TalkingChat - a chat that talks !

Community Forums/Showcase/TalkingChat - a chat that talks !

semar(Posted 2009) [#1]
All,
here is my newest creation: a talking chat.

This program not only delivers the messages, it speaks them too !

It uses the brilliant ETNA library - which I highly recommend - and a speaker DLL from MetalMan.

Grab the program here: http://www.sergiomarcello.com/chat/talkingchat.zip

Sergio.

screenshot:

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#2]
a totally new chat program with text to speach sounds pointless

an established chat program like mirc yahoo/msn mesenger offering text to speach, worth considering for those with vision imparements or full on blindness typing with a brail keypad (have to admit id like a brail embossed qwerty myself almost as much as an ouija mousemat)

but for the blind im guessing nothing beats skype and or other voip services and last time i heard my pc talk to me it was using a really really bad setting and grated like no tomorrow

beanage(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hey, dont be that offending. I dont think this is supposed to compete skype. Its actually fun. Reminds me of good old times when i was sitting giggling in fronta my XP typing "Microsoft is a stupid set of assholes" into MicrosoftSam.

Nice idea. You may want to improve the gui, you know, the edit fields behaviour etc. if u develop further. There also should be more properties like how fast the text is being spoken, ip/port control etc.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#4]
Semar, this sounds good, but I'm not really a Chat-person, but I am very interested in a TTL dll for blitz. Is there a way for other blitz coders to have access to those files (Is it a decls/dll solution)?

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#5]
but for the blind im guessing nothing beats skype

How are blind people able to turn on a computer, open up skype and find someone to talk to on it, let alone even add that person? If it's already happening, then either I've been sitting under a rock or I'm just blind.

semar(Posted 2009) [#6]
Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions so far.

Yes Joseph, the gui needs absolutely improvement. Fact is, I've not yet found a gui for B3D that actually impress me. I think I'll build something new for this purpose.

@jfk, at my website you find the project So To Speak. It's written in BlitzPlus and the source code is also available, as well the DECLS file. It uses the same speak DLL used by this chat program.

Feel free to ask further if you have any questions.

Sergio.

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#7]
GIA_Green_Fire wrote:
How are blind people able to turn on a computer, open up skype and find someone to talk to on it, let alone even add that person? If it's already happening, then either I've been sitting under a rock or I'm just blind.
Wow! Do you treat all the disabled as sub-human, or just the blind? I think your gonna have a big shock the first time you meet a visually impared person who is computer savvy. You've probably met plenty of them online already without even realising it.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#8]
I'm not "treating" them as anything. It's just that I honestly don't know if blind people use computers as easily as people who can see what they're doing do. I mean, it'd be cool if they could. So if they could then that's great!

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#9]
there is some program that reads out the text on gui elements, so yeah the blind can use applications.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#10]
Heh, I actually did the same thing years ago with Mirc, scripting and Microsoft Agents... I set that parrot (Peedy) to speak everything someone spoke in the active channel :)

It was fun, and also, I could still keep up with the conversation while coding in full screen ;)

Just for fun, here's a pic I just captured of it:

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#11]
there have been braile line readers (as seen in sneakers) to full on screen sized versions (although not representative of the pixels on screen, just a larger line reader so there is less scrolling. text readers audio clues etc

things you and i take for granted in how to use a pc, other people have had to look at from all angles to see how someone who cant see and or hear, is an amputee or other can adequatly use a pc especially within the workforce.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#12]
Thanks semar! I already tried a decls some time ago, with no success. This was the first time MS speech worked on this machine. Thanks for the source/decls.

semar(Posted 2009) [#13]
You're welcome jfk ! I'm glad that it worked for you.

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#14]
It's just that I honestly don't know if blind people use computers as easily as people who can see what they're doing do. I mean, it'd be cool if they could. So if they could then that's great!

The top of our year in computer science (about 300 enrolled) was blind.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#15]
ha...I've had conversations with graphic artists who are legally blind and still do great work. It's mind blowing to say the least.