The Bloobles Released!

Community Forums/Showcase/The Bloobles Released!

therevills(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi All,

We are pleased to announce that our latest game has been released:

The Bloobles and The Quest for Chocolate

Take control of The Bloobles and help them on their way in The Quest for Chocolate in this platform puzzle game...

• 100 Levels
• 22 Achievements
• 10 Actions
• 4 Worlds to Explore
• 4 Mini-Games to Unlock
• 2 Game Modes
• Hours of fun!

Only $4.95 :)

http://www.therevillsgames.com/bloobles.html

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#2]
loooking goood... nice work!

Ked(Posted 2010) [#3]
Looks very nice!

One thing though: The background might need to be blurred out a little more. The trees in the background and the green tiles in the foreground blend together or something and it's a little hard to look at. :)

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#4]
Looks good - It's like lemmings right?

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#5]
Congrats on the release and good luck with it. It looks great, although I agree with Ked that it's important in games like this to have some contrast between the foreground and background.

puki(Posted 2010) [#6]
Looks great - I remember that blue frog thing when he was first shown off - seems like ages ago.

matibee(Posted 2010) [#7]
Nice one! But why aren't the player profiles and progress common between the demo and the full version. I can't be bothered with those tutorial levels again - it would have been nice to skip them the first time, us oldies know how to play lemmings ya know :)

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#8]
Congrats on the release therevills! :)

Top job!

Dabz

Taron(Posted 2010) [#9]
Woops, I can't believe I closed the browser before posting my reply yesterday...pffff. It red almost exactly like Grey Alien's.
Congrats on the release...etc...etc...

Except I was gonna add: The torchlight set looks great! ;)

It took me a moment to slow my pace down to the kind of patience required to get through the tutorial, but it's a neat lemmingette game. Reminds me that I oh so want a new version of worms, if someone remembers that?! Hmmmm....

Anyway, great job and best of luck!

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#10]
I think a parallax effect on the background would solve the contrast issue since the slight movement would differentiate the layers

InvisibleKid(Posted 2010) [#11]
i don't find the backgrounds bothersome at all and i've played the first world sevral times and part of the second world.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#12]
Looks cool, looking towards the mac version.

One comment, on your site you describe the game briefly and follow it by a bunch of technical statistics - ie 100 levels, 54 enemies, 4 powerups or whatever. Sometimes I just don't know if this is really the right way to advertise or market a game. They are almost more like the developer boasting to themselves about their technical achievements without really telling us *anything* about the game content, how fun it will be, what it will do for us, etc. I know lots of people do this but maybe it would be better to elaborate on the story/atmosphere. Just a thought.

therevills(Posted 2010) [#13]
Thanks for the comments guys :)

The background might need to be blurred out a little more.

I did try it with several different effects of blur, to me anyway the more blur it had the harder it was to look at...

It's like lemmings right?

Very... but the environment isnt totally destroyable... I think its more a cross between Lemmings and Toki Tori..

But why aren't the player profiles and progress common between the demo and the full version.

Thanks for buying it Matt :)
Because I create two exe (full and demo) with different names the profiles go into different folders. If you want you can rename your demo profile, just remove the word "demo" and it should work...

The torchlight set looks great! ;)

Doesnt it :)

seems like ages ago.

Its nearly been a year in off and on development for this project... it feels strange that its done...

kind of patience required to get through the tutorial

You can always turn it off ;)

Looks cool, looking towards the mac version.

Hopefully within a week.

maybe it would be better to elaborate on the story/atmosphere. Just a thought.

Shows how much I suck at marketing doesnt it... Ill work on it.

Again thanks for the comments.

matibee(Posted 2010) [#14]
Thanks for buying it Matt :)

No problem :)
Because I create two exe (full and demo) with different names the profiles go into different folders. If you want you can rename your demo profile, just remove the word "demo" and it should work...

