Pocket Radio Player (Part II)

Community Forums/Showcase/Pocket Radio Player (Part II)

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hello everyone!

This is part II of the thread for: Pocket Radio Player. Part I can still be found here.

About:
Pocket Radio Player is a free Shoutcast compatible internet radio player for Linux, Mac and Windows platforms. Unlike the many other players out there, this software concentrates on offering basic functionality in a compact package.

Screenshots:
Windows 10

Mac OSX

Linux

Grab downloads: here - Translation Thread: here - Visit homepage: here

Bug reports, feature requests or suggestions are always welcome.

Grisu

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#2]
Nice work... KISS Radio ;) 'keep it simple...'

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#3]
Bug: if you go to the station list (I clicked it on accident while listening) and click "exit" without selecting a station (I didn't want to change the station I was on) the program crashes rather than taking you back to the radio front end.

Also, player should remember the last station playing when you exit, so when you come back in you don't have to try and find the station you were on- just like when you shut off a real radio and turn it back on.

Other than that, great program!

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks for the comments guys.

@Tachon: PRP is not as good as Eschalon, but I'm trying hard. ;)

1. The tooltip "Exit" is probably not a very precise translation. I might change it to "End app" instead. The app ends itself if you press it. That is as it should be.

To switch back to the station currently running, use the button on the very left side (marked red on the screenshot). It states the station tuned in.

2. Select "Save Radio Station" under options. This way PRP will automatically start your last station when you come back.

@all:
- Is the currently implemented "fav station list" enough or should I code a true voting system for PRP. I.e. each station can be ranked individually (via 1-5 stars, etc).

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#5]

Uploaded a new win32 version:
- 444 stations
- fav stations are marked with a "|*|"
- stations can be selected via genre *wip*

If you dislike the genre selection, you can simply delete the subdir "genre" and restart... :o)

*gets himself a stronger coffee*

degac(Posted 2009) [#6]

fav stations are marked with a "|*|"

seeing a '*' in the text-listbox is not very good...you should try to replace standard ListBox with a self made proxy gadget to handle pixmap on every platform...(I know FLTK can't support icons in listbox gadget).

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#7]
Sadly, my programming skills aren't good enough. Apart from the fact that I don't use MacOS & Linux. - Just thought some kind of indicator would be helpful to users.

Are there enough genre or too many of them?!
Still need to put around 200 of the stations into these groups which is a lot of work.

degac(Posted 2009) [#8]
I just realized I would like to looking for a station with part of the name because I remember only a part of it...

Would be an interesting option (so you could search for genre...) - I dont' know if it's already asked!

SebHoll(Posted 2009) [#9]
I know FLTK can't support icons in listbox gadget

I've added icon support for listboxes with MaxGUI.FLTKMaxGUI for next MaxGUI release. :-)

degac(Posted 2009) [#10]

I've added icon support for listboxes with MaxGUI.FLTKMaxGUI for next MaxGUI release. :-)

Magic!
Btw, when is time for the 'next MaxGui release'?

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#11]
:D

Ahm, if that's not to demanding, what about icon support for comboboxes?

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#12]
@degac:

I've added 10x10 icons to the station listbox. They can be defined in the skin file. Hopefully, this will work under linux and mac without issues.

@all:
Still changing stuff. I might put up an updated version of PRP later.
I usually don't have time to code during the week. :(

degac(Posted 2009) [#13]
Nice, but I would like to have a 'visual rating' like in the image below

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#14]
Nice idea. Could do this.

Any suggestion:
- what kind of "rating tool" (=> button, listbox, combobox, slider, canvas) I should use and where on the main panel I should place it?
- should I store the rating inside the zips or create an extra subdir for these e.g.?

P.S.: Uploaded the latest dev version (#1 post).

degac(Posted 2009) [#15]
I think the 'best' solution for rating is in the pop-up menu:
You could change the menu as below (just an idea)
- about
- options
- radio stations
- favorite stations
- rate this station
- delete station
- check updates
- exit

Of course when a station is marked as favourite PRP should automatically rate it (ie:3).

should I store the rating inside the zips or create an extra subdir for these e.g.?

There is already the subdir 'favs' so I think a simple file should be sufficient.

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#16]
A. How about making the rating an extra sub menu that pops up when you right click the station logo?

Rate this station
-----------------
x - unrated
0 - very bad
1 - bad
2 - medicore
3 - good
4 - very good
5 - excellent

Every other right click will bring up the "normal" sub menu.

