Botz creature simulation

Community Forums/Showcase/Botz creature simulation

Drak(Posted 2010) [#1]
Get it here: 630kb (zip file,media free program)
http://www.mediafire.com/?ojzmgjndgmn

First release version of my bot simulation. Watch the bots try to survive in their world.

This program may seem confusing, but it comes with my worklog, FAQ, and explanation. The worklog gives great detail of how specific parts work and also bot behavior.

Get it here: 630kb (zip file,media free program)
http://www.mediafire.com/?ojzmgjndgmn

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#2]
cool, any neural networks being used?

lol @ "carcas 865 has rotted away"

do you have no humanity? lol jk

Drak(Posted 2010) [#3]
No neural networks. This was more of a little simulation in genetics than anything else. The bots are all under one blitz type, and the type has 46 different fields. Most of those fields are loosly genetic based fields such as metabolism, speed, color, intelligence, etc. Those are all passed on to each's children, with the ability for slight differences. There is always the chance too (I think it was like .2% or .1%, I don't remember) that a new offspring will be a whole new mutated "strain" of bot, in which case the "genetics" would be much more widely mutated, and start a whole new color of creatures.

lol @ "carcas 865 has rotted away"

do you have no humanity? lol jk

Thus is the cycle of life. :)

There is actually a global variable named gaia. I used this to represent the planet's overall health and fertility and it actually affects the nutrition of plants. When plants and animals die it would increase, and when they are born it decreased. However, I never got it quite balanced right and the planet's health always kept skyrocketing or plummeting so I commented it out until I get it right. That's why some messages refer to planet resources raising or lowering, but sadly it actually has no effect in this version.

K(Posted 2010) [#4]
Who's good around here at neural nets? Me and my older brother have been messing with evolutionary algorithms and may have a visual cortex in the works. If anyone can share their secrets, I'd like to know :)