Sector Editor (Like Duke Nukem/Doom, etc)

Community Forums/Showcase/Sector Editor (Like Duke Nukem/Doom, etc)

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#1]
SSE (Streaksy's Sector Editor / Engine)

Got a ring to it? Sums it up. I want to name it so the community have a common name for it. :P Not that I assume it'll be a huge hit :P

I shouldn't let this go to waste so here it is =D

I uses the YAL lightmap thing from the code archives, slightly tweaked.

In the video I forgot to show off a few things, like different mesh spawning and decals... and (and im rather proud of this) mesh walls (walls that are models that deform to suit slopes etc) instead of plain quads.

I'm proud of this because I've had pretty much no education but I woke up one day and suddenly realised how to do polygon tesselation :P That was the only thing holding me back from making this a lot sooner.

Demo Video
Another Demo Video

LINK:

(Removed due to abuse)

Mapper is incomplete. For example, I haven't made the dialogue for setting ambient light... and you press 1 and 2 to add a light instead of using the proper menu method. I made a demo media pack (demopack) and a silly demo map called "demo" that you can load straight away through the file menu. If a map is currently lightmapped, the lightmap is saved to the file. Lights aren't saved to files. Didn't get 'round to properly managing lights. I was going to have all kinds of things. Local fog (made a nice lib for that), local sound emitters, triggers, spawn points... I guess thats all up to you guys now.

I haven't made an exporter but its easy to make a menu option to save it as that scene file that B3D uses... Sorry I don't know much about that but I didn't progress that far in to this project.

Happy to put this out there so it isn't wasted but PLEEAAAAASE give me my dues if you use this. Thanks =D

If anyone has any questions they will probably be answered faster if you email them. Click my name to get my current email. I didn't read through all that code so sorry if anything is offensive or just ming-boggling. :P There's a LOT to process but I know what it's like wanting to be part of something but not getting cooperation so I'll be as helpful as I can. Check this thread for answers first because I am kinda busy. :P

I think you'll find a lot of my libraries quite useful too. I can't remember what's unfinished and what's presentable...

Please post improved versions on the showcase forum along with the version number or ID you give it. I want this to be a community project. :D

KEEP IT OPEN SOURCE AND ACKNOWLEDGE ALL CONTRIBUTERS!!!

Last edited 2010

Drak(Posted 2010) [#2]
That, is sweet. I like it.

matibee(Posted 2010) [#3]
That's really impressive. If only that was possible in the days of Doom and Ed-map :)

GW(Posted 2010) [#4]
2 Thumbs up!

plash(Posted 2010) [#5]
Looks awesome!

N(Posted 2010) [#6]
Very nice.

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#7]
Thanks =D

Pete Carter(Posted 2010) [#8]
the light mapping is cool and nice editing from in the level. nice work. I take it this is blitzmax with minib3d?

joncom2000(Posted 2010) [#9]
Very nice editor, so simple to use by the look of it.

Charrua(Posted 2010) [#10]
nice work

Juan

*(Posted 2010) [#11]
that is sweet, would love to see the code to this :)

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#12]
Finally made another vid of it which showcases mesh-walls, slopes, and sectoids.

Sectoids are like sectors but represent nulspace (solid objects) instead of space. They aren't linked and have the same flexibility of sectors (slopes, mesh walls, blah blah. Dunno why I keep forgetting about them. They're quite handy.

Took a while to remember all the keyboard shortcuts. That's why I never bothered making another vid 'til today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1KbLKOGFqk

Sorry about quality but Youtube mangles everything. I have no idea how to please it.

Edit: AAAGH I forgot to demonstrate texture modes (per wall)! Stretched, Tiled, and Tiled that conforms to slopes. Plus you can stretch and offset them etc

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#13]
Pete Carter.. this is good old Blitz3D

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#14]
Saw the video - looks good! - Is this finished? Or is this an editor tool your going to release later.

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#15]
Wow!

I don't care if it's Bmax or B3D, this could be very nice to create some simple, quick levels :)

Where can I download it? Is there some code to load the resulting levels on B3D?

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#16]
Thanks.

