Bullet Candy Perfect

Community Forums/Showcase/Bullet Candy Perfect

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#1]
I made a game again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJE_uIAw6zE

Anyway, if you like shooting things, you might like this. It's a fun 2D in 3D shooter all about trying to make to make the perfect run. There's a 20 level demo for Windows and Mac OS X at the link below, and if you like what you see then the full version costs a small $1+ donation.

http://www.charliesgames.com/wordpress/?page_id=203

Let me know if you like the game (or hate it, I suppose) :) Pics below

Cheers
Charlie

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#2]
Looks great! though the text over the video didnt seem to match the fast action imo.

*(Posted 2009) [#3]
Amazing stuff :)

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks :) It's Blitzmax and MiniB3D for those who are wondering :)

Cheers
Charlie

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#5]
Looks just as intense and crazy as the last one, which is great! will have to check this out tonight.

btw excellent idea on the `progress graph`!

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#6]
@ImaginaryHuman, that progress graph is in no way inspired by Wii Sports ;)

My favorite comment about the game so far:

"The game is FANTASTIC. It's like meeting up again with a girl you
were on friendly terms with a few years ago, and she's suddenly a
hundred times better looking. Not only that, but she's also desperate
to shag you!"

:•)

Cheers
Charlie

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2009) [#7]
Looks great! How are you handeling collision checking with such non traditional bullets?

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#8]
They're just rect/oval collisions, all the logic is 2D. Doesn't really call for anything else, plus its fast :•)

Cheers
Charlie

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#9]
super great looking game. downloading now :)

an off topic question,
did you make your website?

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#10]
@Jerome, not exactly. It's Wordpress which has been slightly modified.

Hope you like the game :)

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#11]
Well done!

You've got mail :)

spacerat(Posted 2009) [#12]
The bottom button in the bottom picture looks like it says "BACH"

MGE(Posted 2009) [#13]
Seriously....why only $1.00....already? I would have figured you had enough existing customers to make a little bit of money from early adopters. Then..sure..come down to a buck once the diehards get their fix.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#14]
@MGE, I do make more than $1, it's a donation thing - you pay how much you think is fair. I've sold quite a few copies now, and only 3 people so far have donated $1, most are around the $5-10 mark, and several over that :)

Cheers
Charlie

MGE(Posted 2009) [#15]
Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#16]
Interesting info too :)

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#17]
Charlie, I can't e-mail you my files. :(

"A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
recipients after more than 48 hours on the queue on pih-inmx19.plus.net."

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#18]
don't know why that is? you could try sending to my other address i suppose charlie@... - i'm still receiving mail ok.

Cheers
Charlie

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#19]
Your sales stats with the `you set your own price` model are interesting.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#20]
Your games Pics look very visually appealing(;-)

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#21]
Thanks, you should see it moving ;)

Anyway, yeah - the way the sales have been going is pretty interesting. I had a hunch that people would donate more than a dollar before i launched the game, it's a psychological thing, nobody wants to be the cheapskate in front of someone else. It's the same reason why the second most expensive bottle of wine is usually the most popular in a restaurant.

Cheers
Charlie

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#22]
You are also removing the `you have to pay x amount` pressure from the equasion, which is usually quite a firm demand and something that most developers try to force out of them. So you're letting people relax more and not feel pressured.

Then you also automatically put them into the mindset of asking themselves `how valuable the game is to them`, which in a usual sales transaction isn't always what's on their mind. Sometimes with shareware etc people are asked to pay x amount regardless and then it's more of a question of whether that amount is too much above or below what they think it's worth. When it's too much above or below their estimation of its usefulness to them, they won't buy it at all, because then it's either too expensive for what you get, or the price makes it seem to cheap and gives the impression that it isn't as good as they think, both of which undermine their intent to pay.

When they set the price based on exactly how much they think it is worth they will not feel that they are paying too much or too little, and that makes them very comfortable, and I think much more likely to feel okay about making the purchase. It's a pretty interesting dynamic.

There is a technique in parenting kids, not that I'm an expert, where instead of telling the kid `you must do this` or `you must not do that`, you instead give them a choice so that they are automatically locked into having to decide one way or the other. Like, 'do you want to go to bed in 10 minutes without a story or do you want to go to bed in 5 minutes with a story?`. I think you're doing a similar thing here - instead of saying "you have to pay x" or "you wont get it if you don't pay x", you're saying "would you like to pay x or y or z or p or q or r?" - it's like you're automatically assuming they they will pay *something*, getting the customer into the mindset of asking themselves HOW much they value it not whether they `value it or not`. They are sure to then come up with some kind of a value, and then they have admitted to themselves that they think it's worth z amount and then there is really no reason not to buy it, unless they have other pressing financial reasons.

It's interesting that you said some people have paid more than $5 and others even more than that. You'd think everyone would just pay the absolute minimum of $1, if people really were interested in paying as little as possible. Evidently people aren't interested in paying as little as possible, they're intersted in paying what they think something is worth, which like you say may be based on guilt and not wanting to appear too cheap, etc.

Another element of what you're doing is making your game practically free, which appeals to those people out there who don't want to pay hardly anything if at all. This way you get them to consider paying at least a little bit, and potentially more, which means that maybe you're making money from those people who would absolutely never pay $10 or $20, but who would pay $1, 2 or maybe 5. It's kinda cool.

I wonder if this business model is kind of the equivalent of a `Web 2.0` style model, ie user-centric, let the user decide, let them act as if they are the developer? I also wonder if a `Web 3.0` model would work, like, a negotiated price between both parties?

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#23]
Yeah, that's pretty much the angle i was going for. I also try to make sure the text on the page is first person, so that people know it's just me behind the scenes. I don't imagine this sales technique would work on portals, they've already got lots of money, haven't they?

Cheers
Charlie

Big&(Posted 2009) [#24]
Looks awesome Charlie. Going to grab this when I get SY!NSO! out of the door and get some free time back :)

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#25]
Cool, is it the Xbox version you're working on? Either way, i'm very much looking forward to taking your money ;)

Cheers
Charlie

Big&(Posted 2009) [#26]
LOL! It may only be a pound though! ;)

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#27]
Linux version out new :)

http://www.charliesgames.com/wordpress/?page_id=203

Cheers
Charlie

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#28]
Cool man.