Darkened Worlds

Community Forums/Showcase/Darkened Worlds

grindalf(Posted 2010) [#1]
I've tried making this game in 3D before but found it to tiresome to do 3D design(especially the animations) so I decided to change to 2D as I find sprites allot easier :D

It will have a Tales of Phantasia style battle system(but with a little more freedom of control) and will hopefully be about 15 hours or more of game play.
I would like to sell it when its finished but I'm not sure on pricing what sort of price do you think would be good for a 2D RPG?

Zethrax(Posted 2010) [#2]
Looks interesting.

For pricing, I'd say somewhere in the $7 to $20 range. Probably better at $7 to $13.

Sauer(Posted 2010) [#3]
Did you do the artwork yourself?

grindalf(Posted 2010) [#4]
@Sauer
Yes all graphics are done by me :D
@bill
Thanks, I was thinking of between 9 and 12 dollers myself.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#5]
Looks good. I would suggest to reduce the contrast/brightness of that grass. It is almost like looking at an optical illusion.

Also you need to define the cliff top, cliff wall and ground-level a bit better. At the moment they seem to merge into one.

Sauer(Posted 2010) [#6]
I agree with the above post, but for the most part I think the graphics look pretty good. They have a unique look to them, as they are not Anime or Retro, which seems to be what most 2D RPG's are using anymore.

The house roof looks a little funny too, but I lack the artistic skills to suggest an alternative ;)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#7]
Thanks, I was thinking of between 9 and 12 dollers myself.
I would have a look at Reflexive or BigFishGames and check out the quality of what $6.99 gets you these days.

Regarding the graphics - the colours are nauseating and I think the overall standard is quite amateurish. But I do think that's mainly down to the colours and the grass texture which is visibly repetitive. Sort that out, and redo the colouring and it should look 100% better for it.

grindalf(Posted 2010) [#8]
Yeah the grass is way to bright and has a visable grid which I really have to fix.
Im not sure what you mean about the cliff skn3[ac] but I will have a look into it.

Duckstab[o](Posted 2010) [#9]
well there is no real difference between the top and bottom of the cliff so having a Bottom tiles with some random stones,pebbles or weeds will be good.

or Making the Bottom set of Cliff tiles shaded

All your trees have a lightsource but there is no indication that the cliff is elevated due to no shadows shading ect

grindalf(Posted 2010) [#10]
I get you about the cliff, thanks :D

I was gunna make shadowed grass tiles for things like the cliffs and house but I wanted to fix my grass first so I did have that in mind. the bottum set of cliff tiles being shaded is a good idea I never thought of that thanks :D

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#11]
You did the graphics yourself? Thats really weird.. I could swear that you were using a tileset from the web. I downloaded a tonne of them from a web site that was saying they were all PD (I've since learned they are not necessarily) but the trees and the ridgeline graphics look identical... in my memory that is ;)

grindalf(Posted 2010) [#12]
well some of the tiles should be similer to rpgmaker tiles but anyway the breakdown goes like this

I made the cliffs from scratch
the trees were made useing rpgmakerxp as a refrence(although they look quite difrent as the light source is the opisite side)
the house tiles I made from scratch
for the roof tiles and dirt tiles I used rpgmaker 2003 as a refrence
and for the grass I used a pixelart tutorial to do them(because I suck at grass)
http://www.toolkitzone.com/library.php?doc=438

Flemmonk(Posted 2010) [#13]
I think you should continue with your 3d version

grindalf(Posted 2010) [#14]
I think thats the most encouragment Ive ever had for it :D
but for now im gunna stick with 2D at least finish 1 2d rpg before I try and do a 3D one.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#15]
I like the 2d version as well. Looks good