B. I could also create a small rating canvas that displays the current ratiting ie your stripes. The user could right click on this one to change it via sub menu. That way the user would know if the station currently selected is already rate too.

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#17]

^ How's that? :o)

degac(Posted 2009) [#18]
I like it!

You could use a right-click on the station listbox to select the rating. You could intercept the EVENT_GADGETMENU so you can 'edit' the rating without selecting a station

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#19]

Was experimenting with a tiny listbox as a selector.

But I don't know if this would work well on mac and linux.

It should be easer "to read" by a user...

Or is this overkill? *waiting for Brucey to slap him*

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#20]

Slowly getting there... :o)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#21]
looking good Grisu (;-)

degac(Posted 2009) [#22]
Yes, very good.

degac(Posted 2009) [#23]
Consideration: I'm looking into the folder structures (DEV release) and I'm asking myself why there are 23 files in the GENRE folder...
It's easier to have only 1 file (the station database) with a structure similar to this

station_name|category|rating|user_tag

I think it will be more flexible to mantain. And you could add a 'search station by name/tag/and so on...' function too...
Moreover this 'station-list/db' could be easily 'shared' (if you like the 'web2.0-mania') with other user...

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#24]
Not sure if you station database would be such a great idea.
It would be more unflexible imho.

- For instance: if a user only has 10 stations installed, he does not need the whole database.
- If one dislike the genres, just delete the sub dir completely and PRP will work without them. Can't do this with a static database.
- I would have to rewrite the whole database via PRP each time the user makes changes or store all radio station entries into an array/type list while PRP is running and save it back to disk when the app is closed.
- If I would distribute a whole database, what happens if the user makes changes to the filenames? Also, what would happen to this ratings and fav tags. They would be overwriten or I would have to write some client/server structure for PRP. So it can connect to the server and get new / updated station files.

So I get your point, but I don't know which road to take here.

Some more opinions?

degac(Posted 2009) [#25]
I dont' know how is structured your 'internal' souce code about reading station informations - and I dont' know how much it will take to change it.
Mine was only a consideration about the fact that there are many datas 'duplicated' in many folders.

The database is not 'static': you can have the 'stations folder', and at the first run of PRP just 'builds up' the database and saves on the same folder it. The next time you start PRP it reads this file (or you might create a 'update database' button in the options panel to force the thing).
If the user changes the rating you save immediately the file. Same if the user wants to delete a station (and so PRP could delete the 'station.prp' file too), update the DB and save it again.
The Station folder has 457 items, so is not a 'big' database (and you dont' need to use a 'proper database engine' - it's only some text saved...
I made a little experiments to determine the 'sizes', and it is only 25KB (plain text) and 5ms to load it (with debug ON).

And about 'sharing' the station-list it was only an idea, nothing to take in 'serious' consideration!

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#26]
Thanks for this code.

Well, the fields "Rating" and "Tags" should be both INT values.
This also helps to save some more KB.

I don't know if I should transform the genre into an INT value too? Had that in the very first versions of RPP (e.g. 0=none, 1=80s&70s ...)

What if a station fits into more than one genre, than we should better stick with a STRING (e.g. "80s&70s,Rock&Metal"). Also, I would need to add a station genre string information to each zip file, or I don't know which genre a station has?

Furthermore I'm not sure if we should add the full radio station name to the database. But this would bloat it up even more. -> Name|Filename|Genre|Rating|Tag
This way I wouldn't need to read the files each time the user changes the listbox view.

In general I don't quite understand how you would read a single data item of the database. Do you save all informations to an array?

Wouldn't it be better to create a "static" list (TLIST or ARRAY) of radio station items. So you only need create it at start and write it at the end?

degac(Posted 2009) [#27]

In general I don't quite understand how you would read a single data item of the database. Do you save all informations to an array?
Wouldn't it be better to create a "static" list (TLIST or ARRAY) of radio station items. So you only need create it at start and write it at the end?

The logic (well, my logic...) is to have the database and the list for the user (to change station, rating it and so on...).
In the example below I read ONCE the database and I link every record with the GadgetItem. I can access to it via GadgetItemExtra().
In this way I can destroy/rebuild my listbox with my criteria (in the example I put 3 buttons, ALL station, For genre 1 and for Rating - only to demo it) living the 'data' safe in the database (unless I want to change/delete it of course!)

In the example I made the assumption GENRE=INT (one value). Technically it should be possible to manage mixese of genre (array of INT??)
Adding other info into the database (like the filename) I think doenst' make it too bigger (25Kb is nothing!)

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#28]
New version is up^.
Instead of one large database file, I have moved the information into seperate smaller ones. Hope that's ok.

