Irukandji

Community Forums/Showcase/Irukandji

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#1]
I made a game again! It's called Irukandji, named after a type of poisonous jellyfish! Thanks to Nyarla for the name :) It took a whopping 2 and a half weeks to write.

Irukandji is a fun score attack shooter, set in an abstract underwater trench. You fly your ship against the flow of hundreds of amazing procedurally animated sea monsters, blasting your way to the final showdown – a Giant Enemy Crab!

You can get it for Windows and Mac OS X

Anyway, i'd love to hear what you all think :) Video and pics below

link: http://www.charliesgames.com/wordpress/?page_id=399

Cheers
Charlie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tph_Y1ppXrM

degac(Posted 2009) [#2]
Cool game!
Quite hard for me (I'm getting old I think...) - some times the screen is 'full of projectiles' and I can't understand where I am!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#3]
Looks pretty cool, nice to see an underwater theme, and lots of nice glowing particle effects :D

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#4]
I like the boss monster... :)

Will you put some more effort into the GUI interface?
The black bars on each site of the screen look ugly compared to the rest.
Can't you integrate the different indicators into the full screen?

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#5]
Some of the gui graphics from ikaruga (well the life bar thing) and the music sounds like project x or something... im sure I have heard it before.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#6]
Yeah, the black bars are there to keep things focused on the center of the screen. any wider and it becomes too hard to see everything.

the music is by John Marwin, i thought it sounded kind of underwatery :)

Cheers
Charlie

MGE(Posted 2009) [#7]
I've noticed it seems like with every release, you're pushing the hardware requirements (as you probably should). This game while it looks very nice, runs very slow to the point it's unplayable, while the original BC ran fine on my box. But don't let it bother you, I'm running on an intel 82845G, celeron. lol.. Will have a look on my son's main frame later. :)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
This kind of game is not my cup of tea, but it sure looks impressive!

Well done, especially considering such a short development time.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#9]
@MGE, this is less taxing on hardware then Bullet Candy Perfect. It's just plain Max2d stuff, mind you, i guess that intel chip is pretty old ;)

Cheers
Charlie

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#10]
Looks really lovely. It's the kind of game I'd try and make if I were making games. Nice attention to fx detail and clever theme too. Well done!

Matty(Posted 2009) [#11]
Looks very pretty. Probably plays well too - although not my type of game, I'd rather just watch - can you save replays?

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#12]
No replays, but one guy has been recording playthroughs with each of the different ships. You can watch them on his youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ortoslon#p/u/0/6GnbCKhoeHQ

He's only done 2 so far though...

Cheers
Charlie

MGE(Posted 2009) [#13]
Less taxing than BC? hmm.. I wonder why it plays very slow on my box? Is it defaulting to opengl or directx? Can you change the gpu driver?

Played it on another box and it was smooth as butter. yummy. :)

coffeedotbean(Posted 2009) [#14]
@ jkrankie - does the "pay what ever you like" method work for you?

M2PLAY(Posted 2009) [#15]
Imposible to see nothing !! but cool game!!

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#16]
@MGE, Gl Graphics, not changeable at the moment.

@coffedotbean, pretty well i guess. I'm not rich or anything, but the balance of people paying more than a dollar works out well enough that i earn slightly more on average per sale than i do selling the original Bullet Candy for $3.95

Cheers
Charlie

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#17]
Played the Mac demo just now, pretty cool. I like how you've created enemies out of multiple animated particles. Had no slowdown on my fairly average Mac system here, ATI X1600. The crab monster is considerably hellish compared to the other enemies, my only possible gripe would be that the change from average enemies to sudden crab-from-hell is unexpected and quite a huge jump?

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#18]
The video looks great, downloading now.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2009) [#19]
Great game but I too found it slowed down to a crawl in several places.

Vista64 - 6GB - Intel QUAD Core 9.6Ghz - nVidia 9500GT (512MB)

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#20]
It shouldn't be slowing down on that machine. Make sure you've got the latest drivers for your graphics card, nVidia released new ones in October that are a bit more Blitz friendly.

It runs at 60fps all the way on my old p4 3ghz, with a 128mb nvidia card and 512mb ram, so it should fly on yours.

Cheers
Charlie

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2009) [#21]
It slows in the same places every time :

Just as you approach the end of the 1st stage (starfish thingies), then get's faster just before the seahorse jobbies and then nose dives from there on in. Sure it's not a memory leak or vertexes not being cleaned up?

