Community Forums/Showcase/Tiny Tanks Thread 3

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#1]
Continued from Tiny Tanks Thread 2...

Original topic

Download demo

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hopefully I've done that right...

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks Nate, im not in there as much as I used to be.. im really struggling with modelling more maps and thats taking alot of my time. The above map and the rest when they are finished are available when playing the full version. Ill send you a copy when its done.

ok thanks, just thought I would let you know im stayin with it :) I got a little sidetracked....

Hopefully I've done that right...

yeah works here

Matty(Posted 2009) [#4]
Just downloaded the demo from RifRaf's website and cannot connect to anything - just get a message saying there may be technical issues with the master server....

"Version Could Not Be Verified" "Master Host Did Not Respond"

was hoping to try this ... oh well.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#5]
hmmm, i just tested with the demo ver. that i have and it worked fine. now my demo ver. could be and probably is different from whats on his website, perhaps he didn't get the official download ver. updated before the holidays.

i haven't been talking to or seen him around for about a week or so now, assume he's doing the whole holiday thing, but if i'm talking to him before he responds here i'll mention it to him.

one thing though try to run the Tiny Tanks Updater manually, it may or may not help. if i remember correctly awhile back he was doing quite abit of updating and refining, and he needed to send me an updated ver. of the updater. before i could connect, so this could very well be the same problem that you've run into.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#6]
Neither the updater or any of the executables connect to the 'master' server.

pmc(Posted 2009) [#7]
FYI, I decided to take a look at this. Version could not be verified, but it let me download the update, then it let me download the demomap, then it gave a memory access error and exited.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#8]
Hi guys, I was away for the holidays, when I got back I couldnt sign into the forums for a few days.

If it wouldnt connect to master server it could be a bad port setting on the user end, or my ftp could have simply not been responding. Try again if you get some time Matty.

Interesting that you got a mav pmc. Did you download http://www.empowergames.com/tinytanksdemo_install.exe recently?

I checked this as best I could by removing my installed copy and deleting its folder. Next I used the link above to download and install the demo , let it update and download maps. I was able to login and play. If you get time to try again let me know what happens.

Thanks!

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#9]
server may be down for the day, spilled coffee on it this morning. ive cleaned it and am letting it sit awhile before putting power back to it.

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#10]
oo coffee and computers dont mix, I spilled milk on my laptop once, I consider myself lucky it didnt hurt anything, just got some white crusty stuff all inside the keyboard. Sorry I havent been on in so long, ive been waiting for a new HD in the mail cuz my old one crashed.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#11]
thanks, its back up now. Had to use an external keyboard, ill dig into the case and clean the keypress pads later this weekend when i feel up to it :)

pmc(Posted 2010) [#12]
Interesting that you got a mav pmc. Did you download http://www.empowergames.com/tinytanksdemo_install.exe recently?

Grabbed a new copy as you suggest. No issues this time. But no servers. Mucked with my firewall ports to no avail. Probably just me being stupid. It's not unusual. :)

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#13]
pmc,

a good way to see if the server is online is to check the blitzbasic.com gnet listing. If its there, then its up.

Hope to see you in there soon.

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#14]
hey rif, tried to log in a few days ago and got an error that the map was a non demo map so i couldnt play :/

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#15]
Nate, ya there is one map (spire valley) that is not a demo map. the other three in rotation are demo maps.

you get 10 seconds in the map before it removes you , so if your quick amd you can /votenextmap before it boots you, then the next login would be in a demo friendly map :)

InvisibleKid(Posted 2010) [#16]
hey raf i was gonna suggest that you take spire outta the rotation and only have it accessable through voting like we use to have to do to test bigbase ( atleast for the time being ). that way it won't disrupt and possibly annoy anyone with the demo ver.

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#17]
good idea king nothing... I miss big base LOL good times! and when do you think the full version willl be up rif?

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#18]
Nate, not for awhile. I have to have more maps made first.

