Ye Olde "Fun Racer" makes a return...

Community Forums/Showcase/Ye Olde "Fun Racer" makes a return...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2009) [#1]
It's been a LONG time since I posted here. Well, I got bored and always have to fiddle with some code or other, Despite no longer trying to make a profession out of it. I pulled up the old manky racer source and decided to try to breathe a bit of life in it with the intention of porting it to the iPhone later on. I had some success! The track and MX5 are modelled by Evak who has given me permission to distribute with this demo.

Once I've gotten the major flaws out of this ill be moving forward with it. Though I've got a fair bit before I can afford the hardware to code for the Iphone.

Here's the post from BlitzMonkeys:

------------------------------------------------------
Update 29/12/09!

Collision is being moved over to the physics engine now, whereas prior to this collisions were being done in B3D *and* ODE, a bit of a cpu hog methinks!
I've actually ripped out a whole load of old code and rewritten a few bits, like- wheel spin is calculated now by the difference between rotational velocity of the wheel vs velocity of the vehicle itself. Before it was estimated.

I've played with the gears again to resolve a few issues

I've also toyed with handling to make it a little harder BUT more stable to control. (Matibee mentioned this too) so let me know what you think of the handling.

Anyway! As always, give it a play, any ideas let me know. You can play with the cars by editing the CD2 files in Notepad (CARS folder)

You can change the car the camera is looking at by pressing CTRL+<number>, then you can hit Enter to take control of that vehicle.

Some cars are good, others are a bit naff. Feel free to play with them and plonk the updated CD2 files here.

Have fun!

If you have any cars/tracks etc- I have no artistic tallent and no skill in that area, so if you can help that'd be fantastic. The track provided, the MX5 and the Mini were modelled by Evak (Adrian T on the blitz forums.) and he's kindly let me relase it with this demo.

the AI is still throwing wobblies, but I've got plenty of time to work on that. It appears to be too hard to beat as it is, so if you guys could let me know how easy you find it that'd be cool.

AI test Video From a previous version:

http://www.youtube.com/user/damiensturdy#p/u/0/k_sUNlmimnc

DOWNLOAD: Full Version (20Mb download- sorry!): http://damiensturdy.servegame.org/downloads/RACER_31_12_09.rar

:-D