Btw - it does the same on my laptop too.

Tim.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#22]
This resembles some of the timing problems I'm having as well. hmm...

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#23]
It didn't slow down on mine, but I totally boosted my PC a few months ago.

The game looks great but I would say at times there is too much going on for me personally, although I know that is the style of bullet curtain games, and it is certainly a good one of those. I can't wait to see the next game!

N(Posted 2009) [#24]
I like the game, but my problem is that because everything has this glow around it, I can't actually tell what the hell is going on. It's not like, say, Gradius 3 where you know pretty damn well what's going to kill you - and I can beat Gradius 3, but I can't even get past the crab in this.

If I manage to beat the crab in the demo, however, I will pay for the game, and more than a dollar - you're really underselling yourself there. Just depends on whether or not I'll give up before beating it.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2009) [#25]
I have purchased the game and have beaten it twice on my first two tries. Pretty cool. Do you plan on adding more than one level?

As others have said you might consider adding some effect options to minimize strain on the CPU and eyes. :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#26]
I'm impressed that you got this done in 2-1/2 weeks, presumably using a lot of code from your previous games? Do you have editors that you made yourself?

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#27]
@Indiepath What OS are you using?

@Nilium, if you're playing the Mac version, then the crab is a bit too hard. I'm hoping to get Mac in line with Windows tomorrow. I updated the Windows version over the weekend to make the crab easier with the default ship.

@ImaginaryHuman, no homemade tools or anything like that. I've used the scores and settings database from Scoregasm/Bullet Candy Perfect (hence the BC3D.dtb file the game creates), and my huge list of functions (ok, there's about 15 or so) that i use in all my games that just cover basic things like rect/rect rect/circle etc. collisions and my favorite ResetImageSettings() which just puts scale, alpha, colour and rotation back to 1s,255s,and 0s.

The actual game itself is very simple, the level lasts about 4 minutes and i just have a timer that updates once every 60th of a second, and a bunch of if statements saying 'if timer=234 then add new enemy' and that sort of thing. There's not really a need to get much more clever than this, as there are really only a few different types of enemy, and they all come on in batches.

As for the enemy animations that's just a bit of trig. I like sin and cos, i event throw a bit of tan in there to move those yellow eel things :) here's the paint method for the crab. It's probably not terribly well optimised or anything, but it does what i wanted it to :)

make sure to scroll over to the right ;)

Cheers
Charlie

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#28]
Man, that's one hardcore way to do it :D

I suspect you have thought about making that kind of stuff with helper functions or types, and said "nahh, screw em"?

BTW game vids look very impressive. I'm not your target audience (used to play games like Zaxxon to death tho), but I think I'm gonna buy a copy, especially since you are using "pay what you want" (not because I want it cheap, but because I like that idea).

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#29]
I try not to use other tools when i can use my head, Also for this game it felt like a bit too much to use all sorts of extra stuff when most of it you'll only see once during the game.

Cheers
Charlie

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2009) [#30]
Hey Charlie,

Big Machine is Vista64, laptop is Vista32

N(Posted 2009) [#31]
I'll keep an eye out for the updated Mac demo then. I want to see what the other ships are.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#32]
New Mac version should be up later today.

Cheers
Charlie

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#33]
I spied this game on the downloads at apple.com, nice to see it there :)

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#34]
It's a staff pick too :)

Cheers
Charlie

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#35]
jkrankie, great fun game as always. Can I just ask how hard it is to implement an online highscore table?

Looking forward to your future games.

Jason.

Yeshu777(Posted 2009) [#36]
I've checked out the video, don't have time play games at the mo.

Very impressed with the look of this, very slick.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#37]
Linux version on the way:

Cheers
Charlie

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#38]
Quicksilva: Online highscores are pretty easy to do with Etna ( http://repeatuntil.free.fr/Etna/ ) although that one is windows-only.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#39]
Thanks xlsior, I will take a look.

