The Playniax framework 'Ignition'

Community Forums/Showcase/The Playniax framework 'Ignition'

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#1]

The Playniax framework is a collection of source code files, graphics and sound effects that you can use to create your own professional quality 2D games in BlitzMax.
Instead of wasting time on the technical side you can focus more on the productive side of creating games.

Some of it's features are
- Fixed rate logic, delta time and tweening.
- 7 base types ('iTTask', iTEngine, iTPlayfield, iTLayer, iTLayerSprite, iTSpriteImage and iTGui).
- Horizontal and vertical splitscreen support (playfields).
- Sprite image loader with automasking (can load single frames into one animation sequence).
- Powerful sprite system.
- Easy sprite collision (pixel perfect) / score system.
- It's own GUI system.
- Smart scaling / zoom / sprite rotation / auto fade system.
- Automatic Framedrop Corrector to prevent games from slowing down.
- 2 player demo game called Gravity Zone.
- Configurable game interface.
- Screen mode selector with example on how to keep aspect ratio.
- Modest special effects / particle generator with particle control for creating explosions and smoke.
- Modest sound effects library.
- Common code library.
- Documentation & Source code examples.
- Can be used as include or module.

A short description of the features
Most of these features work together in the so called ‘engine mode’, a smart 2D display system that uses the 7 base types. The engine takes care of the playfields, sprite layers, sprites and GUI objects. Most graphical objects like sprites and GUI objects are ‘attached’ to a playfield and can be scaled up or down in ‘real time’ by changing a single variable. This can be very useful if you want your game to run on lower resolutions or scale it to widescreen resolutions. Besides scaling it also supports a single zooming variable for zooming all objects real time so the two don’t get mixed up and a single ratating variable to rotate all sprites.

A playfield is the window to a virtual 'world' and by moving it's (virtual) camera you can 'look around'. The playfield system supports split screen technology. Both horizontal and vertically. The gravity zone game demo shows of this feature and we recently added a zooming effect to the game play.

The sprite system is very powerful. Sprites can be ‘attached’ to sprite layers and the layers can have there own relative speed to he playfield camera. This enables you to create the illusion of depth (parallax scrolling). The sprite system also contains a unique collision ‘monitoring’ and scoring system. A sprite map editor is on it’s way.

The GUI system is also very powerful. The screen mode selector and the standardized game interface show of the GUI system.

For now the special effects generator is limited but we have big plans for it and the sound library will be expanded over time.

Image of the screenmode selector

Image of the configurable game interface

Download Gravity Zone DEMO (Windows)

A game currently in development called Defenstar

Download framework DEMO (Windows)

or

BUY NOW!

(Future updates of the framework are free once purchased!)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#2]
Congratulations on the release of your framework, Mr Planiax, I know you've been working hard on it for a while. :-) I will have to check out your Gravity Zone demo again now that you added zooming. Looking towards your game too!

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thank you! Yes, for a little while now LOL.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#4]
Just bought it recently and am very impressed. Good to see someone filling the void that Grey Alien left. I'm especially looking forward to the Linux version.

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#5]
Thank you!

Actually I had it working on linux a while ago. I have to reinstall Linux and do some tests. There where some issues with Linux but I think I can solve it. Can not tell you when though, littlebit busy.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#6]
This is looking very cool so far. I didn't see any of the following info on your website:

Is there support for profile loading/saving? Vista,Windows 7 compatible?
What items does your gui support? (buttons, menus, sliders, etc.)
Tile engine?
What collision methods are supported? (pixel perfect, box, etc?)
Is there render to texture support?
Screen transitions, fx, etc?

Thx!

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#7]
Playniax,

Nice work... I can't wait until mine is that far along!

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#8]
@MGE:

- Profile loading/saving is planned. We need it for our game Defenstar. At this point it can only save your keyboard settings.

- The Gui supports text, buttons, scrollbox with sliders (not documented because because it is a work in progress), pictures, checkbox, rectangle, status bar, combobox. It's just the basic gui stuff for now. Gravity zone shows the screenmode selector and the game gui.

- The collision detection is pixel perfect.

- for screen transitions like for example crossfading you can use the playfields.

We are constantly improving and expanding. Come back once in a while to see if the framework has what you need. The framework is focussed on 2d games.

@_Skully:

A competitor (in a Darth Vader voice and breathing), how interesting!

Just kidding, Good luck man!

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#9]
Does the screen mode selector add vertical or horizontal black bars appropriately?

And does it work reliably?

I am asking because I tried to program such a system a while ago (to run a game on wide-screen without stretching it) but ran into problems. GraphicsModes() returned screen modes that when used made the game or computer crash.

Now I make that game in Blitz 3D and take no special measures for wide screen, so it does get stretched, but it still looks ok. However for future games in Blitzmax it would be great to have that problem solved.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#10]
This is interesting Framework. I can wait until you finished the document, Profile loading/saving and other things that you work on. Then I will buy your framework because i have check your demo of your framework and it was very good.

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#11]
@Hotshot2005: Thank you! I will keep you posted.

@Foppy:

The framework supports virtual resolutions. Most of the time this makes it possible to avoid black bars. It's reliable and support most of the common resolutions. Some exceptions are there because some gfx cards have some strange resolutions but this is not hard to solve, just have to make time or it.

Look at the Gravity Zone demo. There should be no stretching even if you choose a 800 x 600 resolution on a 16:10 widescreen.

This example is from the gravity zone game and shows how to maintain the correct aspect ratio.

The 'iGetDesktopAspectRatio ()' function returns the aspect ratio. It supports 4:3, 5:4, 16:9 and 16:10 for now.

Local m:Int = iScreenModeSelector.Get () ' Show screen mode selector

If m = 0 ' Windowed?

