ifsoGUI v1.14

Community Forums/Showcase/ifsoGUI v1.14

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#1]
ifsoGUI v1.14 is now available. It supports BlitzMax v1.36, including the new DIrectX 9 driver and Virtual Resolutions.

http://www.ifsogui.com - The ifsoGUI site.
http://wiki.ifsogui.com - The ifsoGUI wiki.
http://www.ifso.net - My site where the ifsoGUI downloads can be found.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#2]
Ah thanks. Was having problems compiling it :-)

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#3]
I was asking myself what is different about 'this' gui lib, and found out there's something different about this product from many - DOCUMENTATION! EXAMPLES! TOOLS!

Nice to see :)

Most professionally prepared release i've seen on here by far. Nice work.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#4]
Htbaa - the changes to the frame.draw function Mark recently made broke ifsoGUI. Funny thing is, it made a bunch of my code obsolete, as I was already doing what he added. I was able to just remove a bunch of my workarounds. Also, I wanted to thank you for the nice things you said about ifsoGUI on your blog.

Retimer - thanks, appreciate the good comments. I have so many things I want to add, but the holiday season is quite busy. The editor is just a first draft, I have many changes/fixes I want to add to it. There are a couple more gadgets I wanna get added soon (treeview and properties list). And the wiki was a bunch of work, but now that it is done, it is easy to keep up to date. Every time I release a new version of ifsoGUI, I can easily just go and update the couple of pages that had changes to their functionality.

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#5]
You should make a compiled demo easily available. I don't want to bother installing a mod and compiling a program when I don't even know if the GUI is any good.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#6]
Ah well, you're welcome :-).

@Leadwerks: What are you talking about? About the fact you need to compile ifsogui.mod yourself? Or that there are no binary examples of it? If it's the latter, there are binary examples. If it's the first... Come one?

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#7]
Yes, Leadwerks, there are 4 compiled example apps and the ifsoGUI editor is also freely available. These all include their source, which you of course can not compile yourself without owning ifsoGUI.

If it is a demo of the MOD itself you want, I did make one a while back, it included 3 gadgets I think, but it is very outdated now. Having a demo of a mod is kind of difficult.

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#8]
Me, love it! :D

Dabz

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#9]
Yes, it's excellent. Best Max2D GUI IMHO.

Difference(Posted 2009) [#10]
@TaskMaster: I can't seem to locate the Mac demo?

In fact I can't find any mention of wether this is cross-platform or not.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#11]
There is no Mac demo. ifsoGUI works on OSX and Linux.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#12]
Thanks GaryV, you are correct.

ifsoGUI is pure BlitzMax code and works on all platforms. I do not own a Mac so I have not made the demo or any of the examples available for Mac or Linux, but I have compiled and run them on Virtual Machines running Ubuntu (Linux) and Leopard (Mac).

I could compile the examples and make them available for the other OS's, those compilations would come from Virtual Machines though. I will look at doing this today or tomorrow.

As for the demo, it is quite old and I never really liked the idea of it to begin with, so I will not mess with making the demo of the mod itself cross-platform. Some day I may go back and make a better demo, but there is so little time and so much to do. :)

Peter Scheutz, mentioning that it is fully cross platform is something I overlooked on the web site. I will make it clear. Thanks for the heads up.

Difference(Posted 2009) [#13]
Thanks for clearing that up . Good to see another cross-platform lib.

I'm a little bewildered.
Though this is a *Graphical* User Interface lib, there seems to be only two partial images of it that I'm able to find.

and

Since there is no Mac demo, don't you have anything else to show off to make me want to buy it? ;-)

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#14]
Like I said, I will try to get some time to compile the examples in Mac and Linux and make them available. Also, if you search for my other threads on ifsoGUI, you will find entire screen shots ;)

Maybe I will get those examples done tomorrow.

Does Mac not run Windows Apps like lInux does using Wine or something similar?

Foolish(Posted 2009) [#15]
The multi-column listbox is really pretty impressive, I have to admit. I would recommend a treeview control when you can get around to it.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#16]
Thanks. Yes, Tree View and a properties list are the next gadgets.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#17]
Does Mac not run Windows Apps like lInux does using Wine or something similar?
OSX can run Windows apps using Crossover or Wine. Macs can run Windows directly via Boot Camp.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#18]
Looks pretty appealing to me! I've been using (wash my mouth out) VB6 for my front ends, this looks like a much better alternative.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#19]
I do not have any graphical talent. The only thing keeping me from buying this is the included skins. I would love to see a GNOME and KDE themed skin included.

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#20]

The only thing keeping me from buying this is the included skins

Well, for my dart game, Taskmaster did say that he would give me a hand knocking out a chalk-flavoured skin, I didnt take him up on the offer, because I managed.

So, my advice is, buy the ruddy thing, use the included skins as placeholders and maybe ask TaskMaster nicely and he may help you on your way.

Though, only the man himself can confirm that though! ;)

Dabz

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#21]
You know, loading up a VM of Ubuntu and making a skin out of its interface is on my to do list.

Making skins is actually quit easy if all you are doing is copying something else. Just takes some screen shots and making a simple text file that has the dimensions of the pieces of the gadgets.

Do you have a specific/os in mind that I could load up and use as an example, GaryV?

The holiday season is very busy for me, but I hope to have one or two more example skins done eventually. I have also made a bunch of improvements to the editor I have begun work on, and I am also writing Treeview and Properties gagdets. But, I get very little time with the holidays, daughters' basketball, and now I found out I have to go on a 8 days trip for work (which actually may give me time to work on it, if I don't end up working 12 to 16 hours on the job site).

Also, I do still want to whip up a chalk looking GUI, I think it would look very good.

So much to do, so little time. :(

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#22]
Default Ubuntu theme (GNOME) and Default Kubuntu theme (KDE) would be ideal for me.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#23]
What happened to your website? It's already down for 2 days now.

Update: Seems to be back up again.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#24]
Sorry. There was a 5 hour power outage where my server is (woman crashed into a tree and knocked down a power pole thanks to the snow). My server was restarted, but the apache server did not restart. I am out of town, on business, and could not get connected remotely for about 6 hours to fix it.

It was down from about 3pm yesterday, to 8:30 am today. Not quite 2 days, more like 17 and a half hours. :)

Anyway, it is back up and everything is fine.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#25]
Just as an update while replying to this thread, I have the new properties gadget finished. I will test it by putting it into the GUI editor.

Then I will release the GUI editor and the new gadget. A treeview gadget will come shortly after that.

Also, I am still planning to get compiled versions of the examples and the GUI editor for Mac and Linux; just haven't got the time I need with the holidays and being out of town isn't helping. I am working 14 hour days installing a 1.5 million dollar lumber scanner. I get back to the hotel with dinner and sleep on my mind. ;)