Nah its something I started on a while ago and lost interest, really. I was gonna make an option to export maps into something blitz can read. I'd release the code but it uses some media protection code I don't want out there ;/

big10p(Posted 2010) [#17]
Thanks, made it in Blitz3D, which is slightly embarrasing.
Why's that embarrassing?

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#18]
Because its easier than knowing triganometry and DirectX interfaces. Let's face it.

plash(Posted 2010) [#19]
Because its easier than knowing triganometry and DirectX interfaces. Let's face it.
So what? What you're basically saying here is that everyone should feel embarrassed for not writing an entire engine along with each of their programs.. That's stupid. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel and waste time doing the same thing someone else has already done when you can use their work.

I'd release the code but it uses some media protection code I don't want out there ;/
Then just remove it.

big10p(Posted 2010) [#20]
Somewhat echoing what Plash said, I always thought easier was better?

Doggie(Posted 2010) [#21]
Uh...this should be continued. You needn't release any code but you must complete this editor. You have your instructions. I shall await the result.

DOG

Taron(Posted 2010) [#22]
Yup, that's somehow really reactivated excitement for fps games again. Congratulations, this is a delight to watch and makes me wonna play with it, too, haha! Wonderful!

stayne(Posted 2010) [#23]
"Thanks, made it in Blitz3D, which is slightly embarrasing."

What's up with that remark?

Romanski(Posted 2010) [#24]
This is really really impressing. Man I could spare a lot of time having something like that. congratulations. I think it's your decision to release the code or not..

But don't just let it get lost on your harddrive ;)

Keep up the good work man.

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#25]
Thanks everyone.

And everyone still talking about that "embarrassing" thing. Jesus... Look. Look how old the video is. I made it to show to mathmaticians (that my brother knows) who are more interested in the 3D engine maths than the final result, long before I realised I could showcase it here to my PEERS WITH THE SAME INTERESTS. I am not ashamed to be a Blitzer. If I was I wouldn't be on the forums and contributing like 5 things a week to the code archives.

In my life I've been on 4 forums, and on every single one I've been ganged up on after my FIRST POST over a misunderstanding, some of which I can't even blame them for. I swear to God. Can that not happen here please because Blitz is like my only hobby? I want to get along with everyone.

And yeh, Romanski, thanks. It IS my decision to release the code or not. I said it was intertwined with other code that I don't want out there but some people think its as easy as "just remove it". That is a huge job. And if I don't do it properly then the code I release will need a LOT of rewriting and filling-in before it'll even do anything. I don't even know if I have the original meshes etc so I might even have to remake them in a format Vanilla blitz can read without my lib.

However I AM going to try to work on the code to make it releasable, even though I'm busy with a commercial project, because I've practically decided that I'm not going to do anything commercial with this code anyway, so it should be out there, really. If I do release it, it will be an archive of several files (includable libraries etc). Can anyone tell me how to make that archive available and where to post it? Cheers.

Edit: Meh, screw it. I'll just release it as-is, media libs and-all. But you'll need FMOD and that zip lib to run it. My media archiving uses FMOD because it does extra things and, most importantly, lets you load samples from memory instead of only from file =D I think the media lib itself will prove more useful than the mapper :P ... ALSO I was gonna use the media lib in commercial projects so it's a big deal for me to release it. If you do use FMOD commercially you'll need to buy a one-off indie license.

Now please. I come in peace. I LOVE Blitz. That comment was out of context. It REALLY was. Can we start again?

Pete Carter(Posted 2010) [#26]
Its ok, I realy like what youve shown so far. I used to spend alot of time defending blitz products from friends who use C++/C# etc, but now I dont bother it works for me and that is what matters. As Ive always said, if its a good game who cares how it was made. :O) plus to me Blitzmax offers much more than any other langauge for making games.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#27]
This is a very interesting editor and im glad you are releasing it. Im sure I can learn somthing from it.

Thanks.

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#28]
Thanks.

Pete: I dont know a thing about bmax... I think I tried the demo for 30 seconds and it made me cry because it was so different. I have a very narrow comfort zone :P I used to code in QuickBasic 45, and before that BBC Micro Basic hehe

Pete Carter(Posted 2010) [#29]
its not as different as first seams and soon makes sense. the OO idea is optional but is amazing when you get your head round it.

