A little excercise fun

Community Forums/Showcase/A little excercise fun

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi folks, pictured below is a little excercise thing that list 13 excercises of about a minute in duration with some 20 odd second rest periods in between, all the while dropping cylinders or spheres into the screen dependant upon the excercise.

[EDIT] Install updated so that there is one ragdoll which 'flies' during the rest period. His flying powers are removed at the end of the rest period however - he did used to have nine mates flying with him, which was fine on my main computer (with 3D card), but on transfer to the laptop it just couldn't seem to handle 10 ragdolls flying at once. Probably add a '10 rag doll' or a '1' rag doll button to the start GUI, then you can have as many as you want depending on the capability of your system.

The installable is available here:

http://www.wishingwellsoftware.co.uk/setup_GetFit.exe

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#2]
Dump that Blitz font and get a more "fun" font, it will improve the look of the program immensely.

I think this is a cool idea. I'm a bit of a fitness nut myself and would love to help, too bad I don't have B3D.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#3]
I tried it and I think it's a good program, certainly would give you a good circuit workout.

I think it would be cool (and almost necessary) to be able to add your own exercises and/or choose the order of the exercises.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#4]
@Sauer, I agree with you on the font front, thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the excercises I plan to create a .txt file that can be modified either via a GUI or simply via notepad in the short term.

I intend try out my routine early this evening for the first time, there is a bit of a focus on the stomach hence the name (;-)

So, next version will incorporate:-

1. Reading in the excercises from a .cfg file
2. Slightly easier on the eye font (;-)
3. Ability to change the duration of each excercise & rest period
4. Maybe 2 or 3 times the amount of objects

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
Do the cylinders/spheres hold some significance?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#6]
Nah, they are just some moving/dropping items on screen whilst the exercising period is going on. They stop dropping during the rest period - just some 3D animation to distract you from your muscles aching, depending on how hard you push yourself of course!

That is why I'm thinking of increasing them, an actually have them appear as though they are faliing out of something as opposed to magically appearing in thin air and dropping to the floor.

I was also thinking of using different shapes each time, but I dunno - it serves its purpose of providing an excercise program - the kids seemed to like it anyway, and it gives me another reason to do a little exercise whilst I'm off the running.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#7]
I think they are there to just please the eye. But all those things you mentioned BP sound great.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#8]
Be nice if you could hook your PC up to an exercise bike/rowing machine/heart monitor and stuff. Could do some cool stuffs with that.

For me, pedalling an exercise bike with some visual sense of achievement would be much less boring than doing the same looking at a wall.

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#9]
Make the font bigger and easier to read... apart from that, well done.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#10]
@GfK, Hmmm, thats got me thinking. I already designed some hardware that would interface the speed of a bike wheel to an Amiga1200 using the Amiga version of BlitzBasic, just needs a bit of evolution. That'll be a while of though - coding's more fun than prototyping hardwaring.

@Grisu, thanks for the feedback. Regarding the font, I agree - when I output the video to my telly the small font is a little blurred & hard to read from the living room floor. Increasing the size would improve it.

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#11]
You could also use funny "symbols" instead of texts?!

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#12]
haven't tried the program yet cause i'm lazy :-/ so i'm not sure how the program works....

but just a thought why don't you add an animated model under the exercise showing what to do for that particular exercise, it wouldn't even need to be a realistic human, it could be cartoony.

could be fun/helpful for adults and kids alike.... again just a thought.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#13]
@KingNothing, thanks for the suggestion - thats down the road a little and it'd be fun seeing shapes rain down on a cartoon-ish style person as he tries to 'work-out'. Changes the font & increased number of shapes, the image below is from the 'fast' version, clipped the image slightly but I think you still get the idea:

Please note: the installable has not had this minor update applied, got the other couple of things to implement yet (;-)

The bigger font jiggles stuff about the screen a bit more though.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#14]
I don't "get" this... is it a visualization and a timer for while you are working out?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#15]
@ _Skully, yes, its an evolving visualization which will in time have the following parameters modifiable (if thats a word) via a GUI prior to starting the timer:

exercise duration
rest duration
number of 'players'
list of exercises
Number of flying rag dolls (only during the rest period)
Health associated with the rag dolls.... maybe.

As you can tell, the visualization is a work in progress. I aim to manipulate the ragdolls so they are attempting something along the lines of what each exercise is supposed to be.

The downloadable install currently has one flying rag doll associated with the run slow version button.

http://www.wishingwellsoftware.co.uk/setup_GetFit_v2.exe