
		Local tDot:Int = Not style

Repeat
			If tDot DrawLine x + width * Sin(i), y + height * Cos(i), x + width * Sin(i - stage), y + height * Cos(i - stage)
			i :+ stage
			If tStyle tDot = 1 - tDot
		Until i > 360 + rot

SetLineWidth tOldWidth

EndFunction

LineOf7s(Posted 2010) [#4]
Very nice. Very Aquaria.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#5]
Fabber makes more sense, methinks ("pre-FABS").

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#6]
Very good....What I like about it.....when you choose plant or rocks or whatever is....you can change the colours whatever you like which save hell of time instead of going photoshop to change the colours!

Mapper is good where you can create own Gaunlets :)

are you selling it or it is freeware?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#7]
What GUI are you using?

Snixx(Posted 2010) [#8]
Heya its just out for free use, and its standard maxgui. Can have all the code also if anyone wanted it (its probally quite hacky thou)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#9]
how can I add my own background and my own sprites?

Snixx(Posted 2010) [#10]
edit: you basically can stick some textures (png files) into the data/media folder, create a new prefab in fabber (import the texture) and do whatever you want with it. Save the prefab into data/prefab and then load mapper.

if you had a texture called robot.png in data/media you would then need a prefab called robot.pfb in data/prefab

The structures between media and prefab have to be mirrored e.g.

data/media/robots/bot.png
data/prefab/robots/bot.pfb

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#11]
your latest picture look like Ghoul n ghost game heh heh

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#12]
Nice looking maps indeed

Snixx(Posted 2010) [#13]
Turns out it will take youtube a year to process the stuff so erm, any questions just post um up here.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#14]
yeah I understand how to do it :)

It is possible to make Gaunlet clones with your mapper :)

Snixx(Posted 2010) [#15]
Ermm ya will have to have a play with the code (loader specifically) so here goes... all code for the above apps :O

http://www.stevejohnnicholls.co.uk/files/source.zip

I modified Maxgui to allow for some extras with treeviews so that may not work 100%

The source for Vapper will give an idea of how to use the maps and load them into your own game/app.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#16]
Graphics are stunning

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#17]
Unless you are Derek Yu or Alec Holowka you should probably state the source of the graphics in the first post to avoid confusion. I assume you have their permission?

Snixx(Posted 2010) [#18]
Its stated in the original and you can get the same media from here http://gametuto.com/in-game-c-map-editor-tutorial-with-indielib-engine-that-dosent-use-tiles-but-pieced-images-like-in-braid-or-aquaria-games/

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#19]
Ok I'll assume you didn't ask their permission then. I've just reread the first post and I can't see any credits to Derek or Alec, or any mention of Aquaria. Javier Lopez, the creator of IndieLib, got permission to use the Aquaria graphics. He also posted links to Alec's and Derek's personal websites as well as that of the game. I'm not trying to have a go, but comments like _Skully's make me feel there is some confusion as to the ownership of the graphics. Just trying to make it clearer for people.