New TileMax Logo

Community Forums/Showcase/New TileMax Logo

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#1]
So what do you think of this new logo for TileMax Game Engine?

I'm condensing this to the top...

Which do you think is the best? This was updated after post #19

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#2]
I don't know but I feel like it's missing something. Personally, I dislike the combination of light blue and red. Mostly, I dislike the light blue. The max Part I do like.

Don't take this criticism too serious. I am no expert and I personally can not choose a good color from a bad one most of the time.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#3]
Well, if I wasn't prepared for some criticism I wouldn't have posted it ;)
The "tile" part is the part im having a rough time with

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#4]
I like it

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#5]
So is there a demo for TileMAX?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#6]
Overall I like it, but there's two small "but's"

- The texture inside the'tile' part doesn't really work for me. I get that you're trying to make it appear tiled, but somehow it makes the overall logo appear too retro / old fashined

- there are massive JPEG compression artifacts -- which is OK if you're just saving a low quality copy to show on the forum, but for ayour actual program logo you should probably save it either at high quality or as a lossless PNG file -- at the current compression ratio it looks very 'muddy' especially the red parts.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#7]
I prefered your first one, I don't think the cyan grid goes very well with the red in the new Max word. Sorry, just my 5p.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#8]
Doesn't look too impressive to be honest. But to be honest, you're dealing with coders, we could care less about logos, fancy web pages, we just want to see the tech proven, stable, and at a fair price. ;)

Since you're focusing on media now, do you already have the kit done then? Where are the tech demos, etc?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#9]
I like it

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#10]
Why don't you make the Tilemax logo out of tiles?

Cheers
Charlie

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#11]

Since you're focusing on media now, do you already have the kit done then? Where are the tech demos, etc?

I work on graphics on my lunch hours at work where I don't have Blitz, I work on code when I am at home, the kids are in bed, and I have free time...

Right now I'm working on the particle system.. I had to get my sequencers working properly because I ran into some issues with my design, but I have that resolved now. The problem came in the form of chained sequencer nodes and the Sequencer.Mode_Bounce option not bouncing back and forth along the sequencer chain, it was just staying on the one sequencer node. Thats fixed now. That probably means nothing to you LOL

I don't think I'll have a tech demo ready for about a month but thats a really rough estimate as my time to code is not regular. What I do know is that once I reach that point I'll probably be looking for a couple beta testers that, in exchange for creating tech demos, will get a copy of TileMax.

Why don't you make the Tilemax logo out of tiles?

That was the original design I did but I thought it looked really cheezy the way I did it... maybe I'll have another look at that during lunch

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#12]
I did little abit for Max tile for you as i did it just abit of fun :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#13]
That's not bad although the word `tile` is slightly hard to read. Either you need a higher tile resolution (smaller tile bits, maybe twice as many?) or make the gray tiles whiter? I am not fond of the `max` part as yet. The wierd multi-directional array thing screams "confusion". I don't know which way to look, like a nightmare traffic sign. What if you made an X out of 4 short arrows pointing toward the center of the X? Either that or some sketchy artsy italic-like font for the max part. And now that you have both `tile` and `max` in red I think it clashes.

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#14]
how about something like this

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#15]
That's not bad although the word `tile` is slightly hard to read. Either you need a higher tile resolution (smaller tile bits, maybe twice as many?) or make the gray tiles whiter?

Good suggestion... How is it now?

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#16]
much better.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#17]
-I dont like the red parts at all, the font is all wrong and too far removed from the tile font.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#18]
Making the logo look tiled is a great idea. :) It's a lot better than the one in your sig.

I don't like the red parts either. The one with lighter outline is better than the one with heavier one. What about having the "max" part as red tiled letters, so that it's more in tune with the "tile" part?

The X is a bit too creative. I'd read the logo as "tile MA". I'd also get rid of the TM.

The X is cool in itself though. What about keeping it as a separate logo (not as the letter x)?

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#19]
So you mean like:

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#20]
how about removing the red x on the above picture and putting a border around the logo

plash(Posted 2009) [#21]
#4!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#22]
I still dont like that red thing. To most people arrows are a sign of direction, and something pointing in multiple directions says `confusion`. I like the fully tiled `tilemax`. Maybe you can play with the tiles at the right hand side of the logo and have them starting to fall away/crumble at the edge as a sign of individual control/animation or something,.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#23]
The Red symbol is symbolic of the relative connection of the tiles.. there is no array used to store the map meaning you can have whatever shape maps you want... you can make little tunnels that join larger areas etc.

I like it personally.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#24]
Yah..the arrows don't look good and look more like you would see in a chart or buisness graph.

Otherwise, your current logo is not going to look good at small sizes. You should add 1-2 black pixels between each "tile" making the words. It will probably stand out much better.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#25]
The red thing is totally meaningless to anyone who is not familiar with your product or what its capabilities are, and those are the kind of people you want to present yourself to initially with your logo. To most people on first glance it would mean confusion, arrows, directions perhaps, a compass? Perhaps you can show what you want better by showing some tiles (as part of the tiled words) which as I said are breaking away from the main group and are connected by little lines or something.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#26]
Ultimately it boils down to what I like and not what everyone else likes but I do appreciate you guys taking the time to add your opinions... after all I did ask for it. I always try to help others so its nice to get some assistance back once in a while.

Anyway, I personally like the symbol although I do realize it definitely needs an artistic touch!

Symbol's are not used to sell a product, nor do they have to have specific meaning ...Their used to build recognition of a product after success. The product name doesn't even really matter that much unless its something really dumb like "Sam and Ella's Chicken". The product will sell itself IF ITS GOOD! Which I think TileMax is since most of the games I run on my machine are dog slow while TileMax, so far, is running nice and smooth. An advantage to creating it on a slow machine I guess.

Anyway, I like the concept of #4... I am concerned about scaling but if I re-create it in Corel or something it should be fine to resize. For now I'm using PowerPoint to create it which is limiting but really fast for concepting!

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#27]
I think #4 is a good choice.

Duckstab[o](Posted 2009) [#28]
I think adding in some sprite sheet designs to the squares would be nice

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#29]
That was actually what I started doing, using patterns in the squares but that didn't scale well at all. Logo design is supposed to use the KISS principal and the logo I have so far is already stretching into NotsoKISS