Eschalon: Book II Teaser

Community Forums/Showcase/Eschalon: Book II Teaser

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#1]
Started a new thread because the old one was getting a bit long and cluttered. Anyways, I just released the teaser trailer for Book II.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcxtmDaHZls

To those who don't know, this game is 100% BlitzMax and 100% cross-platform with Win, Mac and Linux.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#2]
Looks awesome...nice work!

xmlspy(Posted 2010) [#3]
Now that's a killer trailer.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#4]
OOoer... that's exciting music :-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#5]
Nice. Can't believe it's been 2 years since the first one. This one should be epic, looking forward to it.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#6]
As indie trailers go, that's a beauty! :D

Cannot wait for a play!

Top stuff! ;)

Dabz

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#7]
Looks pretty awesome really. Clearly a lot of work has gone into it. :-)

zambani(Posted 2010) [#8]
The trailer is awesome. The lighting effect is well done.

Why0Why(Posted 2010) [#9]
Love the effects and exceptionally well done trailer!

Ked(Posted 2010) [#10]
Trailer is utterly epic. Pretty amazing to say the least.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#11]
Exceptional showcase for an indie developer.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#12]
Wow, I really like the trailer. What software did you use to make that ?

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#13]
Wow, I really like the trailer. What software did you use to make that ?

FRAPs for the video capture.
Adobe Premiere for the editing.

Thanks for the very kind words, everyone!

MGE(Posted 2010) [#14]
Epic. wow.. But uh...what's with the immature fanboy video comments? Or is the younger male the demographic for this type of game now days?

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#15]
I was excited until i checked the price tag on Adobe Premiere :)

skn3(Posted 2010) [#16]
Awesome trailer! The game looks very good indeed!

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#17]
I really don't care for those kind of games, but the trailer does look very nice -- great soundtrack too, are you using that in the actual game as well?

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#18]
Release date has been announced for those of you interested: May 12 for Windows, May 26 for Mac & Linux.

http://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3004

Jason W.(Posted 2010) [#19]
Excellent news!!

Tachyon,

Will the E2 support higher(and widescreen) display resolutions?

Jason

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#20]
I think I might buy this and then take a vacation to play it!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#21]
...very very nice work..i like it

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#22]
- Will there be a demo version too?
- Will you offer a special book I + II edition?

*(Posted 2010) [#23]
must resist buying it, must resist dont have the time...... :)

puki(Posted 2010) [#24]
I never played the original; however, there is a demo and I am going to download it right now:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/25600

I may even buy it - if I like the demo.

puki(Posted 2010) [#25]
Bloody hell!!!
The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request.

I have never seen that before. Is half the world downloading the demo?

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#26]
There you go... http://www.gamershell.com/download_38162.shtml
But you don't need to download the demo, just buy the game. 8)

A demo for Book II isn't out yet?

puki(Posted 2010) [#27]
It doesn't mention Blitz3D.

There is a reference to The Blitz Community and Blitz Research Ltd - but that is it.

It's odd that quite a few games don't ever seem to mention they are made with a Blitz product.

The point being, if people knew that this was made by Blitz3D, they'd probably want to buy Blitz3D, or at least try the demo.

Also, if people know that you used something like Blitz3D, they'd probably think more of your game because they are then aware that you aren't just another C++ programmer who can't implement anything beyond DX7.

It's okay to be a Blitz3D developer - we simply must take pride in Blitz3D - it is 9/10 years old and it is still hanging in there with the big-boys.

Blitz3D just wants the chance - it may plod along trying to keep up - but it will try if we try. It will show determination against all odds if we lead it. It will follow where we lead it.

Blitz3D does what it says on the tin. It doesn't mislead us with false promises of its ability.

Must we treat it like a white family in 1960's Mississippi that have adopted a crippled, black, midget and keep it hidden under a blanket in case anyone notices it?

There are hundreds of thousands of coders, all over the world, using all kinds of things like C++, Unity, Ogre, Torque, TV3D, C4, Leadwerks, Irrilicht, Nebula Device 2, etc, etc, and yet, even combined, they still cannot hold Blitz3D back.

Blitz3D doesn't give up because it cannot give up - it's paw may be lame, it's back may be broke, but it will still crawl on its belly to keep up.

It was released in 2001 - it is DX7 - it has virtually none of the features of its competitors, yet it fights every competing product like a lion.

Blitz3D has one thing, it has international respect and appeal. You can mention Blitz3D on other forums and people will know its name - they will know its voice. They've heard its roar. There's an army of Blitzers out there using Blitz3D who are not on these forums. Some are using illegal copies, some are using the demo - but they are using it.

The art of acceptance is the art of making someone who has just done you a small favor wish that he might have done you a greater one.

My head will never hang in shame of Blitz3D. I fear the day when Blitz3D will no longer work - not because it cannot or because it will not or because it simply gave up, but because future technology refuses to let it work.

All the programming languages and engines in the world cannot hold Blitz3D back, but one day (and that day will probably come), technology will finally take his brave little fight for life - the odds will be stacked to high, the mountain to steep, the valley to wide. A desert will blanket the lush fields that Blitz3D once roamed in and he will curl up in a ball and pass on. But he will be remembered.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#28]
It's odd that quite a few games don't ever seem to mention they are made with a Blitz product.
Eschalon is in the professional games market. Nobody cares what it was made with.

If it was a tech demo then a mention of Blitz3D would probably be expected, but at the end of the day, this is a professional game, not a Blitz marketing tool.

dmaz(Posted 2010) [#29]
Eschalon 1 and 2 are done with BlitzMax.

puki(Posted 2010) [#30]
Ah, I wondered why it didn't use proper 3D.

Say no more.

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#31]
Eschalon 1 and 2 are done with BlitzMax.

Correct, and I share that with everyone who asks. I'm sure Eschalon has "sold" several copies of BlitzMax over the past couple years.

- Will there be a demo version too?
- Will you offer a special book I + II edition?

The demo will be the "full version" with limited area. You can buy a reg code to unlock the entire game.

No, there will be no Book 1/2 combo right now. But there will be a Book 1/2/3 Collectors Edition later on.