Medieval Object Builder 2

Community Forums/Showcase/Medieval Object Builder 2

6(Posted 2009) [#1]
Here are some updated screens of the Medieval Object Builder tool I'm working on. New features include:

- Translate, scale and rotate objects
- UVs automatically scale to compensate for the object scale (so textures don't expand or shrink)
- New XML file format for saving models
- copy and paste function to easily transfer xml code between website and modeling tool ( this is so people can share model files on a website without having to download them)
- Some new textures and models

Next to do is make a new GUI and then its the big job of making even more model objects and textures.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
Interesting...

ICECAP(Posted 2009) [#3]
This is quite cool, how are you going to release it?
Charge or Free?
It had to be asked :D

Look like a real good idea. Will you be able to load your own textures in?
And will it be able to export to the likes of .b3d or .3ds?

6(Posted 2009) [#4]
It will eventually be for sale, but I'm not sure how much yet. It won't be very expensive though.

The functionality to load your own textures and objects is definitely something I will add in later. I'm just concentrating on making a catalog of different object shapes and textures so I can get this out for people to test and start making buildings.

There will also be other file formats too such as .b3d, colllada and perhaps ogrexml. I'm not sure about 3DS though. Is the reason for the 3DS format just so it can be loaded into other 3D apps and rendered? I just used truespace to convert .x to .3ds and then rendered this quickly in cinema4d:

ICECAP(Posted 2009) [#5]
Dude! I just realised, you are in NZ too!
Where abouts? I'm in Christchurch.
I'm real keen on an app like this just to speed up city creation.
The reason I asked about 3DS was because I am an avid 3dsmax user and was just interested if it would be supported.

6(Posted 2009) [#6]
Hey ICECAP, I live in Wellington. I was in Christchurch about a month ago actually! I need to visit the city again one day on a texture hunting weekend. Chch has more old stone buildings than Welly :)

I haven't looked at the 3ds file format yet, but there isn't any reason why it couldn't be added in later if there was demand for it. I've just got lots of other things to do first.

Just for the hell of it, here is a little scene I made last night to see what the models look like in a particular setting:

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
Looks good, except for the weed things. But because this isn't Medieval Weed Builder, I'm willing to let that go. ;)

ICECAP(Posted 2009) [#8]
Dude, thats awesome. Chuck me an email when you are down here next. I need to go getting some more textures myself. Always more fun to go with someone else that knows what they are doing. :D

Screenshot looks bloody awesome by the way.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#9]
Very nice!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#10]
I agree the screenshots, esp the one renrered in cinema4D, are looking fantanstic.

Taron(Posted 2009) [#11]
Very impressive! Love the render on white! (cinema 4d you say? Not bad!) ;}

squest(Posted 2009) [#12]
This could be very useful for me. Do you have a release date in mind? Also, is a Mac version in the works?

Merry Christmas all!

6(Posted 2009) [#13]
Hi. No Mac version planned as its written in Blitz3d. As for the release date, there is nothing in concrete yet as there is still a bit of work to do and I'm not sure how long its going to take.

A question for those who are interested in this tool. What do you think of the early adopter purchase option? This would be were you could buy the software for a reduced rate and receive free upgrades to version 1.x, but there may still be some bugs in the software and some functionality has yet to be finished?

squest(Posted 2009) [#14]
I would be interested in going the early adopter route.