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#19]
Nate, not for awhile. I have to have more maps made first.

oh ok, yeah, game dev is a slow process... but this is the kind of game that really sells once it becomes well known :) good luck to ya

InvisibleKid(Posted 2010) [#20]
hey RifRaf, i just installed the demo on the 900 but when i try to ping your server i get no response, its listed on gnet though. also i tried starting my own server and same deal i get no response when pinging it but its listed on gnet.

when my server was running though i could however ping the local server and it would attempt to join, but then exited back to the main menu with a "map version not correct....." or something like that message.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#21]
hm, sound like a local router/connection issue. Ill check to see if I can login to server now.

Edit:
Ya it had a problem, some kids were over here for my sons bday party and reset the power to the router. I guess that somehow allowed TT to sumbit to gnet, but wouldnt receive anything. A quick server reset seems to have fixed it.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2010) [#22]
hmmm i still get the no response message, it could be on my end i'm using the 900 for a few days or so (not my computer so who knows what kind of whackey things have been done to it), then i should be getting a better system back from the shop in the next 2-3 days.

i'll keep trying to connect periodicaly until i get the other system but not gonna fart around too much trying to get it to work (if it is on my end) until i get the perminent comp up and running.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2010) [#23]
still no go with pinging your server, or the server i created. although when i'm running my own server i was able to get it to join the local address now, by copying the map files from the server's map folder and putting them into their own properly named folders in the game's folder (originally there was no maps in the folder and i'd assumed that some version even if not upto date of atleast demoland and demorace would have been there upon install.)

i'm hoping i get the vista comp back today or tomorrow, then i'll install xfire and we can discuss it.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#24]
Sounds good,

The 3D artist who was going to help create some maps, has informed me his schedule has gotten a little too busy and cannot help anymore, so im on my own with that again. So I dont know when / if ever ill get this done .

K(Posted 2010) [#25]
Need My help? I'm offering, but if not that's cool too.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#26]
If have telent with 3D modelling ect, then yeah i do. Email me ( GameMaker04@... )

InvisibleKid(Posted 2010) [#27]
hey just an fyi,

Tiny Tanks is working, it was completely my fault. like i said earlier this isn't my computer so i have no idea what useless crap has been installed on it, and since it's only a temp fix untill i setup the other comp i didn't really look into it. well turns out there was online protection installed that was provided by the isp and unlike every other firewall i've used and even though it is suppose to it wasn't popping up a message about the game being blocked. i only found out that was the culprit by chance when i decided to turn it off to see what would happen.

anyway got the Vista machine back so hopefully setting everything up will go smoothly and that i'll be back in bussiness shortly.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#28]
@kingnothing
Good to know. Thanks.

I have generators in the game that remove scenery objects when they are destroyed, they respawn in time as does their linked scenery objects.

Today I added a modified version of this, I created buttons. With buttons the players can add and remove objects whenever they like without having to destroy a generator or wait for it to respawn. Unlike generators players control when somthing comes back as well as when it goes away.

I think this will add alot to the multiplayer fun when used creativly in map design.

a small vid of me testing a button assigned to a simple platform.
could probably use a better buttom model though :)
http://www.empowergames.com/ttbuttons.wmv

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#29]
my server will be down a day or two for repairs

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#30]
one more map done. called Ridge

in editor

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#31]
I have a pretty big demo update ready .
This update adds classes. Much like TF2, but the difference with Tiny Tanks is that Classes dont limit your weapon selection. They modify weapon and other attributes. The classes in game so far are.

[Soldier] average class with no additonal pros or cons

[Scout] - Pros : Very fast, can always see enemies on his radar.
Cons : Takes double damage, and deals half damage

[Bomber] - Pros : Can take out many enemies at once with a single blow
Cons : Primary explosion is a self detonation also destroying self
Cons : Takes tripple damage

[Marksman] - Pros : improved sniper cannon does 3x damage when zoomed
Cons : Sniper cannon has 10 tick reload, other weapons deal half damage

[Pyro] - Pros : Mortar Cannon and Rockets leave napalm flames wich cause damage to enemy tanks that travel into them. Rockets leave more deadly flames in a larger area.
Cons : The pyro moves 85% normal speed, and has a longer reload on all other weapons.