Can someone please rate all stations and send the files back to me... I'm too lazy... *gets a softdrink

Changelog:

P.S.: Some translations are still needed! Everyone seems to be on holiday... :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#29]
Just downloaded latest build, I really like the option to give the stations marks outa 5 - cool as you like (;-) My father in law (who is 70) is vert taken with your application & has now got a copy installed on his laptop. An app for all ages.

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#30]
Nice!!! :)

Dabz

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#31]
Well, I have changed the visuals again for the next dev release. PRP now displays the rating + fav status at the same time. Hope this isn't too overloaded?

Currently, I'm changing the popup menu to:

Submenu "Rating" -> unrated to IIIII
Submenu "Genre" -> list of all genre to pick one
"Delete Station" (delete currently selected station, same as the taskbar item)
"Favourite Station" (toggle fav or not, same as the taskbar item)

This way you can change all important stuff without having to start the station first. Neat feature? :)

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#32]
A day later I have tossed my modified popup menu (above) into the trash bin. :(

I really don't know where to place a genre selector for a station.
Using a combobox like on the left screen looks "out of place".
At the moment I just display the genre of the station, see right screen.

Any ideas?

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#33]
New version is up!

#041009 (DEV BUILD)
----------------------------------------------------------
+ added / deleted / replaced radio stations (490 total)
+ label for genre (on main panel)
+ station list icon: displays rating and fav tags
+ new genre: 24 = "Season" (i.e. Xmas etc)
+ filer: select stations with with "no genre"
% all stations have a genre
% updated all skins
% compression: upx 3.04
% Win32: uses fmod 4.26.09 (stable, #300909)
- fixed some issues

degac(Posted 2009) [#34]
You could place on the 'station-image' the current rating (just a copy-&-paste from a pixmap to another one)

I really don't know where to place a genre selector for a station

Why you should place it on the 'main panel'?
It is already in the 'station-list' selector - the 'right' place (for me)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#35]
PRP is still (usually) the first app I start prior to the activities I need to do - nice to see it is still developing ;)

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#36]
Have updated the win32 version of PRP again (#191009). 510 stations included.

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#37]
A new update is available (#141109), #1 post. 540 stations.

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#38]
Have released a new stable Win32 version of PRP (#121209).

Hopefully, Brucey will have the time to update the Linux and Mac distributions as well... *keeps his fingers crossed*

Btw: It's the 1st Anniversary of PRP!

jsp(Posted 2009) [#39]
Btw: It's the 1st Anniversary of PRP!

Congrats !!

Looks all very nice and clean.
If you are still looking for improvements you could visualize the buffer for a better overview ;)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#40]
Am downloading the new build now, am using build #270909(DEVBUILD) at the mo.

Happy 1st Birthday PRP.

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#41]
Thanks guys!

It's 2010 and PRP will still grow! Take my word... ;o)

Experimenting a bit:
A. Shall the text labels spread when PRP is enlarged (like shown on the screenshot).
or
B. Shall I make the labels allign to the top. So we have empty space between them and the button bar at the bottom?
or
C. Shall the labels stay in the center. The button bar at the bottom part?

Opinions welcome...

Pineapple(Posted 2010) [#42]
I think B.

Also, when I was listening a moment ago, when the song changed, I got a 5% and couldn't hear anything. Changing to another station and then going back worked, but you may look into the glitch.

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#43]
There are some stations that offer quite poor server performance.
So for most cases this is not a PRP issue.
Do you remember which station it was?

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#44]
[EDIT] Screens deleted

Have uploaded the latest build (see #1 post).

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#45]
Just downloaded your latest and greatest to my shiny new W7 machine, working well (;-)

Pineapple(Posted 2010) [#46]
I don't remember, sorry

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#47]
@Blitzplotter: It should as Win7 (64 Bit) and WinXP (32 Bit) are my testing platforms.

@B+man: No problem.

If anyone can create a linux or mac distribution of PRP, please drop me a line. The ones I courrently have are quite outdated. :(

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#48]
Ok, here we go... again... ;)

#080210 (DEV BUILD)
----------------------------------------------------------
+ added / deleted / replaced radio stations (513 total)
+ added button to stop the loading of the current station
% increased connection speed a bit (FMOD_READONLY)
% Win32: uses fmod 4.29.07 (#220110)
Win32: reenabled double buffering for windows
% bmx 1.37, memory allocation fix for image loading!
% maxgui 1.38
- Rating was not displayed correctly (=> no .db file present)
- Credits now show up faster
- removed buffersize option

Download (Win32):
http://www.mediafire.com/?cmyykzgzjno (Build: #080210)

SebHoll(Posted 2010) [#49]
I can drop you an FLTK Linux build next time I fire up Ubuntu, if that's any help. :-)

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#50]
Seb: Any chance when you do, you could post a screenshot of the Linux version for Grisu? I am curious to see what it looks like on Linux?

