Technology showcase

Community Forums/Showcase/Technology showcase

JoshK(Posted 2010) [#1]
Rate & comment please:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMGRFjzMi7g

Proudly made with BlitzMax. :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#2]
Looks great. This is the best that you're engine has looked, ever.

One tiny comment to the contrary... when you are underwater, it doesn't make sense for everything to ripple and distort so much, although it's a cool effect. Surely when *under* water only stuff seen beyond the surface would ripple, and everything is actually quite clear and stable.? That's the only thing that struck me, otherwise looks great.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#3]
ya the ripple effect should effect the lighting of the sub-surface from the light rays passing through the surface. And I think the view could be zoomed a little as well

The rest is awesome!

Warpy(Posted 2010) [#4]
Gosh, that all looks very nice. You're a clever chap, Josh.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#5]
Wow! Almost photo-realisic. Only negative is the obvious drawing as you approach objects.

Vorderman(Posted 2010) [#6]
That looks really nice, but I agree with ImaginaryHuman - the underwater rippling effect spoils it as it looks very unnatural. Also there are a few really obvious pop-ins of bushes, especially in the field where the cows are.

Apart from those minor issues it looks top-notch, reminds me those Alan Wake tech videos.

Taron(Posted 2010) [#7]
Very beautiful and amazing! Congratulations!
The trees and foliage...ah, hell..pretty much everything looks stunning. I'm sure youtube doesn't even do justice to it. If there was one thing I'd see as improvable, it's the surface of the water. But that's nearly neglectible.

Fantastic!

puki(Posted 2010) [#8]
I couldn't get to see this yesterday, but I just watched it. Yeh, total overload to the sexual senses. I too found the underwater view a bit odd - bit too much rippling going on. Still, it's the vedgetation levels that are going to start making people paw at their clothes.

I think some birds would look great - maybe a soaring eagle. Maybe a deer/moose, shooting across as the camera swoops buy.

From a GDC point of view though, I think people will be like a 'dog with a bone' as to what happens to the vedgetation level when you merge a full game into this.

I still cling to Blitz3D and know, deep down, that I will regret it as I remain the only Blit3D user in 2025 and beyond. Hard-core until I die.

plash(Posted 2010) [#9]
The video looks like it was coded with a really crappy codec.
Other than that, and the object-nearing rendering, it looks great.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#10]
I think that once I finish up what I'm doing I'm going to make a utopia type game with this engine... I was going to do a space game but I think this idea would be more fun all around to make.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#11]

The video looks like it was coded with a really crappy codec.

Yes, I's like to see it running at a higher resolution.

xmlspy(Posted 2010) [#12]
I demand at least a 720p video to fully appreciate this video.

caff_(Posted 2010) [#13]
Like it.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#14]
Looks good. I didn't enjoy the part where I narrowly missed flying into a cow's bottom, though.

Pete Carter(Posted 2010) [#15]
i think the pop in would be ok ish on the ground most engines popin quite bad when your high up.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#16]
For my part I loved the underwater scene !
I think this engine is capable of some physics simulation, so perhaps a little something is missing in this area.

Streaksy(Posted 2010) [#17]
Woa. That's crazy >D