My first game project

Community Forums/Showcase/My first game project

AvestheFox(Posted 2009) [#1]

the title on the windows title bar is not final.

the game itself has been in development for the past four weeks. Mostly setting up the graphics, tweaking the player control code and a few other things... I shall be setting up a work log for this game shortly and maybe in a month or so, a short test demo :)

the level in this screenshot is pretty much just a test level. the tileset you see probably wont make the final product, possibly nor would the player sprite (its steadily being tweaked adding frames left and right, frequently changing colors to suit my taste, etc)

And I'll admit, the design of the game was inspired from Cave Story

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#2]
Looks ok from what I can see, if I squink and use my magnifying glass :)

AvestheFox(Posted 2009) [#3]
aye, the background is an eye sore unless you have it in full sctreen mode. I threw it together quickly to test some peralaxing code. I certainly wont be using it in the final game ;)

Jur(Posted 2009) [#4]
Another platformer, yeah. The golden age of gaming is coming back!
Good luck with your project!

Ked(Posted 2009) [#5]
Looks very nice! I love 2D platformers.

AvestheFox(Posted 2009) [#6]
thanks, Jur. Much luck is needed!

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#7]
Reminded me of the Amiga when I looked at it. And that's a good thing! Next time a bigger screenshot?

AvestheFox(Posted 2009) [#8]
shall do, sir :)

oh what the heck, I'll make two more displaying the same level and double their size as a bonus :D

Yay?

Admitedly nothing new here, but it should give y'all a better idea of what it looks like up close... the climbing sprite does seem to blend in with the ladder... I intend to change the character's furr color to brown for that reason :P

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#9]
Wow that look sure takes me back. So you are designing this for low res? You are right about the main sprite - it is a bit hard to pick up against the background although this may change when you see it animating I suppose.

AvestheFox(Posted 2009) [#10]
yeah, its a bit easier to see when its animated. And I'm going for the classic 320x240 resolution from the ol' dos days (low res always just looked good to me.. perhaps nastalgia?) however I have thought about maybe upping the tile size (from 16x16 to 32x32) and the resolution a level (640x480 or 800x600) its one of those do as you go things. maybe near the end of the production I'll make these changes

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#11]
I cant really judge it till Ive played it, but it does look nice

GW(Posted 2009) [#12]
Looks nice.
Is the light blending of the background tiles done dynamically or in you map definitions?

Ked(Posted 2009) [#13]
I had a lot of trouble trying to find your character in the pictures. Maybe have it not the same color as the square tiles, ladder, chains, etc. :)

I'm feeling brown.

AvestheFox(Posted 2009) [#14]
GW: The light blending is apart of the images.... it would be nice if I could do that kind of alpha blending though without the risk of slowing my game down or or having to switch to 3D graphics mode and turning the tiles and everything into 2D sprites :P (an idea I do bounce around quiet a bit!)

Ked: Then brown it tis! :D

Andy_A(Posted 2009) [#15]
Nice looking game so far :)

Here's a link to a 2D process suggested by jayenkai that should work with your tiles.
http://socoder.net/index.php?snippet=12502

What you would do is to create a single master bitmap of your tiles and use the alpha blending technique in conjunction with the fast color replacement to create entire sets of different colored tiles on the fly. You wouldn't want to do this in realtime but between levels should be acceptably fast.

AvestheFox(Posted 2009) [#16]
thanks, Andy :) I'll save this resource to my hard drive and give the code a look

I stayed up til 5 this morning revamping the graphics and started work on the tile map editor (I've been using data maps since the start.. I think its time for an upgrade :) )

I'll update on the progress from here til the end of the week... (after that, I'm heading back home where I wont have internet, so I'll only be able to update once or twice a week from a library computer... if lucky)

wish me luck!

Ked(Posted 2009) [#17]
Ked: Then brown it tis! :D

Wow, really? I feel special. :P

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#18]
Takes me back to Jumpman Jr., one of my favs! Well done.

AvestheFox(Posted 2009) [#19]
alright, I figured its time for an update :)

I have two screenshots to showcase here to show off what little progress I have

first up... a very very basic and early view of the tile editor which I've been putting together since last night. Not much to look at, and I havent yet got far enough with it to have it work in the game yet, but its functionable and I've just finished the code for saving lvl files and uploading them (its given me a migrane the size of texas... but I did it! and I'm proud :) )

And as I mentioned earlier, I redid the graphics. I hued the tiles and the player sprite doing away with the b/w dullness and I redid the background which I think looks much better.

I'm open for further critiques on the graphics. And hopefully very soon I can put up a player test exe for those of you who wanna give this little engine a testdrive :)

Ked(Posted 2009) [#20]
Like the new colors!

This game looks really nice all together!

AvestheFox(Posted 2009) [#21]
thanks Ked :)

_33(Posted 2009) [#22]
Looking good!