Blitz Watcher! Dont ever lose a thread again!

Community Forums/Showcase/Blitz Watcher! Dont ever lose a thread again!

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#1]
Well this is my Blitz Watcher program. It monitors the url's you give it and tells you if someone has replied to one of your posts. I find it verrry useful and it greatly reduces the time I spend sifting through the forums for that one thread I was talking to someone on that got lost and I forgot about it... that wont happen anymore :)

here it is. Screenie coming tomorrow, I gotta go to bed right now. Happy blitz watching.

More info and Download: http://naillproductions.synthasite.com/blitz-viewer.php

edit: BTW I used the MaxGUI demo to make this, it took me about 2 days and I learned MaxGUI in the process... I guess ill have to buy it tomorrow, mom said its too late :(

For those wondering how on earth does this work, well its no parser lol, it checks the number of lines of code the webpage is every half a minute or so, then if it changes, it knows somebody has posted or changed the site in some way or another. It seems that there are two lines of code per each new post made but that might have been coincidence, idk... There is probably a much better way to do this but alas I am no web expert so this is the best I got :)

Edit2: unfortunately this doesnt work for the code archives or any other forums that you need any level of permission the general internet user doesnt have.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
it checks the number of lines of code the webpage is every half a minute or so, then if it changes, it knows somebody has posted or changed the site in some way or another.

While somewhat interesting, you really may wish to reconsider what you're doing here -- Loading whole bunch of pages every 30 seconds seems really excessive... I'd dial it down a notch or two, before the webserver thinks you're trying to perform a denial-of-service attack and ends up blocking your IP address. :-?

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#3]
While somewhat interesting, you really may wish to reconsider what you're doing here -- Loading whole bunch of pages every 30 seconds seems really excessive... I'd dial it down a notch or two, before the webserver thinks you're trying to perform a denial-of-service attack and ends up blocking your IP address. :-?

oh.. maybe every 5 minutes? I mean every 5 minutes wouldnt be much more than like the average person, reading over things then clicking on something... idk... hmm ill have to lengthen the time it takes...

nawi(Posted 2010) [#4]
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.25

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#5]
Thanks nawi... just shows how much I dont know about web stuff... I dont exactly get how to implement this though...

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#6]
actually I dont know if that would work... I did notice all the pages are changed pretty often because if someone posted (1 second ago) then obviously in a second it will say (2 seconds ago) I had this problem when I tried to make a program that showed you how people had edited their posts :) it keps saying ppl had edited their posts when in fact the time had gone from 1 hour to 2 hours ago lol...

plash(Posted 2010) [#7]
You should be parsing the document to check for new posts.

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#8]
You should be parsing the document to check for new posts.

I wish I was better at writing parsers and I wish I understood php or whatever that language is... But it works for bb.com at least... and the only things that will affect it are locking of threads, an admin deleting somebody's post, and most common of all, commenting. See im using it to watch this thread right now, it checks up every 5 minutes or so. and it worked :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#9]
Updated: it should now update only once every 5 minutes approximately...