Table top wargaming battle report editor-animated

Community Forums/Showcase/Table top wargaming battle report editor-animated

Matty(Posted 2010) [#1]
Good Morning,

I play the occasional table top wargame with little plastic figures (AT-43 in this case) and often people write battle reports which usually consist of photographs and hopefully some textual descriptions to go with them describing what happened in their game.

Anyway, I've had this thought in the past of making a computerised 'simulation'/'replay' tool for such things but have always been stuck thinking I'd have to 3d model all the fighters/units...but there is no need to do it that way I've found. Instead I've taken pictures of some of my models against a coloured background and used good old blitz3d/blitzplus to remove the background so it could be used as a texture.

So - what you have here is a simple to use battle report editor and viewer.

How to use:
after installation (unzip - run exe) - the default 'demo' battle report is loaded initially. You can create a new battle report, save a battle report or load a battle report or view the battle report in motion.

Camera movement similar to RTS with moving the mouse to the edge of the screen, and using the A/Z keys to zoom in/out.

Left click on a menu option or fighter will select them. A box goes around menu option / fighter animates to indicate selected. Right click to give the selected order to the fighter.

Mouse scroll wheel is used to choose a different unit to place, select for instance "Assault Golem" with the left mouse button then right click on the terrain where you want it to go.

Issuing orders such as teleport/direct fire/indirect fire/flamer etc requires the user to first have selected a fighter then to right click on the target location. Currently no 'indicator' that you've issued a fire order etc is shown but on viewing the replay you will see the effects of the shooting etc.

Comments may be inserted which appear on the screen during replay mode.

Backspace de-selects all (menu options & fighters)
Delete key (not numeric keypad) will delete the most recent orders...allows you to go back in time basically.
Space bar resets the camera view.
Drag selecting is also possible of units.
Left clicking on a unit toggles its selection status.

Note also - currently I've only got one army in the program (Therians from AT-43) but more will come soon.
Also - only one map is available currently...I will eventually have a 'map editor'.

Queries regarding feedback:

I'm mainly after improving the user interface..graphics/sounds etc can wait...so I'm keen to hear further ideas on whether it is currently easy to use, or how you may do it differently.

Here it is:

http://home.people.net.au/%7Etmalcolm/AT43/battlereporter4/AT43BattleReporter.zip
from Matt

Matty(Posted 2010) [#2]
Another update - see first post - new download and screenshot.

Fixes some bugs, improves a few effects, some Karman units available, hopefully more user-friendly interface, timeline, all keyboard commands now available with mouse as well. Improved save / load routine - load routine allows you to select from file rather than type in value.

Creation of custom maps (containers / low high walls / nanogenerators can be placed)

Please let me know any additional features that would be good.
Also whether the interface is user friendly enough.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#3]
No Comments...at all...in a week.... :-(

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#4]
I'm sure this would be really interesting to people that play games like that. I think most people here are video game oriented which is an entirely different world.

Looks good so far though... I wish I had time enough to get bored enough to play board games ;)

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#5]
is there a complex gameplay?

Matty(Posted 2010) [#6]
Hi ShadowTurtle - not sure what you mean about complex gameplay - this is not a game in itself, it is simply a program that allows you to create a 'battle report' after a game with little plastic / metal men and then watch that battle report or show it to others. The game that I've mainly designed it for "AT-43" is a tactically complex game but not a complex game when it comes to actual game mechanics.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#7]
Updated with UNA & ONI forces (not that that would mean much to folks around here I guess)...

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#8]
I don't mind the table top type games. On first glance, i though it was a game. I've always wanted to do a sort of table top type game in blitz. You could have really good detail and graphics in it, but... i dunno :)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2010) [#9]
computerised table top gaming would be the only way id play them
i sucked at painting and i never had and even more so now, the space to set em up (or any one i didnt hate to play against)

heroquest and spacehulk on the amiga were great but afaik that was it

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#10]
looks like a good 3d model placement tool .

Matty(Posted 2010) [#11]
Hello,
Hey Ginger Tea - I agree with the whole painting thing which is why I play AT43 - this uses pre-painted and pre-assembled figures so you can just buy 'em and play with 'em straight away.

But yes they do take up space...and finding friendly (as opposed to hyper-competitive) opponents can be difficult...

Blitzplotter - I guess it could be used as a 3d model placement tool....

From Matt

Mainsworthy(Posted 2010) [#12]
I think many more coders should do stuff like this