That does work, but it shouldn't really be like that. Can't you set the app data folder to be the same? Everyone that buys will expect to continue where they left off and not everyone that buys will know how the GAF stores its data ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#15]
Can't you set the app data folder to be the same?
How about keeping the filename the same (so that all the framework code writes to the same folder for demo/full version) and just installing to a different folder (with DEMO) on the end?

therevills(Posted 2010) [#16]
Sounds like a good idea, Ill do it on the weekend :)

In other news... Mac version is up :)

matibee(Posted 2010) [#17]
I'm not sure turning off the tutorials makes any difference. I started a new game without the tutorials on and still had to go through the learn-to-jump, learn-to-block levels etc with the full intro text. So what does the tutorials "off" button do??

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#18]
I am downloading to try out and I like the graphics of it :)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#19]
for £4 for cool game and I have bought it because I love the music,graphics and gameplay :)

I hope you do make more games in future :)

steve_ancell(Posted 2010) [#20]
Although I said over on SoCoder that I didn't like the name (I preferred "The Munchies")... I still went ahead and bought a copy. And the very low price for the amount of high quality that has been put into this game, it's worth every penny.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#21]
Nicely done. Always liked Lemmings, and this is less fiddly as the characters are bigger. Will play some more later, but yes, the trees in the background should have been a few shades lighter than the grass in the foreground.

The gameplay is really quite good! :-)

[Edit]
Actually the gameplay is excellent. :-D

therevills(Posted 2010) [#22]
Thanks for the support guys :)

Glad you like it.

the trees in the background should have been a few shades lighter than the grass in the foreground.

I would have thought it better the other way around... the trees should be darker than the grass - LOL

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#23]

the trees should be darker than the grass - LOL

Things are darker and have more contrast in the foreground - lighter in the distance. The further away, the lighter and less contrast they have. :-)

DarkMere(Posted 2010) [#24]
Bought this for the kids, but have ended up playing it more than they have. Very good, even runs on my pathetically slow laptop. Not sure why you priced it so low, I have paid far more for far worse. Has to be a major bargain!

Chalky(Posted 2010) [#25]
The demo was excellent. This is really good - congratulations. I did try to buy a copy, but after completing my order form and paying by Paypal, I received an email from Plimus in which it stated that:

Unfortunately we are unable to approve your order at this time because of the following: Inconsistent contact / billing information

My payment was also refunded which is a pity as I really wanted to buy/play it. Anyway - I wish you every success with this - it really does deserve to do well.

therevills(Posted 2010) [#26]

Not sure why you priced it so low

I looked around a couple of months ago and indie/casual games where getting cheaper, so I thought I had better drop my prices too ;)

Bought this for the kids, but have ended up playing it more than they have.

Thanks for buying it :) And its great to see people enjoying the game.

I did try to buy a copy

Plimus was doing some maintance so I wonder if that stopped the transaction...

Maybe try again :P

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#27]
Cute graphics (I especially like the platforms). Did you hire a pixel-artist to do all the work?

Good luck with your sales!

CGV(Posted 2010) [#28]
Congrats on the release. You did a really good job but your price doesn't reflect that.

You should be charging at least $9.95 for this. Lots of indies are charging more than the portals.

Of course, I went ahead and purchased it at $4.95 before posting this. ;)

BTW, do the in-game instructions mention that the number keys can be used to select the actions. I think that's going to matter at the higher levels where things get hectic.

therevills(Posted 2010) [#29]
Thanks for buying it CGV :)

I thought the $4.95 would be good for impulse buyers ;)

Did you hire a pixel-artist to do all the work?

Not quite ;) The main sprites/tileset/titlescreen was done by Marc Russell and my wife and I did all the rest...

therevills(Posted 2011) [#30]
After nearly a year BFG has finally put The Bloobles on its site :D

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/11060/the-bloobles/index.html

Last edited 2011

CGV(Posted 2011) [#31]
Congrats,

I noticed the game is not in the affiliate feed.

Did you not allow them to release it to affiliates to protect your direct sales or was it there decision?