N(Posted 2010) [#30]
Why does everyone seem to care more about him saying something is or isn't embarrassing when he's done something awesome?

matibee(Posted 2010) [#31]
By the tone of the replies I don't think anyone here has taken offense but don't forget the world can be full of egomaniacs that once they've written their first C++ code regard anything with the word basic in it as if it's something they'd wipe off their shoe.

Streaksy, I think you were being a overly defensive and understating your achievement.

Back on topic:

When do we get to play with this? If you want a "simpler" release instead of giving all your code away, just release a compiled exe with info on the file format(s). Any interested party could take it from there ;)

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#32]
File formats aren't a problem because when it's in uncompiled mode it just uses the actual media files.

My media lib is a fete in itself. At the start of the code there's a constant called BuildMode. if its 0, it uses the basic media files. If it's 1, it uses the all-in-one compiled file. If it uses 2 it compiles the all-in-one media file and runs in compiled mode. If it uses 3 it compiles and quits (so compiling is as easy as changing the value of BuildMode and pressing F5 :P . And it's all driven from a media list file that looks like:

[TEXTURE WALL2]
Filename=Media\textures\wall3.png
Mask=WALL2MASK
Flag=11
Group=Industrial

[SOUND MOO]
Filename=Media\sounds\moo.mp3
Looped=yes
Preload=yes <- means load it when the program starts instead of when it's called upon

[MESH ROBOT]
Filename=Media\meshes\robot.3ds

And when you want to use one in your project you just use:
tex=Texture("Wall2")
snd=Sound("Moo")
Mesh=MakeMesh("Robot") (i THINK its makemesh!)

Plus other media types. When you compile it, every file is compiled into one media file. There's also a language file that's compiled so you can easily add new language options. There's a config file that sets graphics mode (0,0 means it finds the highest mode available) and language file.

I can't remember if anything else is compiled.

Oh... and projects with my media lib use every media file in the data folder. So its easy to add "modules". Lets say you have media.rcf in the data folder which is your main module with all your media in it. If you copy addon.rct (or whatever) in to the data folder and run the editor, you'll find all of it's content is available. Or .lst if its the uncompiled equivelent. I had modding in mind.

Also like i mentioned earlier the sounds are driven with FMOD, and the media is handled with a zip lib. I think it was zlib.... I won't be able to suply those with the source code but I'll supply my .decls files and hopefully links to where you can get the 2 dlls. I'll suply a few textures and maybe a demo map, and the sound effects the editor uses.

OMG there are 17 libraries in this that I have to sort out and tidy up a bit. I better get my due acknowledgement if someone uses this or one of its libs :P

And yeh, I might have been overly defensive. I'm just cursed when it comes to forums.

Jason W.(Posted 2010) [#33]
Very nice!

Jason

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#34]
Why does everyone seem to care more about him saying something is or isn't embarrassing when he's done something awesome?
You do remember what forums you are on?

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#35]
I'm assuming there are some posts have been deleted, because I don't see any cause for drama here.

Anyway, the editor looks great, thanks for sharing!

*(Posted 2010) [#36]
I do wish they just put <Editted by Admin> on posts that are offensive that way at least we can get the jist of the topic.

plash(Posted 2010) [#37]
That comment was out of context. It REALLY was.
Maybe you should put it into context next time.

I do wish they just put <Editted by Admin> on posts that are offensive that way at least we can get the jist of the topic.
I don't think censorship is on the admin's agenda. It was likely an edit by the poster himself.

By the tone of the replies I don't think anyone here has taken offense [...]
I certainly haven't.

@Streaksy: Don't get so worked up over a clearly non-obvious statement.

EDIT:
And yeh, Romanski, thanks. It IS my decision to release the code or not.
No-one is forcing you to do anything.

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#38]
Ah, Plash.

Maybe you should put it into context next time. (the comment on the video)

It was in context at the time, for the people I originally intended to show the video who I talked to on MSN. They KNEW the context. I posted that video a LONG time ago.

I don't think censorship is on the admin's agenda. It was likely an edit by the poster himself.

Um.. nothing has been deleted...... I can still see it. But, okay. I censor now aswell. Sigh.

