GATTACATTA

Community Forums/Showcase/GATTACATTA

Taron(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hmmm...I first thought I was making fun of gattaca, but then it's still a real gene sequence as gattacatta, haha. DOH!

EITHERWAY, after a VERY long time of doing nothing or not much at all with blitzmax or any game coding, I was in the mood to start something, so I made this experiment. It's still in the very earliest stage, but it's already kinda fun, I think. I hope it brings nobodies machine to its knees, but well, it does realtime rayshading on the player itself.

- COMPLETELY PROCEDURAL: all content is being created on the fly (I've just decided to reduce the little enemies to balls, but there's a complete spaceship random design routine in there!)

- COMPLETELY NONVIOLENT: ...so far! 8}

GAMEPLAY:
- STEAL the orange glowing TOKEN from the little sperms (I guess, haha)
- DELIVER it over the pulsing circle

SCORING:
- TIME between you carry the token to delivering it to the circle multiplied by the current subwave of enemies presents.

TODO:
- ...make an actual game out of it
- ...nice LED system instead of font
- ...procedural sound creation
- ...nice receiver units (no more pulsing circle)
- ...plenty of new modes
- ...intro/menu, hiscore, level codes
- ...even more funny procedural design routines
- ...optimize the whole code (it's very crude right now!)

DOWNLOAD LINK (latest update!): GATTACATTA

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hey look! It's Taron!!

Awesome little game thingy. Everything is procedural, you say?

Gladclef - Ben B(Posted 2009) [#3]
amazing gameplay, even now
looking forward to a full game

Taron(Posted 2009) [#4]
THANK YOU, Ben! The way I'm making this is so wild, it's surprising me by the very nature of it. I'm basically setting up a number of systems and rules and it just designs itself. Currently it doesn't show much of this, but soon you'll see...haha...it's really funny! 8)))

Yes, Plash, everything is procedural! The background design, even the vignette, the player ship, although I currently fixed the parameters and soon you'll see all the random design enemies. The game logic has only very few rules and I may open it up even more for parametrical minigame designs, but that's gonna be a while...

Anyway, THANK YOU BOTH for the quick and highly encouraging feedback! I'm really having a blast, thank you!

plash(Posted 2009) [#5]
Highest score is 125 so far :)

_JIM(Posted 2009) [#6]
Amazing!

The graphics are awesome, the gameplay is addictive... magic! :D

Taron(Posted 2009) [#7]
Wow, thanks Andrei, that's really a fantastic compliment! I'm starting to get a little scared now to keep it growing adequately! :}

Yay, Plash, if you try to hang on to the token for as long as possible before dropping it off, you'll get even higher scores! ;)

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#8]
Nice looking game that, quick question though, does each one of them enemies hold 23 chromosomes? <---- Joke!!! :D

Well done! ;)

Dabz

plash(Posted 2009) [#9]
Yay, Plash, if you try to hang on to the token for as long as possible before dropping it off, you'll get even higher scores! ;)
Ahh.. I was wondering what that multiplier thingy near the score was all about!

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#10]
Very stylish, I love it.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#11]
Very nice...as usual from this guy. ;) But what's with the weird res?

Taron(Posted 2009) [#12]
Uh, reactions, and more nice ones, too! SWEET!

Dabhand: I'm still trying to put sense into it, but it'll come... ;)

wmaass: THANK YOU! :)

MGE: I was already bracing myself, when I saw you've responded, haha. I like it that way for some reason. Might be the cinematic confinement of the "arena". I already have a plan to really make this explain itself, but it'll be a while before the final kicker comes into effect. THANK YOU, by the way! I'm flattered :blush: ... :}

ICECAP(Posted 2009) [#13]
It reminds me of spaceship quidditch for some reason. :D

Very addictive tho, well done.

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#14]

Dabhand: I'm still trying to put sense into it, but it'll come... ;)

Pardon the pun eh! ;)

Hehehe

Dabz

zambani(Posted 2009) [#15]
cool concept

_JIM(Posted 2009) [#16]
Quick question:

How are you drawing the trails? Lots of particles, or continuous mesh?

Taron(Posted 2009) [#17]
Ah, lines from particle to particle. Stores anchors per particle, to automatically sort them correctly. It all goes through one single type. I had written a spring system for my first game a long time ago for which I already came up with a similar solution. This one, however, is a whole lot easier... :}

THANKS, Zambani & ICECAP! ;)

A new version is coming up. I hope it won't burn up the slower machines, hehehe... (ARGH)

_JIM(Posted 2009) [#18]
Ah, I see. Easier than I thought. :)
I was asking because I've been working on a ribbon (continuous mesh) system for a few days and was curious if you might have optimization secrets you might want to share :)

Once again, excellent result with dynamically generated content. When I last tried dynamically generated content, my results were all very... unnatural. Guess it was because my experience as an artist was very limited. Your project on the other hand feels very lively :D

I'm thinking it's the lighting effects that do the trick.

Taron(Posted 2009) [#19]
Absolutely, the lighting is kind of like polishing turds, HAHAHAHA!
But, yeah, it's some artistic decision-making for sure. I love to experiment and if the results look encouraging then...uhm...it's encouraging to continue and inspiring, of course.

