Awesome Glass Pong Dude

Community Forums/Showcase/Awesome Glass Pong Dude

Taron(Posted 2010) [#1]
Yeah, man, it's like a totally awesome glass pong, dude. And, like, freaking annoying, man. Have a go at it, dude!

Well, kind of something like that, not my genre, really. But glass pong just seemed too tempting. All that it is is the following:

- Just a FBO test program that turned pong
- If you don't see glass, this FBO stuff ain't working for ya' (And that makes me sad.)
- I'm not sure, yet, but it might just work on ATI as well?!
- openAL is also good to have, if you want sound. Used my Syntaron to make a few quick noises. Kinda fun!
- Awesome does in no way describe the quality, it's just me trying to be funny!

AwesomeGlassPongDude.rar (101kb)

Well, I hope it runs for a lot of you and you get a bit of a kick out of it. I can't believe how easy it is to write a pong game, by the way. Initially it took me literally less than 10 minutes. Later I wrote some more complicated computer intelligence and some more gimmiks. I have no real intentions to make this into more than this, but eventually I may have some more fun with it, too.

OH, and I havn't yet managed to get beyond level 10! I dare Ya'!

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
- I get a black screen saying that Audio is disabled because OpenAL is not installed
- Then after I press a key, it shows a progress bar, some text, the word 'installed' flickers like crazy (probably not clearing the screen each frame? Some computers use multiple backbuffers which results in flickering if you don't clear them each time)
- When the progress bar reaches 100%, the game crashes with a memory access violation.

Are you perhaps trying to use OpenAL after all, even if it's not installed?

Taron(Posted 2010) [#3]
Eerrr, darned, I might've forgotten two calls. Pfff. I've updated it, so that shouldn't be the problem anymore.

I just know that intel mobile cards will have problems with the GLSL shaders and crash with the ACCESS VIOLATION. No idea how to get around that. :{

Eitherway, try again. Oh, and installing openAL is a good idea. It's small and very nice.

Thanks again for the heads-up! Sorry for my sloppiness there, too.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
Um... STill all kinds of weirdness:

- Flickering still exists in the loading screen (big time)
- When the screen comes up, I see a green circle that gets bigger and bigger, looking kind of unfocused and blurry. the background is a mustard-yellow.
- The counter at the top is changing numbers, presumably a pong game is happening, but I'm not seeing anything happen. No bats, no ball, nothing. Just a mustard-yellow screen with a blurry green circle in the center
- When pressing Escape, I get EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW

MGE(Posted 2010) [#5]
Taron...you're coding 2d..can we lower the spec a bit please? :) :) :)

therevills(Posted 2010) [#6]
Very nice Taron :)

I havent got OpenAL "installed" on my PC, so I didnt have sound and when I quit I get "EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW" error.

When I place the OpenAL DLLs in the folder I get sound and no error when quiting ;)

Taron(Posted 2010) [#7]
@ xlsior:
- the GLSL shaders don't work on your machine.

@ MGE:
- hehehe, I wish. I'm trying to take advantage of new possiblities, learning how to deal with it. It's a process. But for shits'n'giggles I can write a harmless pong, too. :LOL: ...and thank you, you picked a fascinating way to make me feel happy and sad at the same time! :}

@ therevills:
- THANK YOU! Fascinating, though...I have to work on my garbage collection habits! I must have missed something...(?)

UPDATE in first post! (just realized I forgot a few more things in there!)

Taron(Posted 2010) [#8]
UPDATE!
- might fix ATI issues
- enhanced rendering (smoother)
- computer even more intelligent
- (mouseclick ball booster to cheat a little, will get better purpose!) ;)

Well, I hope it'll get there with all the compatibility challenges.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#9]
Just a recommendation, but you should fancy up the shape of the ball, use a particle emitter or something ;) A ball of energy, fire...

Taron(Posted 2010) [#10]
Alright, encourage me, that'll do me good... LOL!
I'm already having far more fun with it as I had ever dreamed I would. Simplicity is so begging to be exploited, haha. Well... twist my arm! :}}}

Thanks, _Skully! I take it it runs for you then... I've just made a tiny update, taming the background glass a little.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#11]
- the GLSL shaders don't work on your machine.