Graphics 800, 600
	SetVirtualResolution 1024, 768

Else ' Full screen

If GraphicsWidth () < 1280

If iGetDesktopAspectRatio () = "4:3" SetVirtualResolution 1280, Float (1280 / 4) * 3
		If iGetDesktopAspectRatio () = "16:9" SetVirtualResolution 1280, Float (1280 / 16) * 9
		If iGetDesktopAspectRatio () = "16:10" SetVirtualResolution 1280, Float (1280 / 16) * 10

End If

End If

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#12]
is there timer that you can put 60FPS(frame per seconds) on every pc?

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#13]
Yes, the framework supports fixed rate and delta timing.

Difference(Posted 2009) [#14]
I'd like to try it, but theres no Mac demo?

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#15]
Mac demo available on request.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#16]
A competitor (in a Darth Vader voice and breathing), how interesting!

LOL... you still have much time to expand your empire Darth, may the force be with you.

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#17]
LOL...

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#18]
FYI, your web site has a bunch of broken media links... not that I'm sizing up the competition or anything lol

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#19]
Really, can you name one. I just tested some and they work.

Chalky(Posted 2009) [#20]
Here's one:

A BIRD? A PLANE?... NO IT’S A SPACESHIP!
>>Here you can find some designs/images of the ship. <<

Here's another two:

DEMOS, GAMES & ME
>>Artillery '90, Puzzle Shuffle<<

and:
DEMOS, GAMES & ME
>>game Firepit.<<

Your game DEFENSTAR is looking very impressive... :o)

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#21]
Heres another...

The YouTube link on...
http://www.playniax.com/media_gallery/2/media_gallery_defenstar/

MGE(Posted 2009) [#22]
wait....how you can offer a sprite, particle system with no timing system in place.....surely you're doing some kind of fixed logic, delta, tweening system already?

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#23]
@Chalky and _Skully: Thanks guys, I'm going to fix the links. No idea what happend though except for one youtube link.

Difference(Posted 2009) [#24]
Looking nice, and performing well on my Mac.

The screenres selection screens seem really basic/crude.
Can they be skinned?

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#25]
Thanks for the answer about the screen mode selector. I tried the demo and it does indeed look good on my widescreen monitor, selecting 800x600. There is no stretching and no black bars.

If I understand correctly, what happens is that the playing field is slightly increased (when compared to windowed mode), actually using the extra space on my widescreen.

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#26]
@Peter Scheutz: You are right, it's basic/crude. I was expecting this remark from some one. Skinning is on my list but for later.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#27]
Congrats on releasing a framework. It's no small task as I well know.

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#28]
Thanks Grey Alien!

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#29]
The framework contains a so called 'Automatic Framedrop Corrector' to prevent games from slowing down.

Playniax(Posted 2010) [#30]
Version 1.4 out now!

- Added a credit box to the 'iTinterface_Playfield' type. This allows the 'About' data to scroll.
- Expanded the screen mode selector with sliders.
- Added 2 functions to common code.bmx: iDrawRectVGradient () and iLoadMultipleImage ().
- Added the TrailSmall (), TrailMedium (), TrailBig () to the iTParticle type.
- A lot of work 'under the hood' in preparation of the future timing system.
- Minor bug fixes.

Progress is slow. Nearly all of my time is taken by the Defenstar Demo for the 1st of februari.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#31]
nice to see that you are improving the Playniax framework :)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#32]
..small question ( i may missed it, so forgive me ), licensed version of framework including full source code too ??

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#33]
yes it does, all blitzmax code - you can `include` the framework (ie sourcecode) or use it as a module.

Playniax(Posted 2010) [#34]
@Naughty Alien: Yes, full source code and free updates when available.

Pax(Posted 2010) [#35]
Hello, is it me or the main section of ignition @ web doesn't shows up?

Thanks.

Playniax(Posted 2010) [#36]
Try it again. I repaired the link to the main page.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#37]
hey Playniax

How you getting on?

Playniax(Posted 2010) [#38]
@Hotshot2005:

Getting on great. Working on the docs and examples.

Progress was slow for a while. Busy but I have more time for the framework again.

Update online soon!

MGE(Posted 2010) [#39]
"Busy but I have more time for the framework again."

That's what concerns me with all these new frameworks coming out, for it to be taken seriously (especially if there is a price involved), developer time, support, updates, is always a concern.

Playniax(Posted 2010) [#40]
@MGE: No need to worry.

Busy as in:

The framework is used for our flagship upcoming product game called Defenstar. It's a big project but the framework is benefiting from this every day. It's a kind of parallel process.

Kind of following a roadmap, targets, release dates...

Concern is the quality of the framework. This is a 'painfull' process. Examples, docs, testting is a lot of work.

Anyway people get the full source code when they buy it so you can develope/add/change stuff anyway you want.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#41]
I was gunna say, developing a game at the same time as a framework obviously means time has to be shifted around.

Playniax(Posted 2010) [#42]
Yes, but it's a good stress test for the framework.

Playniax(Posted 2010) [#43]
Version 1.5 OUT NOW!

- Added timing system to the engine mode and examples (fixed rate logic, delta timing, tweening).
- Expanded the screen mode selector.
- Added the BlastWaveSmall (), BlastWaveMedium (), BlastWaveBig () to the iTParticle type.
- Added sounds.
- Bug fixes.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#44]
You should have own forum at your website therefore if people buy your framework then if they got stuck with your code then they going to need to post your forum :)

Playniax(Posted 2010) [#45]
We are working on a complete new website. We are looking at some kind of online help. People who get stuck now can send the problem / question by email and I will try to help them as good as I can.

Playniax(Posted 2010) [#46]
Minor update version 1.6 out now...

It contains some improved GUI keyboard support and examples.