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#51]
After quite some time I put up this maintenance release (see changelog for full details).

For jsp I was finally able to add "R.SH Radio"... ;o)
I also changed the default skin speaker (mute / unmute) icon.
Hopefully this isn't a step backwards.

Anyway, grab the zip while it's still hot.
Have a nice weekend!

Download (Win32):
http://www.mediafire.com/?qnjmdtt521w (Build: #220510)
or
http://knot.net46.net/inne/prp_win32_latest.zip (Build: #220510)

jsp(Posted 2010) [#52]
Cool, listening now :)
Great work!

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#53]
Spent today on PRP, added some new stuff. Also replaced some stations as they came by.

@jsp: I like the station too... :)

P.S.: I'm a bad coder, even worse artist. So if someone has a better bmx logo for me, please leave a msg. Size: 200x~40 pixel.

Download (Win32):
http://www.mediafire.com/?tuvzfcnymc2 (Build: #230510)

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#54]
I added a genre selection for the station creator.
The danish translation was updated.

Download (Win32):
http://www.mediafire.com/?uxy1wmziznu (Build: #270510)
or
http://knot.cba.pl/inne/prp_win32_latest.zip (Build: #270510, direct link)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#55]
Still looking cool, I've gotta get the latest... downloading now.

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#56]
Thanks Blitzpotter.

Spent this weekend on recoding the core functions.
PRP uses less HDD load. Therefore it is much faster on USB drives etc.
On demand I've created a first "portable version" of it too (no installer yet).

Download (Win32):
http://www.mediafire.com/?w2zw3iczzjw (Build: #300510)

Download (Portable, Win32):
http://www.mediafire.com/?ewjykxyuyz4 (Build: #300510)

! Important: The *.db files were moved to a folder called "db". !

Please report bugs and glichtes!

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#57]
Quick and dirty... ;)

Download (Win32):
http://www.mediafire.com/?qknylw2430i (Build: #040610)
or
http://knot.xp3.biz/prp_win32.zip

Download (PortableApps.com, Win32):
http://www.mediafire.com/?tdzmndnyumv (Build: #040610)
or
http://knot.xp3.biz/prp_portable.zip

coffeedotbean(Posted 2010) [#58]
My fav station is "Slow Radio".. cus I am a big softy.. thanks for the app Grisu top stuff.

EOF(Posted 2010) [#59]
First time trying this (portable version). Its sweet!
Good work

I get notable stuttering when I leave the player running and use the web browser (scrolling the window contents) or when doing any file activity (copying / moving)

Can the playback buffer be increased?
What tends to happen is, the % gauge drops immediately to 2% or so

OS=Win7

(BTW The American ads sound like those cheesy GTA 3/4 ones. Ha)

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#60]
Thanks for the comments guys.

@Jim Brown:
The "stuttering" you may get is mostly server side or connection related.
It has nothing to with the app itself. I tried increasing the buffer, but despite longer connection times it had no positive effect.

You can try a different server (if available). Also make sure that you have free download speed available.

Win7 (64 Bit) is my main testing platform. I can surf the web, download files or play games like BFBC2 with PRP running.

Btw: Is it only happening for some radio stations or for every one you try to connect to?

EOF(Posted 2010) [#61]
All stations tested so far.

No matter though, I leave this running through the night on a low volume and it works great!
Thumbs up

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#62]
@Jim: Thanks, I'm glad my freetime investment is of use to some people.

In my process of cleaning up the code I deleted a vital line. XD
As a result: right click on the taskbar icon didn't work anymore.

This and more...

Download (Win32):
http://www.mediafire.com/?5m3mejnyyyz (Build: #120610)

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#63]
|EDIT| Updated

Download:
http://knot.eu5.org/inne/prp_win32.zip (Build: #040710)
http://www.mediafire.com/?f3qatv3zkdq (Build: #040710)
http://www.mediafire.com/?zrzmmruoa1z (PortableApps, Build: #040710)

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#64]
The newest version features a station search bar.

