my attempt at a shmup

Community Forums/Showcase/my attempt at a shmup

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have been working on this in my spare time:

I am really trying to build a library of reusable functions as well as a framework. As I am building this game, I am learning a lot about OOP and how to make my code better than before. I think I have miles to go before I can really say I can make a good game. Any way, It can be downloaded from here:
http://www.filefront.com/15085323/millenia.zip

let me know if it gives any problems. I have implemented the score functionality but they are dis-activated at the present do to not having Vista or windows 7. I would like to know if it runs fine in those systems as it is. The window/full screen option is dis-activated for the time being for the same reasons.

Amon(Posted 2009) [#2]
That was cool. :) Very retro feel to it. I got 2012 fps on my rig.

Music was cool and it got quite manic. If you finish this I'll but it for definite. :)

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#3]
thanks Amon. I haven't balanced the game play yet. I just didn't want to have it beaten so easily either so I stuffed a bunch of enemies. On top of that, the boss is definitely impossible to beat. The boss is not complete as I am still trying to figure out how I am going to script its moves but it's playable, for a few seconds at least anyway. By the way what operating system did you tried it on?

anybody else care to comment?
I know shmups is not the most popular genre in this site or for the masses in general but I like them and that's what keeps me motivated.

Amon(Posted 2009) [#4]
I tried it on Vista and Windows 7 Pro. It works fine on both. Windows 7 did give a marginal speed boost though with the latest Radeon 4890HD drivers.

amonite(Posted 2009) [#5]
Just had a quick play, runs fine on my 7 years old pc on windows xp.
i like the visual aspect of your game, the movement of the aliens i find good too.
Though you could vary more the way they move and shoot.
It's too hard to play with the keyboard for me.
I Like the scanlines.

I too am working on a shmup at the moment :)
Find it harder than i expected.I realized it would be much better to make a level editor so that is what i'm trying to finish now.

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#6]
thanks, Neji, I like the idea of an editor.I have been pondering that idea. right now its a sequencer. the only thing I can do is create an editor for patterns. I will toy with it for the second stage.
I have made some changes to the menu. I have made a rotating menu kind of like the one I created for the BlitzMax framework competition. I also have created a new font to replace the ugly ones I had before but it's still not what I want but for now they are staying. I will update the download sometime tomorrow. Right now I don't really have time. Really Busy at work.
but That is going to take some time I have to adopt some code I already have. the good thing it's that everything is modular so it makes it so easy to make changes.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#7]
how about I edit your face with my fist

j/k