Blitz3Dgame-The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix

Community Forums/Showcase/Blitz3Dgame-The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix

Unite!!!(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hello people!
My name is Alex Baklanov, I’m from White Zebra Games company.
Please check out our new game “The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix”.
The game is Hidden-object/Puzzle-adventure style,
I created it using Blitz3D + some dlls (BSys, AppIcon, B3D_AppBase).

Here’s the site of the game:
http://gregory-phoenix.com

The demo is here VERSION: 110 (updated: October 28)

SomeScreens:

We would be glad to any feedback from you!

Alex Baklanov,
White Zebra

Why0Why(Posted 2009) [#2]
I emailed some suggested changes. Good Luck!

Unite!!!(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thank you, Why0Why!

Attention! Update!
build 105. [Fixed some system bugs]

Version will be able in a few hours.

@rtur(Posted 2009) [#4]
Excelent game!

plash(Posted 2009) [#5]
Looks great (haven't tried the demo yet).
I took a peek at your 'texts' document, and it's generally fine. There's nothing in it that should cause any confusion to a native English speaker.

degac(Posted 2009) [#6]

The Keys is in your INVENTORY.

One or more keys?
I'm downloading the demo right now...

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#7]
It looks cool, nice graphics.. tho I think maybe the hidden object part is going to be `easy` because the objects are a bit too obviously spotted. In some top HO games I played recently objects are cleverly blended in with the colors of the background and shadows and often are quite subtle. Yours looks a bit more like a jumble of full-contrast stuff thrown together? Not as a criticism as such, maybe it's intentional, but maybe blend the items into the scenery colors more?

SpaceAce(Posted 2009) [#8]
I enjoy helping with things like this. I will go through the document and make some suggestions. A license key would be nice, but if you've already given it away, no big deal, I'll send my suggestions, anyway.

Edit: Oh, yeah, this is going to take a little while, but I think I have some good suggestions for you.

Edit: Done and sent. I ended up rewriting most of the text. I hope you find the revisions useful.

SpaceAce

Unite!!!(Posted 2009) [#9]
Finally, I reuploaded a newer version.

@rtur,Plash,degac,ImaginaryHuman,SpaceAce
THANK YOU!!!!

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#10]
Ok, this is really really nice. Everything is cropped/feathered really well and I found no interface problems. The sound was great and the graphics excellent. I know some people that get addicted to games like this. More patient than I however ;)

The one thing that really stuck out though... were the Characters. Them talking to each other is somewhat... well, annoying and out of place I'm sorry to say.

I'm not sure if its because they are simple character drawings whereas everything else is rich, full, and crisp? or it could be due to them scrolling in from the bottom over and over during a conversation.

As suggestions, I think it would be better if they were real people or perhaps toon characters with 3d shading or something and just slid up to start the conversation, and then zip out at the end of it. Perhaps animate the bubbles leaving/arriving during the conversation. You could even have different expressions for mood changes if you wanted to go the distance (which it looks like you like to :)

I LOVE your GUI system and am hoping to achieve similar results with mine... A+ on that! The transitions and rotation... very nice.

Oh, that reminds me of another suggestion. On the loading screen with the tall progress bars at the bottom... perhaps add something at the top of the page too... game/your logo...

Anyway... extremely nice work.. hope you do well with it.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#11]
I just showed your game to my wife and the first thing she commented on (in any kind of negative way) was the characters seeming "elementary" and many grammar / sentence structure mistakes... She also thought the sphere on the right that contains the names of the items was "overly large". But she's still playing it so thats a good sign lol

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#12]
OK, She's still playing it... There have been a few curious "It didn't tell me what to do" moments that she managed to muddle through.