*Thanks to Seb for the editable Combobox

Downloads: (Win32, Build: #090710)
http://knot.eu5.org/prp_win32.zip
http://knot.eu5.org/prp_portable.zip

EOF(Posted 2010) [#65]
Grisu

Good work on the long-term effort and support you have put into this

Now for a gripe. I would prefer the windows [X] to close the app as normal rather than sending it to the tray. The minimize button should do that. To me things are arse-about-face

Still, thanks!

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#66]
@Jim: You're totally right there.

[Edit] New version on the way...

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#67]
Did the changes Jim requested. Screens #1 post updated. - Anything needed? ;)

[EDIT: Updated 2 times]

Download: (Win32, Build: #170710)
http://knot.eu5.org/prp_portable.zip

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#68]
Some user requested an easier way to keep track of all the prp updates.

For this reason I have added a simple external app that updates prp when you want to.

Please make sure that prp isn't running when updating it!

Download: (Win32, Build: #240710)

For now the updater does not delete stations files that are no longer included in the distribution (broken for most cases). Don't know if I should change that in the future.

As always: Thanks for your support and feedback.

*(Posted 2010) [#69]
Grisu is you want a straight compile of the PRP for Mac I can do it here :)

I would do Linux but my nix netbook is packed as im going to move soon.

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#70]
An updated Mac version would be cool. But I doubt It will be a straight compile. Do you have time for such things when you're on the move? What's your e-mail?

*(Posted 2010) [#71]
edzup at hotmail dot com :)

If ya tell us what ya want I will look at it :)

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#72]
Can't E-Mail you...
xx_does_not_like_recipient./Remote_host_said:_550_Requested_action_not_taken:_mailbox_unavailable/Giving_up_on_xx./

*(Posted 2010) [#73]
try:
edzup at hotmail dot co dot uk :)

Got both of em strangely enough :s

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#74]
Hope it worked this time.

EOF(Posted 2010) [#75]
Grisu .. Thanks

One thing I am suffering from is frequent loss of streaming. The bitrate % indicator drops to a [--%] state leaving some buffered audio playing in a 'stuck record' loop. I have to press STOP then PLAY re-establish the stream.

Can you add a check for this situation? Psuedo code:
if bitrate%  = 0
  close the stream
  delay for 3 seconds
  attempt to re-establish connection with the stream
endif

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#76]
Thanks for the info.
Can you tell which stations are suffering? Or all of them?

I've uploaded an updated version of PRP.

Will look into your issue after the Mac version is out.

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#77]
Mac version is out: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=91385

EOF(Posted 2010) [#78]
Can you tell which stations are suffering? Or all of them
Grisu, I tried a few random sites (examples being Sky FM Smooth Jazz, BCN Comedy) and they all stop at some point. I guess this nothing to do with PCR, because I also get dropouts on sites like YouTube (where videos sometimes stop downloading halfway through)

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#79]
The new version is here. I updated the screenshots at the #1 post too.

Enjoy... :)

pmc(Posted 2010) [#80]
The buttons all come up blank for me (just gray squares), but maybe it's my machine (an old Windows 2000 machine). I navigate by using the pop-up tooltips. This is true for both the old version on your website as well as 050910.

Great little app.

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#81]
Thanks for your report! Sadly, I don't have Win2k to make tests.
But we should be able to track this down. It might be a MAXGUI bug.

Some general questions:
- Could you post a screenshot?
- You see the station logos and images in the about window!?
- All skins fail to display images? (-> options menu)

Here's a basic code to display one button with an image. Does this work for you?!

Example button image: (right click and save as: prp_back.png)

Example code: (copy and paste)

Can someone else confirm this issue under Win2k?

Thanks
Grisu

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#82]

An updated Linux version is here.

*(Posted 2010) [#83]
Grisu I just sent ya the updated Mac build :P

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#84]
Thanks. Uploading might take some time though. |Edit: Done :)|

I've added another bloated feature to the app: a Spectrum analyser.

Feedback is welcome (see dev files at 1. post)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#85]
Just downloaded the latest version from a few posts up.

I made the mistake of downloading the exe only file, but had deleted ny previous PRP install - so I needed a few moew files to get it to work, which I got from a few threads down.

Thanks GRISU, just got the War of the Worlds Remix playing thanks to your app!

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#86]
A new (full) dev version is up.
- Have done some more work on the spectrum analyser: It's now skinable. Uses less CPU time and can be turned off in via the options window... ;)
- About window got a fresh look.

PRP has a new facebook page: Please join.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pocket-Radio-Player/158555257511382

@Blitzplotter: Sorry for the hassle. I was on holidsy, so the late reply.

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#87]
Happy Halloween from the PRP dev team.