Other programs with shaders do work -- I have an ATI Radeon HD4670, which should be capable.

UPDATE!
- might fix ATI issues

Still the same problem for me with the latest version.

Taron(Posted 2010) [#12]
Yup, I'm doing something that's not liked by ATI, but I'm on it!

Alright, it's updated.
Surprise after level 6! ;)

Taron(Posted 2010) [#13]
Just before I go to bed...here's a little update. Should work fine now on ATI, but I probably need more feedback.

Duckstab[o](Posted 2010) [#14]
lol thats a funky demo

Andres(Posted 2010) [#15]
very nice

Zeke(Posted 2010) [#16]
this is what i get now with ati hd 3650

(edit) ooh.. there is no ball just rect.. :D so NOW this works. :O cool

and to the others..
press 'A' key and you get cool effects....
'p' is pause...

are there other keys????

Taron(Posted 2010) [#17]
YES! YES! YYYEEEEEESSSSSS!
(i'm getting excited!)

That's so fantastic, I might just become a programmer! :D

There's a tiny update, but there'll be more...I think I'm updating it every 2 hours today, haha...pfff.

Well, every feedback of yours is fantastically appreciated and your giving me one exciting rollercoaster ride. Hmmm...I might do that at some point, too. I've never once had a great rollercoaster simulation that gets to me. But well... first...the weirdest pong ever! :} (or so)

THANK YOU!!!

Zeke(Posted 2010) [#18]
^^ edited just...

but thanks anyways.. this is so cool..

Taron(Posted 2010) [#19]
Ohohoho, yeah, I still have some test keys in there...but they'll be out soon, hehe. Maybe I'll do some wild combies which end up as secret cheats, lol!
"s" brings up bonus item
"a" next level
"p" pause (kinda, LOL)
"escape" quit

I'm trying to keep it keyboard free, when it's done, though. And you can play it with a tablet, which is kinda nice.

Yahfree(Posted 2010) [#20]
works fine here, awsome game! cool effect!

Taron(Posted 2010) [#21]
AH, SWEET, thanks!
I've just tried something different, actually. Not sure if it still works?! It's a little weird, but kinda interesting, if it does work for everyone technically. Not sure about taste, hehe...

You have to play it for a few levels...at least until 4 or 5. That's when the effect becomes more and more clear!

New sounds are up, too!

(frankly, I'm not sure about the idea, but give it a whirl. I like it, but just can't tell...)

Hit SPACE to toogle the Logo up/down.

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#22]
Runs fine here.

I think it would look even better at 1920x1080 but can't test it. ;)

Taron(Posted 2010) [#23]
Oh Grisu, haha, thanks for letting me know! I don't even have a monitor that supports that resolution, let alone my Nvidia 7300 being able to handle that. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I think I'll have to work out a way to get fullscreen while preserving the aspect ration. I'm not that adept yet with viewports and the likes and 16:9 is a bitch, hehe.

I've uploaded a small cosmetic update!

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#24]
this is really neat...

I've noticed a slow down after I score each goal though which is strange. are you doing something between each goal or is it just because of the "ball" stacking in the right corner?

Keep in mind i'm on a laptop so power is not a plenty ;)

Taron(Posted 2010) [#25]
Yeah, I think there may well be a sloppy spot in the code. I have to check. On any fast system it's not really noticable until too much is going on on the screen.

THANKS for the feedback, Skully!

I'll definitely check into it!
------------------------------------------------- (edit)
I found something, which might've been a reason...

UPDATED!
- now with title screen, better pause and some gimmiks

Taron(Posted 2010) [#26]
Updated!

- reverse gravity
- logo gimmik
- optimizations

Rick_72(Posted 2010) [#27]
This one is really cool! Features some pretty good looking FX. Awesome!

Are you using animated textures for the flashes (intro screen)?

Doggie(Posted 2010) [#28]
Doesn't run on 64 bit Win7

spacerat(Posted 2010) [#29]
Runs fine for me on 64 bit Win7 Doggie. You know, aside from the awesome graphics, one thing I actually quite like about this is the AI. Seems to be able to predict the ball affected by gravity pretty well.