Some things to note: Since you are naming objects you will need language files to differentiate languages.. for example, you called what we refer to as a "keyboard" a "composer"

Unite!!!(Posted 2009) [#13]
2 ImaginaryHuman
Thank you for the feedback, I think it's a lack of our experience. To do this we need a lot of time. :(

2 _Skully
Thank you! Your feedback is very helpful! Can you send a line to my e-mail so I would reward you :)

therevills(Posted 2009) [#14]
First off, very nicely polished game! Well Done!

I agree that the sphere which contains the object is too large and the only other thing was that the sound effects volume is either too low or the music too high.

On your website you might want to put what the game actually is... also why only $6.99 USD?

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#15]
therevilles,

there is a very nicely done configuration screen to adjust the volume and sound controls... it has VU meters and volume knobs even ;)

Unite!!!(Posted 2009) [#16]
2 therevills
Thanks!
I know about the size of sphere. It's too late to change it witch is bad :/

You mean to explain on my site that the game is Hidden Object style?

You think it could cost more? ;)
It's a standard price for this types of games (bigfishgames.com etc.).

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#17]
I personally think you are priced well personally... you can always ask for more, but you will likely get more sales at that price point than you would at a higher one. Where the sweet spot is, well, that would take a larger company to know (like bigfish :)

Do you have a list of item names? my wife is finding mis-named items as she plays and I've asked her to make a list but that kind of defeats the gaming process lol... If I could have a list open while she plays and correct them as she goes...

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#18]
Looks pretty nice!

...Except what the h*ck is a 'breast drill' (image 2) ??
also, 'crowbar' is one word, not two.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#19]
There used to open the milk ducts ;)

Unite!!!(Posted 2009) [#20]
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

_Skully, I don't want your wife to make some "debug" while she playing :)
Let her enjoy the game! ))))

2 all
I'm working on "All-objects illustrated list".
So you can see the object picture from the game to name it correct.

if anything, sorry for my english. :|

GfK(Posted 2009) [#21]
also why only $6.99 USD?
That's sadly the going rate at the moment.

Sickens me.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#22]
I'm not kidding shes still playing it. First thing this morning she was on it lol

I guess the hope is that 6.99 will make it attractive enough to sell lots of copies... I'd love to know some typical sales figures (on a decent game)

Unite!!!(Posted 2009) [#23]
Hello again!

If somebody has a free time, please check the object list.

Here's the full list with images.
(~10Mb)

Thanks!

degac(Posted 2009) [#24]
Just reading your (big!) list...

Device to see in the past: KronoVisor?
(use the 'K' from greek because ChronoVisor I think is subject to copyright in some game...)

Edit:

Fresco --> bas-relief I think is the 'correct' version

therevills(Posted 2009) [#25]
Just very quickly looked at a few (From the bottom up - as the spreadsheet opened that way):

Mirror sphere? (Im guessing marble....)

Wood Box = Wooden Box

Clew? (Ball of wool)

Your cookie looks odd to me...

Didnt know what a Balalaika was...

Ring = Rings - Two in the image

Vent = Tap

Again didnt know what a Dirk was....

Strange looking Garbage Can...

cyberyoyo(Posted 2009) [#26]
Congratulation , your game looks very sweet.

I hope you could give us some infos on how well it sells on portals (since it's a HO game I assume you're trying to sell it on portals).
Even if you're not allowed to tell the numbers you can maybe give us general ideas, like if it sells at all.

GOOD LUCK

Unite!!!(Posted 2009) [#27]
2 cyberyoyo:

Of coarse i'll tell how it sells when it do! :)

Unite!!!(Posted 2009) [#28]
How do you like the new design of the site?
All feedback would be great!

http://www.gregory-phoenix.com

degac(Posted 2009) [#29]
The new site is better than the old one.
I like the button link to buy and demo (the 'Back' button is too big compared to them...) but - in my opinion - the main page is 'empty'.
It lacks of a background images/hero image - something to be referred to the game or title game. A text only is 'out of context' - and it is too much to read.
You could provide an intro-video to the game (the grandfathers, the King and so on...) to keep high the curiosisty.