^All ports were updated.

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#88]
Build #271110 is available. - And the new website is up.

Thanks to everyone that helped.

SebHoll(Posted 2010) [#89]
Nice work Grisu!

Kinda noticed that the Mac and Linux builds seem to use panels instead of buttons with pixmaps set (like on Windows). Might like to standardize in a future release as, iirc, button icons are supported on all platforms. ;-)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#90]
Grisu, the amount of improvements you've made is truly commendable, my faves are:

Spent this weekend on recoding the core functions.
PRP uses less HDD load. Therefore it is much faster on USB drives etc.
On demand I've created a first "portable version" of it too (no installer yet).

I've added another bloated feature to the app: a Spectrum analyser.

Great work Grisu, I especially like the Spectrum Analyser.

Last edited 2010

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#91]
@BP:
Thanks! At least I'm on the right track... :)

@Seb:
If I remember right. in the past they weren't supported. Or this change had something to do with Brucey's GUI module.

Anyway, I'm not sure if buttons would be an improvement.

Degac made some screens under Linux:

Any opinions?

therevills(Posted 2010) [#92]
Hey Grisu, first time trying out PRP... its really good, but how do you add or create stations?

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#93]
Thanks for tesing! I've added a FAQ section to the new website (http://www.pocketradioplayer.de.vu/). Your question should be answered there.

Spoiler: The next Win32 version is already up including some aussi radio stations... *<:o)

Last edited 2010

*(Posted 2010) [#94]
Grisu: will send the new build over when im at me mac next, atm over me in-laws so no mac fun :s. Will hopefully whack it over midweek :)

therevills(Posted 2010) [#95]
Thanks for the link Grisu...

Im trying to add some of the radio stations from this site:

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/entertainment/broadband_radio/

Heres an example of the m3u:
#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:-1,5AA (Adelaide)
http://radio1.internode.on.net:8000/151

and a pls:
[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=1

File1=http://radio1.internode.on.net:8000/151
Title1=5AA (Adelaide)
Length1=-1

Version=2

If I play them via window media player or VLC (on Mac) they work fine but I added them to PRP I get "Unknown Error"?

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#96]
The issue seems to be that they're only offering a protected AAC+ stream.
FMod can't play these back, sorry.

Found this entry on shoutcast:
http://www.shoutcast.com/Internet-Radio/fiveaa

As long as it's MP3 it works fine:
Adelaide On Air
http://www.adelaideonair.com/
http://67.228.161.172:8075

Edit:
The stations on the site you gave seem to be all using the same "internode" base server. So none of them should work.

Last edited 2010

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#97]
Well, Windows and Linux updates are here. - Links #1 Post.

I'm thinking about an online update system where all radio station files are stored separately. So when the users checks for updates only the new files will be downloaded, not the whole package (as it is now under win32).

Not sure if something would work for Mac and Linux too. Can I simply download and replace files in the stations folder? Anything I need to keep in mind?

degac(Posted 2011) [#98]

Not sure if something would work for Mac and Linux too. Can I simply download and replace files in the stations folder? Anything I need to keep in mind?

I dont' see any problem to replicate the same behaviour under Linux or MacOS: you just download something from internet and save it in a folder - there are not library or strange files to be registered in the system.
On Mac (I have no access to a MacOS system at the moment) do you have made the application as a single 'package' (ie: the 'PRP' hides the .exe and Content folder - stations & co - in one only 'bigger' file) or the structure if the same of Windows & Linux (one main folder, one .exe and other folders)? Only in former case you have to 'work' a little bit to copy the files in the 'inner' content folder, but nothing impossible.

Cheers

pmc(Posted 2011) [#99]
Grisu:

Responding to post #81 3-months too late. Sorry about that. Real life intruded.

I downloaded 251210 and still have missing buttons. I'll post some screen shots. Honestly, I'm sure it's a W2K weirdness or because of my old video card or something (an ATI 8500 series).

I can see the fmod, bliztmax, and shoutcast logos on the about box screen. I can also see the station logos when I tune into a particular station.

I can't compile that code you posted because I don't have MaxGUI.

Some of the buttons appear when I use different skins. I changed to the blue skin and I got two new buttons, but the spectrum Analyzer (awesome feature) and volume slider disappeared. The Leopard skin appears to work perfectly.

http://img683.imageshack.us/i/prptest.jpg/

http://img26.imageshack.us/i/prptest2.jpg/

No sweat if you can't fix it. I'm probably alone in using such an old OS.

