24hr bmax project - "Shape Invaderz" 64kb FTW!

Community Forums/Showcase/24hr bmax project - "Shape Invaderz" 64kb FTW!

Matt McFarland(Posted 2009) [#1]

You can download the 64kb exe file here:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/gds/viewentry.asp?projectid=548722

You can download the latest source file here:
http://code.google.com/p/shapeinvaderz/downloads/list

The primary focus of this project is to improve my coding skills. All the graphics in this game are drawn up in code rather than using sprites. By using Framework assistant and upx I managed to get it right under 64kb. The exciting thing about this project is that I used only code to make the whole entire game. No media was required and the game is fully functional. It features light particle effects, polygons and just plane ole fun.

Let me know what you think, it was an awesome 24 hour project !

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#2]
I like this game a lot, especially the particle effects. Good old fashioned fun.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hey thank you! It's even better if you add one life of code to the tFragment update() method.. yv:+.1 simulates gravity quite well!

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#4]
nice! but you are missing the ufo.;) Your learning curve is really good. There is still a lot to learn though.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2009) [#5]
Yeah I missed my window to add the UFO, 24 hour complete. On to the next thing.. lol

Thanks, although I don't think my learning curve is that great. I programmed in BASIC, GWBASIC, and QBASIC as a kid growing up so I should know a lot more. I also just reashed on what I learned from bmax a few years ago that I forgot, so it was easy to get back in to the swing of things. What I did LEARN however, is clearly on the beginners forums, so indeed it still was a lot!

Right now I'm kinda stressed because I dont know what I should focus on learning next... I suppose I can make another 24 hour game including the same concepts I have learned from this one, and add in a couple of new concepts that may be critiqued.

Sokurah(Posted 2009) [#6]
Well done programming (most of) a game in such a short time and keeping the file so small.

The enemies see a bit static though. It would've been nice to have some life up there - some rotation or wibble/wobble movement. :)

Still, well done.