Quest!

Community Forums/Showcase/Quest!

Galaxy613(Posted 2010) [#1]
I decided to enter my first compo ever, the TIGSource Assemblee Compo. Using my knowlage of BlitzMax I made a whimsicly pixelated 2D platformer! I was trying to go for the classic-Gameboy look, and it even has the exact same resolution as a Gameboy. (160x144) Here's some of the readme:

A fun-tivity for the whole family! Quest through 3 levels of varing difficulty as you seek a stolen Item from the Dragon!

Feature!
* 3 Select Class!
* Slay 6 Types Enemy!
* Collect Several Points!

# -%%%%- #

Assets Used!
1-Bit Sprites by Oryx
Musical Stylings by zpxlng, Saros, and valzi.
Sound effects from Atuun and Saros.

# -%%%%- #

Control!

Arrow-Keys --> Movement
Z --> Primary
X --> Jump
Spacebar --> Secondary (Unlock after Only!!)
Escape --> Flee Buttan

Because of the wonders of BlitzMax, this game is available on Windows, (Intel) Mac, and Linux!

Here's some links:
Gamejolt Quickplay!
Windows || Mac OSX || Linux

The only problem I encountered between the platforms is that "StopChannel" apparently is applied different between the Windows and Mac platforms... but it's fine now.

Taron(Posted 2010) [#2]
Cute! Tough on the eyes with the scrolling somehow, but very cute! Might be nice to be able to resize the window to original pixel size, hehe. Just a fun thought!

Eitherway, I think it's great! ;}

Galaxy613(Posted 2010) [#3]
Whoops, totally forgot to add that option in a settings file. D: It's extremely easy to change how the pixels are drawn on the fly, the editor I made takes advantage of this fact to help get a over-all view of levels. Said level editor is sadly not polished to be released... unless someone begs me. :S

And thanks. :)

Sauer(Posted 2010) [#4]
Wow, cool game.

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#5]
So, what method did you use to make it load from a website like that?

Galaxy613(Posted 2010) [#6]
That's part of Gamejolt's website. If you upload your Windows game in a .zip file, and tell them where to find the .EXE, they do the rest with that applet they made.

And thanks Sauer. :)

I also wish to restate that NONE of the art-assets were created by me. As per Assemblee Compo Part 2 rules, I can ONLY use art-assets made in Part 1 of the compo. Alot of people joined in for both parts of the compo and it was a really fun experience, I'm glad I knew enough of BlitzMax to join in the fun. :D

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#7]
I see. So, if a Linux or Mac user had gone to the site, the game would not have run? Too bad, that would be an amazing feature if it were cross platform.

Galaxy613(Posted 2010) [#8]
Indeed. Though that whole site seems to be in Beta, so they might add a feature like that in the future.

Why0Why(Posted 2010) [#9]
That is cool! I really liked it.

Panno(Posted 2010) [#10]
muhahaha the music is sooo cool also the gfx run fine on osx

*(Posted 2010) [#11]
Class :)