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#100]
@pmc: I'm happy about every report I get, even when it's late.
The MaxGUI module is free now. See here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=91243

If you find time please download and test the code.

@all: ANYONE else here with a Win2K OS PC?

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#101]
@pmc: your e-mail address isn't working, so I post it here. I've redone the blue win7 skin. Hopefully this fixes your issue.

Grab it here: Deleted!

Last edited 2011

pmc(Posted 2011) [#102]
Sorry. I'll fix that email later (website seems temperamental right now).

That skin doesn't fix it, so I guess it's not a skin problem.

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#103]
:( - thanks for the testing...

I own an ATI card as well, no issues.

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#104]
@pmc: Another full test build for you. :)

This one handles the pixmaps / button icons in a different way.
http://188.165.211.46/~knot/prp/prp_cc2.zip

^updated: No PRP object file included.

The version also uses the latest fmod and has about 100 new and replaced station files. Just in case some of you guys want to have the latest stuff.

Hope this works. *keeps his fingers crossed*

Last edited 2011

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#105]
The release is up (see #1 post).

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#106]
Running now, still my No.1 audio app on my main PC.

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#107]
@BP: Thanks!

I just added the 1.000th station to the database. Time for a little celebration. :)

WIP download:
(link deleted, because outdated)

News:
+ Updater: You can jump to a station directly. -> double click on filename
+ Updater: Extra informations on the files are available.

+ Introduced new Inifile translation system. You may now apply changes to existing languages on the fly.
% Updated: Estonian and Danish translations
% Win32: Tiny tweaks, Fmod 4.32.09 is used
- Linux: Fixed an Hidegadget() issue when using the serverlist
- Linux: Fixed an issue with setting pixmaps (Loading Window)

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#108]
The next Windows release is here (Build #060811). Thanks to those who helped beta-testing it. - If you are under Linux or Mac, make sure you update the stations.

DL-Link @ #1 post!

Last edited 2011

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#109]
Hey!

In case some were wondering, I'm still working on this little app. ;o)

Latest build for Windows is here (1225 stations included, #031011).

Grisu

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#110]
PRP has been updated again (Build #111111). See changelog for details.

Special Thanks to JSP and skn3 for their advice.

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#111]
Merry XMAS everyone! *<:-)

PRP for Windows (Build #241211) is out!

Hotkey support and a new spectrum analyser were added. See changelog for details.

Grisu

Grisu(Posted 2012) [#112]
After a long time the MacOSX port has been updated to match the Windows state of PRP:

Download link in #1 post.

Grisu

P.S.: If everything goes well, the Linux port will follow in the near future... ;)

Grisu(Posted 2012) [#113]
Windows & Mac builds have been finally updated. They now share the same code base. The former memory leak under MacOS is fixed too.

As BMX is dead, i.e. feature-complete, I doubt it will be possible to get the Linux port up to this level...

Grisu(Posted 2013) [#114]
Hey guys!

Put up another Windows milestone build for PRP (#121013). It now supports recoding. In addition newer PRP versions use an index file in order to make it start up almost instantly. A song history and playlist are other newer features. Around 1.900 stations are currently in the database.

Download: http://pocketradio.awardspace.info/downloads.html

Hope you like the changes.
Grisu

Regular K(Posted 2013) [#115]
Awesome program, thank you for a good, simple radio player!

Chalky(Posted 2013) [#116]
I've been aware of this thread for years, but for some reason only downloaded PRP today. What a brilliant program!

Grisu(Posted 2013) [#117]
Thanks for the warm feedback!

Can't believe that I have been working on this little player for around 5 years now. Seems like yesterday.

If you have any feature sugestions or radio stations that you want to be added, please let me know.

Grisu(Posted 2013) [#118]
PRP has been updated! Grab the lastest build from the website.

Happy holidays!

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#119]
Great to see your copy of BlitzMax is still working!

Keep up the good work :-)

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#120]
Congrats on the update. Long ago, this became my preferred radio app.

Great to see your copy of BlitzMax is still working!
Actually, he is on the list of people who can't get the Linux version to function properly and was among the first who reported the IDE bugs (which still remain unfixed) along with the MaxGUI issues on Linux he reported (that are still unfixed).

Grisu(Posted 2014) [#121]
Thanks guys!

Spent the last days to go through the 2.000+ station entries. Not much fun, but they won't update themselves. :( - New Windows build is up.

I'm not much into Linux, but the constant IDE crashes are killing me. Still need to update the Linux and Mac ports somehow.

Grisu(Posted 2014) [#122]
Hi again!

