infantry charge

Community Forums/Showcase/infantry charge

Drak(Posted 2009) [#1]
Keep in mind this totally bogged down my system, but I thought it was still a neat picture. FYI, those are placeholder muskets. 100 animated B3D models.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#2]
wonder why it would bog down your system, doesn't seem too busy.

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#3]
Blitz sucks at rendering multiple animated meshes as it handles vertex deformation on the CPU (rather than the GPU).

dynaman(Posted 2009) [#4]
Very Nice!

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#5]
Are you loading the b3d mesh just once then using CopyEntity to produce all the different soldiers?

If so, try loading the mesh file seperately for each soldier - in my tests I could have 100s of b3ds animating if I did this, using CopyEntity it dropped the framerate to about 1 or 2fps.

Drak(Posted 2009) [#6]
It's not that I want to have that many units on screen at once. I was working on tweaking animation speeds in conjunction with forward progress speeds to make the actual animation look correct. The more units I added, the more varied the results became. They all started lined up shoulder to shoulder, and at my command, "charged". I think the result was quite pleasing as you can see by this time they are at all different forward positions and animation frames. I will however, try your suggestion as I simply used CopyEntity to produce all these. Will post later on the result.

Drak(Posted 2009) [#7]
The performance difference seems insignificant. However, using CopyEntity to produce all the soldiers, the startup of the app takes about 1/2 a second. Using LoadEntity() each time, it takes about 6 seconds for Blitz to load the mesh 100 times.

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#8]
Yes loading will take longer, but when I tested it the framerate drop when using CopyEntity was huge but it seems you don't have that same problem.

beanage(Posted 2009) [#9]
What does CopyEntity internally?