A new framework in progress...

Community Forums/Showcase/A new framework in progress...

matibee(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi all,

When I brought Blitz earlier this year* I had every intention of also buying the Grey Alien Framework, but I'd missed the boat on that one.

Having already coded a complete game engine in the past I had a pretty good idea of the basic functionality I needed and quickly pieced it together, expanding it while working on my own games. More recently I've completed a contract game dev assignment using my base code, and I'm now working on wrapping it up into an easy to swallow mod.

There's some info, the mod and some really simple demos available here. As it's such an early release it's Win only this time, but it's all been proven on the Mac.

Edit - Intel Mac module and samples are now available too.

If you've any interest in using it, you have the chance to guide the future demos and will have my utmost support while trying it out.

Cheers
Matt

* edit- Hey it's 2010 already :D

wmaass(Posted 2010) [#2]
Nice. The demos look great. I will definitely try it out when I get back home.

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#3]
Bah...better wait until tomorrow...

MGE(Posted 2010) [#4]
The link to the commercial app using your code is not working.
Will your data/profile pipeline be vista compatible?
How much will this cost?

matibee(Posted 2010) [#5]
wmaass; Thanks. I'd like to show it off with more style but my art skills are a bit lacking.

Chroma; now I'm scared :/

MGE;
Link fixed.
Yes. It actually uses Grey's solution from here. And is the only "non blitzmax" code in use.
The cost will probably be $25 in line with some of other mods out there. There will be a free version (for non commercial use) as this helps with pre-purchase evaluation and it's a bit of a token gesture to those people here who just do stuff for fun.

SpaceAce(Posted 2010) [#6]
I have two monitors and all the examples choke when I drag them from one monitor to the other. The windows look scrambled and no drawing updates are performed. When I drag a demo back to its original monitor, the situation seems to clear up.

SpaceAce

matibee(Posted 2010) [#7]
Ok SpaceAce. I'll re-connect my second monitor to test. I have a single video card with twin outputs and I didn't have any problems when it was last set up.

Just wondering tho.. is your second monitor running off a seperate video card? Do other DirectX apps (blitzmax or not) show the same behaviour?

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#8]
Very nice! Downloaded and bookmarked- I will keep following your progress.

MGE(Posted 2010) [#9]
Nice. Bookmarked for future use.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#10]
Good luck with it matibee! Hope it goes well for you. Been I long time since I saw you last.

SpaceAce(Posted 2010) [#11]

Ok SpaceAce. I'll re-connect my second monitor to test. I have a single video card with twin outputs and I didn't have any problems when it was last set up.

Just wondering tho.. is your second monitor running off a seperate video card? Do other DirectX apps (blitzmax or not) show the same behaviour?

Both monitors are running off of a single NVidia 7900GS. The card is SLI-capable, but is installed as a singlet.

I do occasionally have problems with VLC or Windows Media Player, where starting a video on one monitor then dragging it to the other causes the video to go black. This problem is transient and has been showing up on and off for years, across several combinations of system, OS, monitors, and video cards. However, I have never seen this problem manifest itself outside of video playback.

_JIM(Posted 2010) [#12]
@SpaceAce Is your card by any chance configured as "Single display performance mode" in the nVidia Control Panel? If so then this might be the cause. Try "Multiple display performance mode" and "Single GPU multiple display".

I get something similar here with a 8800GS. All my applications freeze on the 2nd monitor. I can actually have half of the window draw perfectly on the primary monitor and the other half completely static on the other.

matibee(Posted 2010) [#13]
Hi all

A quick update! Progress stalled recently because of the documentation and my understanding of 'makedocs', but thanks to some helpful chaps in the Blitzmax forum it's now back on track.

I've uploaded the documentation wip; here...

http://www.matibee.co.uk/temp/commands.html

Thanks for your interest so far and any further feedback would be greatly appreciated.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#14]
I just went through a few issues myself with the bbdocs for TileMax (Particle System) alpha. Not sure I have it completely down though. especially after looking over your docs... they are really nicely done!

You're doing some stuff in there I didn't even know could be done... so, I guess I'm going to have to go back in and see how you did it.

Nice work

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#15]
Why am I not seeing this.. how are you referencing images?

matibee(Posted 2010) [#16]
The main body of the docs "the manual" if you like, right down to "Functions Summary", is a plain html file called intro.bbdoc placed in your mod docs folder. Several of brl and Brucey's mods do this (See Brucey's Box2D).

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#17]
oh.. that was daft! lol...I get it now ;)

I've inserted a bunch of HTML in the REM blocks and referenced the style sheet... works a charm

matibee(Posted 2010) [#18]
Nearly there with the docs.. http://www.matibee.co.uk/temp/commands.html

I've decided I'm going to release the framework with the complete source to this game (which was the "tester" project for this code anyway):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKoupe6PmJY and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFIXS1knMfs

(There's no sound on either video).

therevills(Posted 2010) [#19]
Thats a cool twist on the match3 game.

The docs looks pretty good too ;)