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#32]
Is there any chance you could put a 'Skip' button on the application icon so that I can skip straight to the credits?

tar

*Dabz runs*

:P

Dabz

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#33]
lmao @ Dabz, ya tinker.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#34]
I noticed the game is not in the affiliate feed.

I wonder if its because its a "soft" release...

'Skip' button on the application icon so that I can skip straight to the credits

Come over here... I'll personally give you a "skip"... >:D

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#35]
How come it took BFG a year to decide?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#36]
It didnt they took it when I sent it to them (signed contract etc), but it took a year to put it on the site... After 2 months of waiting for it to be released, I was emailed Tyler about every month or so asking when... no idea why it took so long... apart from "isnt a typical release on our site":

This was the first email from them:

Thanks for sending this in to us. While The Bloobles isn't
a typical release on our site, we are still able to give you guys a
launch on PC/Mac sections with limited front page promotion if you are
at all interested. This would slot your game into the Today's New Game
section along with whichever game was launched that day.

Last edited 2011

CGV(Posted 2011) [#37]
You might also want to ask them about the affiliate feed.

It's not at all uncommon for them to forget to put things in their affiliate feeds. They've even forgotten on occasion to include the image links to some games.

They may not believe the game will do well on their site but it could certainly do well on some of the affiliate sites.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#38]
Just emailed them thanks CGV... (also asked about the Mac release)

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#39]
It didnt they took it when I sent it to them (signed contract etc), but it took a year to put it on the site... After 2 months of waiting for it to be released, I was emailed Tyler about every month or so asking when... no idea why it took so long... apart from "isnt a typical release on our site":

They bump games they consider not to suit their target audience for games more in line with their "key demographics". Since they get a LOT of casual game submissions, this means that games like this - which with all due respect are not casual games in the sense that BFG uses the phrase - can keep being bumped because new games keep queue-jumping above them.

They did this with Kick Shot Pool. I think Kick Shot Pool - which also was not a casual game in the sense that BFG uses the phrase - took about five or six weeks, but that was a long time ago and a lot of BFG's rivals have shut up shop or died on their arse since then, so BFG are likely getting a lot more submissions now. They're certainly more fixated on their core audience than ever.

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#40]

They're certainly more fixated on their core audience than ever.

Their not the only ones... After I submitted Nags to a few, the 'only' things to knock it back were 'The controls were too hard'... Which is fair do's, I could of changed them within an hour... But, final nail in the coffin was something along the lines of 'Our customers dont like these games, check out what we have on our site blah blah blah'

Some were really helpful, I havent got the emails anymore, but one actually turned it down, yet provided me with a list of little bugs they'd found, which was handy!!!

I never heard anything from BFG at all, I was a bit disappointed in them really because people spend a long time making a game, and I suppose I expected a little common courtesy in regards to a plain and simple aye or a nor email... Instead of having people hanging on for weeks/months/forever!

Never mind though! ;)

Dabz

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#41]
Interesting info thanks

therevills(Posted 2011) [#42]
@CGV can you see if The Bloobles is on their affiliate feeds please? (Also could you tell me how to check?) Thanks!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#43]
This is a good game (I bought it). I'd say it was harder than Lemmings, it was based on. lol, no wonder the play it safe portals were unsure. Maybe we need to look elsewhere, unless we are releasing a match 3 game.

CGV(Posted 2011) [#44]
Yep, it's now in the affiliate feed, here it is on my site: The Bloobles

I've emailed you the affiliate feed link via the contact form on your site.

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#45]
@Steve - Glad you enjoyed it! How far did you get with it?

@CGV - Thanks for checking and thanks for the link!

therevills(Posted 2011) [#46]
The Mac version is now for sale at Big Fish Games :)

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/11337/mac/the-bloobles/index.html

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#47]

@Steve - Glad you enjoyed it! How far did you get with it?

I did. Haven't had much time to play it, but I will get back to it and see how far I can get.