[DONE] The Snowman (remake)

Community Forums/Showcase/[DONE] The Snowman (remake)

Sokurah(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've made a new game - a very christmassy one...just in time for Christmas. :D

This time a remake of "The Snowman". The original game was made in 1983 for the ZX Spectrum.
You can find more information on the original game HERE.

Click HERE to download the remake and HERE to go to the webpage.

It's made in BlitzMax. Enjoy. :)

A couple of screenshots;

squest(Posted 2009) [#2]
Looks great! Fantastic job! Unfortunately, there's no Mac version :(

Sokurah(Posted 2009) [#3]
The plan is to release a Mac version too, but I just need to find something else than ETNA to do the online scores. It won't be on this side of Christmas though.
...and don't suggest Brucey's mysql module - I looked at it but couldn't figure it out. ;)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#4]
Looks cute.

jsp(Posted 2009) [#5]
Looks nice, downloading now!

Ked(Posted 2009) [#6]
Looks very nice! I like the retro/pixel look.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#7]
dont know how its "based on the book"
to me it looks like jetpac crossed with chuckie egg or some other game that used ladders and platforms like that

would have to play it to see if the jetpac bit is just an assumption or not though

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
dont know how its "based on the book"

If anything, that may get you into some potential hot legal waters...

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#9]
This time a remake of "The Snowman". The original game was made in 1983 for the ZX Spectrum.
You can find more information on the original game HERE.

the thing with remakes is, especially licenced products, just cos someone who worked on the game said its ok to remake it, dont mean they have the legal right to do so, just like im not too sure if the rights owners to buck rodgers even know of the blitz remake, the coder might have said sure go ahead.

but with the spectrum version, that one probably slipped under the radar due to a gazzillion games out on the market, that or the licence was sold dirt cheap

drop the tag line based on the book and all will be well, hell if you hadnt said it was a speccy game to begin with, id just see a jetpac hybrid building a snowman instead of a rocket

Sokurah(Posted 2009) [#10]
Hmm, perhaps I should drop the tag line then. I don't care either way as I've never read the book anyway, so I don't have a special relation to it.
I just added it because it's also on the original Spectrum loading screen and I wanted to show its heritage.

I'll remove it now so it'll be gone the next time I update the game.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#11]
I remember the original on C64, remake looks great.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#12]
never read the book eitther, i dont recal any words in it
just like its animated adaptation its a silent story and thankfully sans aled jones walking in the air
if your from the uk you will have no doubt seen it listed on one channel or another every christmas since it first came out