Nags Heed Darts

Community Forums/Showcase/Nags Heed Darts

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#1]
Moving on from my 'Darts Demo' thread which I posted 5 months ago, just thought I'd post what I was up too and show a few new screenies:-

First, the auld ones you may of seen:-

The original:-

Main Menu:-

Old Options Screen:-

Updated Options Screen (Though, old screenie as I've realigned the GUI):-

Profile screen:-

Main game:-

The Newest screenies are:-

The game setup screen:-

and finally the next tournament opponent screen:-

So... Its coming along, a few more screens to do in the tourney section to go, then I'll be adding the bonus games, then adding stats so players can see how they are going with others and finally... The big I'm not looking forward too, the instructions bit!

Dabz

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#2]
I think you should run more with the black/chalkboard thing, maybe make a chalk handwriting style bitmap font? That top of a photo of a still chalky blackboard would look much much more authentic :)

Looks good though, how have you done the controls?

Cheers
Charlie

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#3]

Looks good though, how have you done the controls?

Cheers! :)

Well, I've tried a few things and settled on the auld inertia approach...

To raise the dart, you keep the RMB down, to lower the dart, you let go of RMB, to move left and right, you 'nudge' the mouse in the respective direction and the dart sorta sweeps from left to right (Or vice versa), to chuck the dart, you simply press LMB.

It feels awkward at first, but after a little practice, its a pleasant feeling swinging the dart around the screen, because you have to think that little bit ahead on when to sweep the dart back (Which in essence will slow the dart down first, before going in the opposite direction)

Dabz

DarkMere(Posted 2009) [#4]
I think the whole game is looking really quite good, hurry up and finish it so I can get a copy :)

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2009) [#5]
Looks nice!

MGE(Posted 2009) [#6]
If you can afford it, hire an artist. That menu is not so good looking. What's with the 90's VB6 buttons?

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#7]

hire an artist.

Easier said then done, in my experience.

That menu is not so good looking. What's with the 90's VB6 buttons?

I'm using ifsoGUI, which is skinnable, Taskmaster has said he'll give me a hand knocking out some chalky style GUI, so I'm on to that too.

On a further note, I've been playing with the options menu board, making it more slatey and the text a little more chalky:-

This will also go onto the score board too

Dabz

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#8]
I think the images you've provided so far are very visually impressive. MGE says whats with the 90's buttons, hmm, I'd put them as more 2005/2006 buttons maself. I know what VB6 buttons look like (;-)

I reckon the mix of fancy fonts for 'labels' and button looking esque graphics for buttons works quite well from a user's point of view that is not overly accustomed to computers. But thats just an accesibility thing I suppose.....

siread(Posted 2009) [#9]
Hey Dabz, I'm adding a darts mini-game to my next sports title. Nothing special just a single game of 501. I was wondering how you go about calculating the best "out" for the CPU player?

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#10]
You should take this in the direction of some of the portal poker games, where they get a license and a number of cartoony characters to play the game. Only instead of some tv poker game, you could get permission from the BBC or John Sullivan or whoever, and make it the proper Nag's head darts game, with cartoon representations of Boycie, Trigger, Marlene, Mickey Pearce, Denzil, etc to play with.

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#11]

Hey Dabz, I'm adding a darts mini-game to my next sports title. Nothing special just a single game of 501. I was wondering how you go about calculating the best "out" for the CPU player?

Nothing special, as an example (p-code):-

Select cpuPlayer[currentPlayer].score
    case 60
        target.x = blah : target.y = blah    'Points to '20'
        return target
    case 40
        target.x = blah : target.y = blah    'Points to double top
        return target
    case 39
        target.x = blah : target.y = blah    'Points to '7', which leaves double '16'
        return target
        target.x = blah : target.y = blah    'Points to treble '20'
        return target
End Select

Bit clunky, but hey! :P Hehehe

You should take this in the direction of some of the portal poker games, where they get a license and a number of cartoony characters to play the game. Only instead of some tv poker game, you could get permission from the BBC or John Sullivan or whoever, and make it the proper Nag's head darts game, with cartoon representations of Boycie, Trigger, Marlene, Mickey Pearce, Denzil, etc to play with.