I certainly haven't. (taken offense)

Then explain this:

"So what? What you're basically saying here is that everyone should feel embarrassed for not writing an entire engine along with each of their programs.."

Sounds like the words of the offended to me. Certainly sounds like I should address the comment instead of ignoring people's mentions of it.

No-one is forcing you to do anything. (with regards to releasing the code)

And?

Then just remove it. (the media protection code from the mapper code)

Thanks for that insight, mate. It's that simple but I just didn't think of that.

Want me to stop being defensive? Sorry, but I'm getting comments that require defense. I'm trying to just wrap all of this up.

At risk of turning this thread in to a flame war, your comments (Plash) are pedantic and provocative. "Then just remove it." Jeez. Do you pick apart what everyone says or just people who have offended you at some point? Oh, wait. I didn't offend you. I'm confused. It's like saying "My roof is broken" and someone going "Well, fix it, then." as if it's that simple. Rude. In real life you wouldn't dream of talking to someone like that. I know I wouldn't. That's how you respond to people who you have a grudge with. If you don't have a grudge with me then I'm sorry. But it really seems like you do. Not saying it's the drama of the century but I'm just addressing how you seem to percieve me.

My comment on the video is still being talked about. Fair enough. The fact that it's still there proves I don't censor or backtrack. I don't take it back. But, again, it was meant in a specific context. It was misunderstood. I've done nothing wrong and so I find myself compelled to explain it.

I love Blitz3D (and have done since it's release), I appreciate all the contributions to the code archives - some of which have made a big difference (the YAL lightmapper blows me away!) and I really admire some of the contributers, I like the people on the forums, some of their showcases makes my jaw drop, I'm proud of my projects and achievements in B3D.... But guess what. When talking to people who make 3D engines from scratch, I am embarrassed to be submitting my work as "a 3D engine" as I did not make that aspect of it. Doesn't mean I'm ashamed of Blitz. It just means I'm embarrassed to be submitting a project made in it as something it isn't - a personal fete of DirectX technology interface. Having said all that, read the comment again. "It was made in Blitz3D which is slightly embarrassing." Does it make more sense now? This was talking to people who showcase their assembly engines and explain it in algebra (or something) that looks like arabic to me. Then I come along and go "Uuhhhh.... Yeah I make 3D engines too."

And if you think I'm being overly defensive again, I'm just explaining myself as best I can. I waffle on sometimes. I just don't want to have a bad start on the forums because I plan on being here a while.

plash(Posted 2010) [#39]
Um.. nothing has been deleted...... I can still see it. But, okay. I censor now aswell. Sigh.
I had assumed the quote was from these forums. I never checked the video (for the comment), and that was never explained until now.

Sounds like the words of the offended to me. Certainly sounds like I should address the comment instead of ignoring people's mentions of it.
It wasn't. I've never even used Blitz3D.

And?
Nothing more to it.

Thanks for that insight, mate. It's that simple but I just didn't think of that.
I don't know how you implement your code.

My comment on the video is still being talked about.
Again, I did not know that the comment was from the video until now.

I'll just stop here because a flame war is exactly where this will end up.

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#40]
I think you really need to stop being so sensitive. I mean, this thread isn't even on the critical side, it's almost entirely people telling you how awesome your sector editor is, but you're choosing to focus on one or two comments that rubbed you the wrong way.

Note that Plash's very first post in this thread was

Looks awesome!

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#41]
You know what... Maybe I'm getting worked up over nothing afterall. Sorry everyone. I'm just cursed when it comes to forums. Sick of being ganged up on over nothing so I'm maybe a bit paranoid. What I definitely am is too old for this silliness.

I don't want this thread to be moved to the top of the list unless a comment is about the actualy topic so I'll drop it.

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#42]
Yeh, jhocking I did notice that actually =/

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#43]
I've got the source for this ready to distribute now. Now I just need someone to tell me how the heck to go about it. There are a lot of files..

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#44]
Uploading =D

FBEpyon(Posted 2010) [#45]
Hello Everyone

I have been using Blitz Produces for a long time now and I am amazed to see all the programs coming thru, but this is by far my most favirote project so far.