Jason.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#40]
Linux version now ready :)

Cheers
Charlie

MGE(Posted 2009) [#41]
Curious....for your windows version, you just supply a zip which the end user extracts to a folder and then runs the game. Is this the same thing with your mac/linux builds? Are you doing this to avoid vista/windows 7 setup problems? It does seem like a simple solution, but I'm wondering how this impacts novice users, or perhaps the shooter market doesn't require as much hand holding? Thx.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#42]
Nobody has ever said anything to me about using just a zip, and i've been selling games for 4 years now - the get round vista/7 being picky about where things are installed bit is an added bonus. And yes, i do the same for each platform (well, tar.gz on Linux). I also have a personal dislike for installers.

Cheers
Charlie

Taron(Posted 2009) [#43]
You're making me happy, jkrankie! :D
I really dislike installers and love the simplicity of just getting a game. I'd go as far as just making one exe, if the embedding is appropriate, haha! :)))

I do get that it could appear a little less "professional", but at around a buck, who's complaining?! ;)

Rock on, looks fabulous!

MGE(Posted 2009) [#44]
Very interesting Charlie, thanks for the insight. ;)

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#45]
@MGE, zip is also Apple's required download format (they don't like .dmg, people mount the dmg then drag the app icon onto the dock, so every time they click it the disk image has to mount before the game starts).

Linux users are savvy enough to know what to do with a tar.gz file, and Windows users don't seem to have an issue either.

Cheers
Charlie

dmaz(Posted 2009) [#46]
I dislike installers as well.... actually MGE, I downloaded one of your screen savers in the other thread but didn't install it because of that.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#47]
@dmaz - I hear ya. But I have a ton of noobs on my site, they wouldn't know how to install a screensaver. lol..

SpaceMan94(Posted 2009) [#48]
Cool looking game!

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#49]
@indiepath and anyone else running 64bit windows with an nvidia card try this version and tell me is you still get the slowdown? i think i've fixed it...

http://www.charliesgames.com/demo/irukandjitest.zip

Cheers
Charlie

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2009) [#50]
Yeah that fix sorted it. What did you change?

Tim.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#51]
@indiepath blitzmax 1.30 to 1.36. I guess it's been ages since i updated...

Cheers
Charlie

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#52]
Works perfectly here. No slowdown of any kind.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#53]
hah that's cool man! It could be the bud light talking but i don't think so. very nice.

squest(Posted 2009) [#54]
I'm running Irukandji on a 3.06 Ghz iMac with 4GB of memory and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Very impressive.

I would like to thank Charlie for pointing me in the direction of BlitzMax. What an excellent tool for developing games! On a personal level, I will be quitting my job in the coming weeks to focus exclusively on game development. I've always dreamed of developing a single player fantasy RPG in the vein of Phantasy Star II, Albert Odyssey, Final Fantasy IX, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, etc., and finally I'll get my chance ;)

--Scott

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#55]
On a personal level, I will be quitting my job in the coming weeks to focus exclusively on game development.

Just a word of warning: very few indie programmers actually manage to earn enough to make a living. I'm not saying that you can't do it, but the numbers aren't exactly in your favor.

The smart thing to do is start in your spare time, and not quit your job until you *know* that you can make enough money to live on first.

..but either way, good luck!

squest(Posted 2009) [#56]
@xlsior -- There's more to the story. I will be dipping into my 401K to develop my first game. Meanwhile, my wife will be working a full time job and I will be selling off parts of my game library and do a little bit of web development on the side. All things considered, we could probably go for 2 years before running out of money. But to me it is worth it. I am willing to give everything to succeed. If you truly give everything, how can you fail?

I agree that doing this in my spare time eases the financial burden. But I'll be honest--if I do it this way it will never get done.

squest(Posted 2009) [#57]
Just picked up Bullet Candy as well. This time I chipped in $5 rather than the $1 minimum. Feels good knowing that this money is going directly to the creator (minus the PayPal service charge, of course).

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#58]
If you truly give everything, how can you fail?

Skill and determination count for a lot, but you still need some luck as well. :-?

But again, best of luck.

squest(Posted 2009) [#59]
Yes, a little luck never hurts :)

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#60]

Yes, a little luck never hurts :)

It doesnt, but it takes some getting... If I got dropped into a bucket of breasts, I'd come up sucking my own thumb... Thats generally the luck I have! ;)

Ontopic:-

Love the images, a bit to hectic for me, but a stunner never the less! ;)

Dabz

squest(Posted 2009) [#61]
I absolutely love Irukandji. You're really onto something here, Charlie. Any plans to add a couple more levels? You really should.