Detonate (formerly kaboom) new videos uploaded

Community Forums/Showcase/Detonate (formerly kaboom) new videos uploaded

Mark Judd(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi all,

I'm close to having my building demolition game ready for release. Playtesting found a few bugs, one of which meant some late nights recoding fairly core components of the framework.
End result however is better, more detailed buildings, more scope for design and faster smoother framerates.

Some videos :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtqpE8s6W3U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW_j7hIJ6s8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v10jAYd2WjI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0StMTHOjHQ

Last one is the most interesting I think, it shows the building creator and explosives editing.

Many thanks to all the people on here who have helped me, especially VIP3R and also Scribbla for his lovely explosion animations.

Oh and as is in the topic title, I changed the games name to 'detonate' from 'kaboom'. This was mainly because the more research i did on the 'kaboom' name, the more stuff came up with that I wasn't really bothered about being associated with.

Goes to show its important to research everthing before you start eh ? nevemind perhaps I'll learn for next time.

cheers,

Mark

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#2]
This is a seriouly nice looking project, looks better every time we see it.

Personally I think the name "Detonate" is a bit dull, although better than "Kaboom" - for me that name has history as when I first worked in the games industry for ATD we were owned by Kaboom (formerly GBH) and they managed to bring down a whole load of good companies in one go due to some truly woeful management.

Drak(Posted 2009) [#3]
This looks sweet! Nice work!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#4]
Pretty impressive stuff, you get a real sense of height from the camera on top of the structure as it piles towards the ground.

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2009) [#5]
WooHoo, FINALLY....been waiting for this too long and my 8 yr old is driving me nuts, cannot wait for it's release......

EDIT:

Got home from work tonight & someone stole our halloween decorations, my son way VERY upset, wow that was low of someone................

FBEpyon(Posted 2009) [#6]
I love this project...

I wish I could code as well as this, its been such a long time, I can't even type anymore LOL..

Nice project though.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#7]
I'd be awesome if you could run around the map and plant bombs as you go, and then trigger it when its safe.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#8]
I really like the looks of this!

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#9]
If you want to level any building, just fly an airplane into it, and it will spontaneously collapse 50 minutes later.

Mark Judd(Posted 2009) [#10]
Thank you for all your comments.
It's been a while since I was excited about a project but this is fun to play (for me at least!).

@leadwerks : I'm no prude but your comment sickens me. I'm not that naive and know that if you make a game centred around building demolition someone somewhere will model the twin towers straight away.
Doesn't mean you have to though - or even refer to it to be honest.
Mass murder just isn't funny imho. What people do in the name of religion is crazy enough.

Mark

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#11]
..nice work.. i like it..im wondering is it included (in game) some sort of tool for building your own structures for demolition, and maybe share with online community, or make competitions which structure will take more charges until collapse...of course some construction limits should be (like number of segments/modules used and so on)..interesting..

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#12]
Leadwerks,
Harsh man... not cool

Mark,
I'd like to see this kind of building destruction integrated into an FPS. Can you take any 3D model and destroy it like that or does it have to be a specially made building?

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#13]
@Leadwerks
I'd totally use this

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2009) [#14]
Looks like this was released, albeit quietly by Mark. Only 5 Euro, bought it for my 8-year old, he loves making & destroying buildings. Would be great if you could add other materials/objects as well such as cars, etc.