TimeOS - The first os ever written in B+!

Community Forums/Showcase/TimeOS - The first os ever written in B+!

neos300(Posted 2009) [#1]
Well, i have recently started working on an os project, so here it is!

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#2]
Well, it's more of a command line, and not a very clever one. do you just plan to replicate a dos-like command line?

Ked(Posted 2009) [#3]
Do you know what an OS is, neos300?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
Given that all of the Blitz languages depend on another OS to run under, this isn't an OS -- at best, it's a shell.

Xzider(Posted 2009) [#5]
Definitely not an OS. An OS handles drivers, file-system, resources, everything. Windows is still the OS. If anything this is an inefficient command line. Not many commands at that. And typing a wrong command crashes it. Also you called it bootloader.exe? It's not a bootloader either. A bootloader generally occupies the first 512 bytes of an HDD sector (Or similar storage device), the BIOS looks for this boot sector and loads it. Generally the 512-byte bootsector loads an additional boot program, in case you need more than 512 bytes. Then that boot program loads/gives full control to the OS. You need to look up some tutorials on that. I recommend C++/Assembly for this.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#6]
I recommend C++/Assembly for this

Generally, for things like Operating systems and bootloaders: If you don't know inside and out how others work, the chances that you're up to the task in writing one from scratch are slim to none. :-/

Robert Cummings(Posted 2009) [#7]
No need to beat up on his enthusiasm :)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#8]
>>No need to beat up on his enthusiasm :) <<

..very true..

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#9]
Yeah, leave the guy alone! :)

neos300(Posted 2009) [#10]
Let me rephrase my original post.

This is a "fake os" This is not designed to actually replace the current os, but to emulate an os for certain reasons(such as you have to go through the os and try to find stuff in it, like Emu

And this is just a very early release.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#11]
I guess since some virtualization software runs an os within an os, you really could claim this is an operating system that just isn't able to boot by itself from a fresh restart.

Xzider(Posted 2009) [#12]
I guess since some virtualization software runs an os within an os, you really could claim this is an operating system that just isn't able to boot by itself from a fresh restart.

That's very open-minded of you, but Windows is still managing the drivers, computer resources, etc. You use the Windows API to access the actual hardware. Windows is assigning your program CPU time just so it can execute the code. Just my opinion, it's no where close to an OS at all. But as he said it's just a simulation. So good luck on this project!

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#13]
hmmm I always thought of making an os that ran over the widows/mac/linux desktop and had its own file management system along with an asm language and the ability to execute its own programs. I mean its really not an os yet but its a start.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#14]
hmmm I always thought of making an os that ran over the widows/mac/linux desktop and had its own file management system

That's technically not an OS, but a (graphical) shell.

Other examples:
- Microsoft BOB
- HP Newwave
- DOS Shell

Nothing wrong with that, but calling it an OS is a misnomer...

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#15]
It's a fine line. For many years, Windows ran over DOS. This doesn't (yet) have the functionality of those versions of Windows, and those versions of Windows were more than a glorified shell, but maybe this will be too in time.

_33(Posted 2009) [#16]
Pretty buggy if you ask me. Lots of work to be done if you really want to have a decent DOS-like shell. Have you tought of emulating ANSI text? How about a full set of file access commands?

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#17]
maybe neos300, nate the great, and imaginary human could team up,
as you were all working on the same thing independently.

Xzider(Posted 2009) [#18]
I honestly don't see the point. A dos-like shell on top of windows? Or even if it's just a CMD clone. Doesn't seem practical, though I have programmed unpractical things as well just for the fun/experience.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#19]
what struck me at first was "couldnt it be part of a game? having a dos/gui like environment" and if it is or if anyone else does implement a retro os to their game i sugest green ocr type a as the font

Luke111(Posted 2009) [#20]
If you transfer it into bmax and then make a kernel with bmax and c++, maybe a small os. Completely in BP - not so much...
:|
LUKE