In order to celebrate its 6th anniversary I prepared another Windows build of Candy in Space ahm... PRP... ;)

Screenshot:

New stuff:
1. A logfile will be created when you record a station. It keeps track of all song names with timestaps. The file is placed inside the recordings folder.
2. You can use the right mouse button on song names or server urls (listbox) to copy the data to the clipboard. Should be useful if you want to buy songs online or look for the according music video e.g..
3. Added icon art for the station creater and updated the default skin.
4. 2.075 stations and counting.

Download:
http://pocketradio.awardspace.info/downloads.html

Grisu(Posted 2014) [#123]
Time flows like a river.

Thanks to the support of Christian and Henri the latest improvements could be added to PRP.

Changes for build #290514 (Arena Commander):
- You now have an option to fully randomise your station list.
- The code responsible for list creation has been improved.
- The station creator now offers a bigger logo preview.
- The PRP window height will increase automatically, when you use the tab or recording button.
- The default window height has been reduced to 100%.
- The Fmod.dll has been updated.. again..

Download:
http://pocketradio.awardspace.info/downloads.html

Please send in your selfmade station files, so we can pimp the database even further.
Grisu

degac(Posted 2014) [#124]
Hi

just thinking about streaming music and so on.
Could be possible to find a station that is currently streaming a song/singer checking the info from the incoming stream (title song, author and so on)?
The idea should to type in a title (or a singer) (ie: Queen) and searching in the current radio database what channel is streaming it.
I think this allow you to create your 'own' station (like some online service ie: groveeshark).
I think it will be handy...

Grisu(Posted 2014) [#125]
Hi!

If you stream the data, you can get these informations directly from the tag.id info. I do so when you record or listen to a station. So the user gets a list of all songs that have been played (= song history) / recorded (see logfile).

But in order to search for a certain song, it would require some sort of "main server". A long time ago Brucey wrote a small bass radio player that connected directly to the shoutcast server and got it's data from there.

Not sure how much work it would requre to implement that for PRP. But it would bloat up the app for sure. Plus require a constant download of data.

Brucey is busy with BMX 64 Bit, so I don't want to disturb him. :)

degac(Posted 2014) [#126]
Oh! Thanks!
I'm just reading the shoutcast API... and (of course) there's what I'm looking for:
http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/SHOUTcast_Radio_Directory_API#Get_Stations_Based_on_Now_Playing_Info

Now the problem is to understand how to get the desired info :)

Grisu(Posted 2014) [#127]
You're welcome. Brucey's project used his xml module among other stuff. The thread is located here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=81923#922704

Grisu(Posted 2014) [#128]
Just uploaded the last build for this year: http://www.mediafire.com/download/69a9zdztur7qgtb/prp_win.zip

I wish you all a Merry Christmas Time.

Grisu aka the old dinosaur.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#129]
And a Happy New Year to you Grisu ;)

Grisu(Posted 2015) [#130]
"Works perfectly"

Reviewer: compmend Review Date: 2015-02-02

Pros: Simple and clean interface. Works exactly as advertised. You can add stations to favorites. Has ability to record. You can change the skin. You can change the spectrum analyzer. Is portable.

Cons: Haven't found any

Other Thoughts: Great to listen to your favorite stations without having to install a heavy weight application. This can run from a flash drive, allowing you to take your favorites, settings, etc. with you on the go.

^ It's nice to see that some users understand the purpose of my app! :)

You can download the new PRP version from my site or one of the official mirrors.

Grisu(Posted 2015) [#131]
Thanks to this great community I was able to put out another build.

BEHOLD THE MIGHTY OGRE! :)

*(Posted 2015) [#132]
Very nice Grisu keep it up :)

There's life in the old Max yet ;)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#133]
Nice work Grisu, well done ;)

coffeedotbean(Posted 2015) [#134]
wow this still going =)

Grisu(Posted 2015) [#135]
Thanks guys! As I have learned over the years, one can always do better.

Therefore I added external Lame and BladeMp3.dll support. For legal reasons the library files are not included.

Grisu(Posted 2015) [#136]
The final PRP build for 2015 is available.

Stay happy and healthy in the coming year!

Grisu(Posted 2016) [#137]
PRP build #161223 is here for every Blitzer still out there. ;)

Merry Christmas and a great start for 2017!

Grisu(Posted April) [#138]
Happy Easter fellow Blitzers!

I updated my little radio player once again. :)

Grisu

Grisu(Posted May) [#139]
Since 2008, PRP has received over 100 updates. Grab the newest version - #170601 (Hot 100) - from the official website.

Grisu