As for optimizing...well...some solutions are as tight as they come and the rest is expert coding. I know non of the above for sure, HAHAHA, but I'm certainly trying my best. If I knew exactly what you're doing, I'd be happy to help brainstorm it. But something tells me you should be way ahead of me.

UPDATE IS UP (DOWNLOAD FROM FIRST POST!)

I'm trying to come up with a different scoring concept. Away from the whole currency idea of numbered scores, I'm developing a type of "resource based" success system. Right now it's just preliminary, but ultimatively it's energy you'll collect to create upgrades and goodies.

I wrote a spiral/lens opening formula, which makes a neat looking element, but it may slow down the systems a bit?! Let me know, if it's too much trouble, please. On my system (3ghz) there are no problems, except a few jerks when all "sperms" are exiting after each wave. Gotta check into that, too.

I'm also working on a second meter system, which rewards again the time you hold on to the energy. I might do two type upgrade system for it. One is extra gadgets, the other is ship traits (speed, agility, (spoiler alert <LOL>) burst modes)

Taron(Posted 2009) [#20]
Another little update! (link's always in first post!)

Added a "Pause" function. Just hit "p"!
It's just rudimentary and I'll put eventqueuing back in, I think.

degac(Posted 2009) [#21]
Well, downloaded it, but it opens a 'windows' (without border) - left centered, and I can't see part of the screen/playground.

I like the 'graphics'

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#22]

Well, downloaded it, but it opens a 'windows' (without border) - left centered, and I can't see part of the screen/playground.

Ditto. Makes the game unplayable for me.

Nice graphics.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#23]
Taron - For the next update, keep your code/logical screen the same but tie into the new virtual res/screen available and perhaps allow use the user to enter an optional starting physical resolution. ?

Taron(Posted 2009) [#24]
Strange...?! I've uploaded a mild change now... does that fix the issue?
I purposely removed the frame, but it should be centered. On two different machines here, running winxp 64 and 32 at different resolutions (1280x800 and 1680x1050) it pops it smack into center!

Let me know, if the new version fixed that, please!?

Sorry about that...

Taron(Posted 2009) [#25]
Oh, we must've typed at the same second, haha!

I'm not sure if I understand "the new virtual res/screen available"?! Sounds very interesting, but I'm just not sure what you mean... :{
...hope you don't mind if I ask?
OOOOOHHHHHHHH there's a new VIRTUAL RESOLUTION thingy... hmm, I couldn't update my SVN lately for some reason. I gotta check into that. Not sure how any of this works, yet, though. Any hint is very welcome, of course!
THANKS!

Ultimatively I'm sure I need to start with a selection window for resolution and maybe a choice between directX and openGL.

Thanks for the suggestion and care, MGE, sorry I missed the comment and respond a bit confused. I have to warm up to coding again, too. :}

Grrrr...just updated blitzmax to 1.36, which added almost 10kb to my compile. :{ (UPDATE ABOVE, by the way!) v0.2d

Eitherway, now I can see if I find out what's the deal with the virtual stuff.

Taron(Posted 2009) [#26]
UPDATED! (first post download)

Hit P to pause the game. While paused hold down the left mouse button to reposition the window!

I'll find a cleaner solution, too, but just for now.

Also, for those, who had trouble with the window position, please tell me your resolution, OS and if it was a dual monitor perhaps?

Thanks for checking it out again, then, too, of course!

John Cage(Posted 2010) [#27]
Nice little game, but is causes a crash in my computer.

Intel Core Quad Q9450@.... GeForce 9600GT.

Taron(Posted 2010) [#28]
Woops! Thanks and I'm sorry! Dare I ask roughly about the situation?
It's still very crude, so there may be some sloppy things happening, but I'll have to track them down...

...hope you don't mind letting me know at what point it went down?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#29]
Am I alone in my hatred of people with this much talent? How the hell can you generate that ship procedurally?

Outstanding work once again, Taron.

Taron(Posted 2010) [#30]
HAHA, Thanks John! Man...that really makes me wonna release the little enemy ships, but they'll have to wait. :}

I've posted an update, found a problem and solved it.

However, this is all still experimental, so the funny clown nosed obstacles are just a test. Wrote a simple collision system that seems to work fine and add interesting nonsense into the mix! 8P

Eitherway, thanks again, John! I only wished I could do it in openGL with shaders. That way I might be able to tickle a whole new level of wild out of the look and speed.

degac(Posted 2010) [#31]
Ok, tried version 0.2f
P to pause, and mouse to move the windows works.

I'm running on Windows XP pro sp2 in 1024x768 (my monitor can handle up to 1280x1024, my eyes no... :D)
I've tested in 1280x1024 and it works correctly (window is 'centered' and everything is visible)

Grrrr...just updated blitzmax to 1.36, which added almost 10kb to my compile. :{

I think this is due to the new compiler option (speed vs size) used in the latest BCC version.

MGE(Posted 2010) [#32]
Seriously...when you combine someone who can code and is also an incredible graphic artist, you get Taron. Just jaw dropping amazing.

Taron(Posted 2010) [#33]
Hey degac, that's great news, I'm happy! I'll see that I take care of resolution options next, too!

MGE, I'm still working hard on doing justice to your kindness. I seriously hope I'll learn to instruct the GPU to really find out what machines can do nowadays. However, if I had your dilligence and consistency I'd be inclined to blush less at such wonderful compliments! :}