lol, that would be pretty cool, on a related note, I just bought the entire collection of Only Fools on DVD, happt times! :D

Though, I want to sorta keep my own theme/brand, as I am thinking of following this up with another pub sport game, that is, if I can get this sod finished! :D

Currently, I'm working on a 3D animation sequence when you win the main tournament, I not going to give too much away, but heres a little screenie:-

lol, pretty boring at the minute huh!?! :D

Theres tons to do on the animaion and the graphics in general on the game, which has actually turned out the biggest job since my artwork skills isnt the best, but I'm ploughing though it... Gfk and co have been a massive help over at blitzmonkeys, and I will go as far as to admit that if it wasnt for them, my feel for the game would of probably dropped off long ago and I'd be doing something else, instead though, I'm really looking forward to getting this one finished! :)

So much so, its currently 5.22am, I got up at 5am so I can do a bit of work on the scene before I head off to work! :D

Dabz

GfK(Posted 2009) [#12]
Looking good but I presume the sky/scene will be dark, in the end?

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#13]
Yep.. It'll be a little more moody! :)

It is a bit of a bum dinger of a screenie (above), but, I cannot really say publicly how the end will go, apart from it'll be 3D and a camera will be zooming about a bit! :)

Other than that, its an unfinished secret! :D

Dabz

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#14]
Little youTube vid of the pub:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyTPmebvkao

I'm pretty happy with the way the camera zooms about the building, there's nowt else in the scene apart from the pub in the video, though, I have started adding props and stuff.

Its starting to take shape! :)

Dabz

MGE(Posted 2009) [#15]
hey...that does look kind of neat. You can create a whole franchise around the "pub". Darts, beer pong, etc.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#16]
Thats a nice looking enticing intro to the game, I could see this on an arcade game in a pub as part of a suite of 'pub games'

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#17]
Barring a final beta stage and fixing the odd bug which I may of missed.

Nags Heed Darts is finished!

Oh la la lar! :)

Dabz

Taron(Posted 2010) [#18]
Ah, wow...that one's still around, too?! Sweet! I checked it out a few times...eh...long time ago. Wonder what it's like now?! I don't want to ask stupid questions like "Is it still available for having a sneak peek?" before I started looking around, but I have to bail right now...
...either way, just thought I'd say "hi" and "Sweet that this is still cooking!"

GfK(Posted 2010) [#19]
Congrats - always nice to see stuff getting out the door.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#20]
Yeah. Congrats Dabz :-D

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#21]
All day at work today I've been smiling me head off! :D

Cheers fella's, you probably know its been a bit of a haul, Nags Heed has been a big part of my life for quite a bit now, part of me is over the moon its done, another is its been a bit of a labour of love, has literally travelled with me when I was working away, and sorta represents a happy time, so I will probably miss it! :)

Up until I start tinkering with another that is! :D

Now, time to get rid of debug guff, pack the media and wrap the lot up for them naughty little beta testers to have a play! ;)

After a biffy baff of course!

Dabz

matibee(Posted 2010) [#22]
How's this for a random fact Dabz; There's a fella I've seen in our local many times over the years but we've never really spoke.. I took the brother-in-law round the other night and he said he's a darts referee off sky sports! I should get him to endorse nags heed :D

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#23]

I should get him to endorse nags heed :D

wow wow wee wow!!! :D

Dabz

therevills(Posted 2010) [#24]
Congrats Dabz... always good to get a project done :)

Good luck with the Beta ;)

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#25]
Game... Beta... Done... Awaiting news from reflexive, bigfish and gamehouse, but, game is now available at: http://www.denathorn.co.uk

Dabz

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#26]
Cool. :-D

Downloading now...

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#27]
Well, someone must of liked it, I've got myself one sale!!! WOOT

Dabz

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#28]
Ca-ching! That didn't take long :-D

DarkMere(Posted 2010) [#29]
I have been waiting for you to finish this for ages. I did download the demo to check that it would work ok on my low powered laptop, but it was presenting a few problems.