[Juggernaut]- Pros : Takes 4x less damage, Improved mortar cannon hits for 2x damage and also sends enemy flying into the air when they are hit with it.
Cons : Very Very Slow movement, double reload time on all weapons

So if you havent tried TT out in awhile , please give it another look. These class variations are in game now and need testing.

My little class "suit" models needs some work I know, first draft models shown below.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#32]
I had made a mistake on an old upload, and the updater was having issues downloading this new update. If this is effecting you , you may need to redownload the installer, wich has a current build in it and is up to date atm.

http://www.empowergames.com/tinytanksdemo_install.exe

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#33]
Hey rif, symantec wont let me install some of the tiny tanks files that are necessary to run it. (running on vista) just fyi

ill probly get it to run sooner or later. BTW have the publishers contacted you yet?

edit: well first it gives an error about writing a file, then 20 seconds later symantic pops up and said it saved my computer from something that sounds horrendous lol

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#34]
sorry thats happening Nate.. ill see if I can dig up info on symantec, alot of virus protection packages dont like things writting to hd.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#35]
Nate this info may help.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2005060614225348?Open&docid=2002092413394848&nsf=ent-security.nsf&view=0

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#36]
Have a new website
Has leaderboard and Server listings
thanks to Indiepath for the coding of the site
dont blame him for the art though , thats all mine :)
http://tinytanks.empowergames.com

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#37]
thanks for the help rif, ill check out that link and see what I can do.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#38]
New video up on the website showing some gameplay, still not many players to speak of so its a one on one thing.. but this video has sound at least, unlike all my previous ones.

The music for the menu, and track during play were made by Vince Webb

http://tinytanks.empowergames.com/

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#39]
I think you should record a video with tons of players, to advertise the action within your game.
It feels kinda dull right now - a very calm action game. That video needs quicker and more active matches.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#40]
That's the hardest part, If i had tons of players then I would already consider it a success :)

but I think ill soon be ready for putting in on popular download sites and such, wich I hope will help with that some. The only place I actively talk about it for now is right here.

Thanks for checking out the site though, I appreciate that.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2010) [#41]

you should record a video with tons of players

It feels kinda dull right now

so why don't you download and install it, and get your friends to do the same and join us and make it ummm not dull.

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#42]
sorry I honestly cant get my symantec to work with it.... I might get it to run on joe's computer.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#43]
so why don't you download and install it, and get your friends to do the same and join us and make it ummm not dull.

Because I'm not that fond of this style of game, unfortunately; although I wish its author get the income (and\or fame) he is working into.
But don't confuse my previous post with a diss. I tried to give an "out-of-the-blue gamer" viewpoint.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#44]
Tiny Tanks Online got a pretty decent review from softpedia
http://games.softpedia.com/get/Online-Games-Clients/Tiny-Tanks-Online-Demo.shtml

short and sweet comment
This is a cool 3D online shooter with cartoony tanks and lots of fun power-ups

i didnt sumbit it there either, they must have gotten it from download.com or somthing but they played it, and took screenshots ect fot their listing.

FlagDKT(Posted 2010) [#45]
Today I downloaded the demo.
When I try to join server I get memory access violation..

InvisibleKid(Posted 2010) [#46]
FlagDKT, are you using AVG by chance? if so i had the same problem because some updated files weren't updating to the full size. RifRaf has found and added info on his online manual about temporarily disabling a couple things in AVG to download properely. i can confirm that that works.

if you have another antivirus prog. it still might be of similar situation.

FlagDKT(Posted 2010) [#47]
I use Avira Antivir..

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#48]
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=676445

not sure if that will help or not, they discuss setting exceptions in avira.

Yahfree(Posted 2010) [#49]
I successfully logged in, and then ran around this random race track.. no one was online. The visuals get a big thumbs up from me, I love the style.

Maybe someone will be on tomorrow so I can test the game play.

Doiron(Posted 2010) [#50]
Hi RifRaf, just a note for your website: on Opera, Chrome and Safari the youtube movie overlaps the screenshots and the buy now/download demo buttons!

