Santas Workshop - Beta

Community Forums/Showcase/Santas Workshop - Beta

coffeedotbean(Posted 2009) [#1]
Here is a beta demo of my new game "Santas Workshop", fast running out of time to finish this but its almost there. Its an xmas themed sokoban game.

Need to know how if there are any issues on vista and Windows 7 and any other things/bugs that pop up.

10 puzzles avaliable to play ... Hope you enjoy it.

download here win32 & mac(intel): http://sites.google.com/site/coffeedotbean/santas-workshop

Updated 14/11/09.. now has mouse support and a how to play page... just a quick tutorial level to add and its job done.. at last =D

Updated 15/11/09.. added tutorial level. coded 99.9999% done.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#2]
Nice work... great to see someone having the Christmas Spirit! Too bad some sponsors can't fund a Christmas Competition. It was fun making Santa's Slay when I did... although it wasn't very wholesome LOL

Pete Rigz(Posted 2009) [#3]
The music crackles here on Windows 7. Apart from that though no other technical issues. Initially I clicked everywhere as I assumed it was all the mouse until I read the erm, instructions :) (don't think ive ever tried a sokoban game before). Found the 4th puzzle to be the toughest, the rest were more straight forward, but maybe it was just my brain getting more used to the puzzles.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2009) [#4]
1. The music is here ok (windows 6.1 - default onboard sound)
2. Game design is very good. Keep it simple!!
3. Graphical themes are needed.
4. I miss a good story mode. Write a little story and part it up into levels via message boxes.
5. go to a publisher
6. sell it.
7. buy ya christmas tree (or slay one) ^^

edit: a new game idea? "christmas tree slayer"? hm... "saw - christmas edition"? ^^

coffeedotbean(Posted 2009) [#5]
Thanks for the comments guys.

@ shadow turtle - too late to add a story mode, but TBH I cannot see how I could of added it to the current design, I guess if I started from scratch I could add a map with huts and a player could choose which hut to go to and play the puzzles there etc. .. maybe next time =D

@ Rigz - I have changed the audio driver in the new build, could you try that when you have time? thanks.

@ Skully - HoHo! Merry christmas.

I have updated the link in the original post to a new build

- added full mouse control
- added how to play pages
- few minor niggles fixed

was worried about the sound crackle on Win 7 so changed the auto driver.. cookies to whom ever can test this on Vista and windows 7.

Pete Rigz(Posted 2009) [#6]
Crackling gone now, sounds fine. Like the mouse controls too.

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#7]
Sound crackles alot on Windows 7 Ultimate x64, realtek hd audio all updated to latest.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2009) [#8]
Damn you windows 7!!!

@snixx is it the music or sound ot both that crackles?
& rigs you running 32 or 64bit win 7?

Think ill need to take a copy over to my brothers place and test it out on his windows 7.

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#9]
it seems like its just the music

Pete Rigz(Posted 2009) [#10]
I have 64bit windows 7, creative x-fi thingy. Definately still fine, although strangely it no longer crackles on the old version either... [edit]scrap that, still crackles on the old version.

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#11]
Quick question, what timing method do you use on a game like this? its very smooth.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2009) [#12]
No fancy delta timing etc, just set refresh to 60 and Flip(1) - so its forced to play @ 60fps. I have a little millisecs() timer in there to control movment speed, ie it will only move 1px every 1/5th of a second etc. but thats it.

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#13]
Nice little puzzel game works well on my Win7 haven't seen any glitches.
Haven't tried it on Vista yet.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2009) [#14]
Beta 3 is out (link in original post). Unless any bugs pop up all the coding is done.

- added a tutorial level when you first start
- fixed up a few graphic issue that I noticed
- added the function that the mouse moves with the ogject when you push it, cannot decide if that is good or bad.
- puzzles 5-10 jave been changed to some really tricky ones.. do you have the brains to solve them? :p

Would love some one to check my grammer with the tutorial messages.

Thanks for the comments so far, would love to hear from some one on vista.

okee(Posted 2009) [#15]
coffee, just downloaded the latest version
and i'm getting the music crackling problem
I'm running XP through bootcamp on a Macbook

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#16]
and i'm getting the music crackling problem
I'm running XP through bootcamp on a Macbook
I use to get that all the time using XP+Boot camp as you have to use the drivers supplied by apple. I had lots of software with sound issues. In the end I just used the iMac with OS X only and Windows OS on the PC's.

@coffeedotbeen: works sofar on Vista ok.

okee(Posted 2009) [#17]
Yeah thought it might be something like that.

@coffeedotbean
Nice game
Just one small thing, in the instructions
the plus and minus seem to be the wrong way
round, i.e. it would be more natural for the
plus to be on the right to signify increase
and minus on the left to signify decrease

coffeedotbean(Posted 2009) [#18]
@ okee - ya probably right about the + and -

I have added a Mac (intel) version (link in original post), with it being mac should work just fine on any mac intel... I hope.

okee(Posted 2009) [#19]
also i really like the way you've got around the profiles by just having
3 buttons, saves a lot of coding.