I have been looking for a Editor like this that we can work togeather and make a larger Blitz Research project.

Streaksy :
This is Amazing what you have done here.. I would love to get my hands on this as well, but this is your choice and having something this amazing out to the public would deffentiy bring light to a dying Blitz3D, as I have switch most of my time to BlitzMax with MiniB3d, which this could also be useful to make a editor using the MAXGUI.

Anyways, let us all know what you are planning on doing; like I said your project your choice don't lets us be the influincers.

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#46]
Wow... thats.... flattering. The editor isn't finished but I've done the hard parts =D

I'm happy for people to pick my code to bits and put their own take on it as long as I get a mention.

It's uploaded btw >D Posting the link in the main post text.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#47]
how many files?

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#48]
quite a few but theyre all contained in a rar with the correct folder structure.

FBEpyon... I'm framing what you said and hanging it over my bed :P

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#49]
Oh. and I think there is a certain join-wall anomoly when latteral slopes are involved. I remember thinking I'll fix it later. It just needs more checks on the join-wall building.

Doggie(Posted 2010) [#50]
I put the decls and the dlls in the userlibs of B3d but I'm still getting function not found errors. I'm not a programmer so is there something I'm missing of getting this up and running? Thanks

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#51]
the dlls were in the right place. in the dll folder. the only files you need to move are the decls

AltanilConard(Posted 2010) [#52]
Great editor, looks easy to use and the lightmapping gives a real neat effect. Something like this could be very useful, thanks for releasing the source.

FBEpyon(Posted 2010) [#53]
Hello,

After a few modifications I was able to get the editor to work, its amazing peace of work, I just wish the code was broken down and there was more comments if we/you are going to work on it as a community..

There are a few speed improvements and maybe some things we need to add to help protect the use of outragious polygons, it takes a while to proccess them on my I7 imagtion what its like on slower machines :P..

Anyways I think we all need to work togeather and comment work out the code and documment is some more on how it works, I have already gotten some of it worked out on my own (being that i'm converting it to Minib3d).

Let me know what you think...

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2010) [#54]
How did you get it to work. I get an error that says, "Function 'api_showwindow' not found".

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2010) [#55]
...and "AlphaRect"

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2010) [#56]
FBEpyon, can you share your working source?

FBEpyon(Posted 2010) [#57]
Yes I will upload it tonight..

Working Code

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#58]
You can just stick a ; at the start of the api_showwindow !!!

That's because I was tinkering with the .exe ... I forgot about that.

Alpharect should work. It's a function in DrawTexture.bb. You didn't move any of the files did you? Apart from the DECLs...

FBEpyon(Posted 2010) [#59]
It works fine from what I can tell, I just woul dlike to see some more commenting on the code, I was trying to break the code down in BlitzMax, but I can't figure out what all the Vars are for..?

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#60]
Yeh its kinda complicated... sorry..

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#61]
ugg I cant get this to work, yes I downloaded FBEpyon's fixed code, put the decels in my userlibs folder opened it in b3d pressed run and it says api_showwindow not found :(

FBEpyon(Posted 2010) [#62]
Just comment it out Nate the Great, if the user32.dll and decel are not in the userlib folder under blitz3d.

Panno(Posted 2010) [#63]
Thx for sharing the source :)

John Blackledge(Posted 2010) [#64]
Same as Nate, except I get 'duplicate indentifier', then Blitz shuts down.
So I can't even open the code.

Does anyone have a working version of this?

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#65]
Thats strange. Worked fine for me. Just noticed FBEpyon shared a working version. Cool.

Can't imagine why youre getting duplicte identifier, and a blitz crash. That is bizarre. You sure the files are in the right place and the api_showwindow line is removed?

IMPORTANT: The accomponying DLLs stay where the are! But the DECLs should be moved to the right place. And the API_ShowWindow line should be removed or commented-out with a cheeky semicolon.

Flemmonk(Posted 2010) [#66]
Awesome Streaksy I can now make awesome duke nuken 3d build maps again.

John Blackledge(Posted 2010) [#67]
No, still get 'duplicate indentifier' no matter what I do.

Does anyone have a compiled version?

Pineapple(Posted 2010) [#68]
I'm looking forward to using this when it's complete.