The menus buttons did not always work when I clicked onto them, sometimes taking several clicks. When in full screen mode, when I got the instructions button to work if informed me that this was not available in the demo version. When I got back into windowed mode and I got the instruction button to work, it actually worked and gave me instructions. I then decided to give the game play a quick go, but having clicked onto the play game button 7 or 8 times and getting no result, I clicked on to the exit but which worked second time and I abandoned it.

There is probably nothing wrong with the game, its probably down to my laptop. The laptop specs are:
Intel Dual core 1.5gh 2gb memory and 256mb SiS Mirage 3 Graphics. Windows Vista Home Premium

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#30]

The menus buttons did not always work when I clicked onto them, sometimes taking several clicks

I have no idea why that should be a problem, theres nothing remotely happening there apart from ImagesCollide() and MouseHit(1) on the main menu!

Cygnus reported a problem with laptop touchpad drivers, as well as they sometimes conflicted with pluggy in USB ones, he sorted it by disabling the touchpad driver... And everything seemed fine after that.

So just a general query, what pointer devices are you using on your laptop?

Dabz

DarkMere(Posted 2010) [#31]
So just a general query, what pointer devices are you using on your laptop?

Synaptics TouchPad V6.2 on PS/2 Port 3

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#32]
Can you check if you have up to date drivers on there for me please, apparently, Synaptics are'nt the best touchpads in the world, and when I tried google, it came up with a wall of grief! :D

I 'think' this may be the page you need: http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers

Dabz

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#33]
IT would be nice to have mouse support

GfK(Posted 2010) [#34]
IT would be nice to have mouse support
It would be nice if you read the instructions. :)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#35]
I should have read the instructions and it got a mouse supports!
Brilliant :)

I have bought it :)

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#36]
Thank you hotshot... Much appreciated! :)

And to you too Matt (You know who you are... lol) :D

Dabz

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#37]

I should have read the instructions and it got a mouse supports!
Brilliant :)

I have bought it :)

Just a quick question hotshot mate, whats your system specs mate, I'm trying to find out the lowest specs to put on the site, a few peoples getting back to me, but there not exactly low... low-end, if you get me (What actually is low-end these days)! :)

tar

Dabz

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#38]
my Spec is

2GHZ
3GB Ram
512MB Geforce 9600M GT

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#39]
lol, not low-end then! :D

So that setup works canny on the full version and demo then?

Is that a laptop spec.. As I'm very interested in laptops since there has been a bit of bother with usb mice conflicting with touchpad drivers!

Dabz

P.S. And thanks for your help, bit of continued market research never hurts! :D

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#40]
it work fine on my laptop :)
I hoping to have good 5 yrs of my laptop before i buy new one.
My mate laptop is sony vaio which is better than mine as he got better CPU and sound(he got surrounds sound! Damm!) where mine had better graphics than his

Next laptop I will get is Sony Vaio

back to the topics :)

research is good things and i do hope you make many more games for it as you got one game under your belt and you shouldnt have problem of making next game :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#41]
Works well on my netbook - that's pretty low spec, lol. Obviously a lot easier to play with the USB mouse or keyboard though! ;-)

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#42]
Congratulations. I've seen a few threads over at blitzmonkeys (not a member yet!) and on here over the years. Nice to see it finished!

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#43]
Thanks Ross! :)

Dabz

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#44]
Nags Heed Darts now available free to good homes! ;)

Check sig if your interested! :)

Minor bug reports welcome, additional update suggestions, erm, not! :D

Cheers me dears

Dabz

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#45]
Nice game.

Minor stuff:
- how about a window icon?

Menus:
- each menu panel should have the same size and should be placed at the same position. When moving through the menues, some were "jumping" which looks bad.
- when you create a new profile and enter the name, the options "new" and "delete" should be hidden from the user.
- the game options should "mark" those currently active.

I would invest some more time into optimising your data files (images/wav).
Also, get rid of the useless thumbs.db.
This will decrease your zip size a lot!
In addition you could Incbin some of the data files.