Retime MORPG

Community Forums/Showcase/Retime MORPG

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've been working on a game made in both flash (client) and blitzmax (server) the past few months.

I usually work on 2d-scroller rpgs, and the engines/editors behind them, but I figured I would try something a little less ridiculous under the hood for an indy project.

In hopes to make Retime at least a minor hit with social sites, the game is quietly available by public domain, and is also available on both facebook/myspace (although not publicly released on the social sites yet).

The pre-test phase can be played here. This phase is strictly a testing phase, and not meant to be played competetively.

It's an extremely early version - a lot of placement art, and missing features (party system, guilds, territorial ownership & tax/upgrade systems, quests, tradeskills, top-listings, battle sounds/more complex animations, etc), but it's slowly making its way towards a fairly polished 'flash' game.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
I got an error the first time it tried to connect to the server (I run a debug version of Flash Player) :

I refreshed the page, and it connected fine the second time.

.. and you should probably enable the Password flag on the relevant text fields :-)

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#3]
looks good,

a couple of constructive crits

1.cant get out of inventory screen
2.Dont have any motivation to go anywhere after you leave tutorial town
(e.g. a quest)

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks for the input

I got an error the first time it tried to connect to the server (I run a debug version of Flash Player) :

Yeah my debug does that as well, i've not figured it out just yet considering there's no reason for the sandbox violation error. The whole policy server thing is frankly imo really ...unnecessary.

.. and you should probably enable the Password flag on the relevant text fields :-)

Yeah, it used to be for registering, with a second "retype your password" textfield, I went with heads on a flip and took the retype out and allowed users to see what they were typing...I suppose if it bothers people enough I have no problems switching that. I see only one major issue with it as registering on a public computer, or at a friends where they can watch you type it out - otherwise I may be missing something else.

1.cant get out of inventory screen

Fixed in the next patch

2.Dont have any motivation to go anywhere after you leave tutorial town
(e.g. a quest)

Yeah...there's not much towards quests at the moment, as i'm waiting a couple more weeks into the pre-test to get any underlying bugs fixed. The npcs in the second town should be finished by alpha public release (jan 1st).

I really appreciate the input - negative (but productive) critics above all :)

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2009) [#5]
I noticed only one M in your game description.
is this a typo, a sense of humor, or you serious about only have one M?
What would the M mean then? Massive , Multiplayer or something else?

Ked(Posted 2009) [#6]
What's it matter?

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#7]
The main I didnt like about Flash MMO's was their lack of depth and variety, this one seems like it may be good.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#8]
I noticed only one M in your game description.

I'll add another M when it gets more M(assive). I can't let myself call it an mmo until it has an actual player base that can be declared more massive than a lan (imo >32 players simultaneously) game =p But for now it's in a testing stage, and only slightly multiplayer in terms of social interaction.

The main I didnt like about Flash MMO's was their lack of depth and variety, this one seems like it may be good.

All my projects are variations of experiments and mix matches of aspects I liked in other games, and attempts to fix problems I see in similar genres/projects.

Right now it lacks a lot of the planned features to make it worthy of putting down other flash-based social site games just yet, but it's certainly making progress.

I've made the mistake time and time again with rushing into gameplay before fixing key problems in past projects, which result in a crappy end product that becomes very difficult to fix, so i'm trying to be patient and deal with majority input before proceeding with new features so rapidly.