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#51]
I've sent a message to my web master. Thanks

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#52]
Hey Yahfree, I saw you in there, but you left when I joined the game. :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#53]
hehe i found a way to the top again ;)

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#54]
lol, well im glad you were able to login. How did you manage to get your virus suite to allow it ?

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#55]
Hard drive wipe then I reinstalled everything except the anti virus trials.

Not a whole lot of trouble, it needed to be done anyway.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#56]
Tiny Tanks Online full version can be downloaded for free from the TT website
http://tinytanks.empowergames.com

no in game ads either. just free.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#57]
Nice.

Just an FYI:

Your website doesn't render properly in Google Chrome -- the video box gets overlayed right on top of your screenshot thumbnails, blocking all of them from view.

In internet explorer they are visible, but there is appears too far to the right and too far down, instead of in the table right next to the screenshots.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#58]
Your website doesn't render properly in Google Chrome -- the video box gets overlayed right on top of your screenshot thumbnails, blocking all of them from view.

Confirm here too

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#59]
ive sent an email to indiepath about this, he made the site. No word back from him yet.

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#60]
what happened with the publisher? I dont see why they would reject this?

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#61]
Nate,

Publishers that cover this quality of game seem to want the easy mass sell, like time management, puzzles and such, things women and men like in a wide age bracket.

at least thats my best guess, some others want single player campaigns as well.

I started this game for fun, dissapointed but not overly so that it didnt get picked up.

My next goal is to just put it out there and hope some people enjoy it enough to keep playing, that would be a victory for me. Just not a financial one :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#62]
yeah it would be great to have more people playing, that would make it more strategic to pick certain classes of tank that I never use now because they are simply too slow for 1 v 1

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#63]
put a new video on the website
http://tinytanks.empowergames.com/

Shows a little more action in the game, thanks to nate, rocketman & joe

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#64]
so I am assuming you have some sort of spectator mode to capture all that video? Awesome.

Snixx(Posted 2010) [#65]
I stumbled across the website and noticed you have adverts on it, this makes it look very amature, also the voices that I can hear in the video of the game are pretty cack. Sorry to be a hater :P

InvisibleKid(Posted 2010) [#66]
I stumbled across the website and noticed you have adverts on it, this makes it look very amature

well would you like to publish his game and guarantee to sell XXXXXXXXXXXXX amount? then maybe RifRaf can retract his decision to go the FREE route to make practicly no money on a cool game he worked very hard on........

no, i didn't think so.

also the voices that I can hear in the video of the game are pretty cack

have you even tried the game? do you no what the games about? or are you just basing your oppinion on the site that has some ad banners at the top and a video with cack voices?

Sorry to be a hater :P

to each their own.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#67]
Calm down KingNothing, he is entitled to his opinion.

However, I do think he could've suggested as many solutions as the problems he presented (i.e., useful criticism).

InvisibleKid(Posted 2010) [#68]
first off don't tell me to calm down, i'm not angry or flying off the handle cursing and swearing or what not.

second i agree he, just as anyone else is entitled to their opinions, as i was given my opinion of the unconstructive critisism. ( bottom line i guess i'm just sick of all the useless comments and bashing thats been goin on more then ever lately across the forums) so that probably unintentionally influenced the tone of my post.

However, I do think he could've suggested as many solutions as the problems he presented (i.e., useful criticism).

there in lies the problem if it had have been useful/constructive crits and suggestions i probably wouldn't have posted..

bottom line (ya again)
if it's not your type of game or you don't like how it looks or plays, thats fine leave it at that no need to spew crap comments. and as far as the adverts on his website goes, who cares it's a free game and if you enjoy the game the least you can do is click on one of the adverts from time to time. ( these comments don't just reflect this game as far as im concered they apply to any game )

anyways i'm not trying to be a jerk or anything even though i'm probably coming across that way, but quite honestly i really couldn't care less whether people think i'm a jerk or not.

K(Posted 2010) [#69]
Where's RifRaf? I can't get a response.

Rif: Is the Scale right? Blender's kinda funny about exports.

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#70]
K,

I wasnt albe to use your models in anything yet. Media ( maps ) development is on hold while I get used to my new schedule at work. Im not at the computer much right now.