W.I.P of my FPS (no name as of yet)

Community Forums/Showcase/W.I.P of my FPS (no name as of yet)

CodeOrc(Posted 2009) [#1]
So guys/gals, let me know what you think of my very rough work in progress.

Don't be bashful, if it sux, I need to know before I go to much further :)
Kinda going for a earth-based semi-scifi... ish.

cheers

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
cool... are you fighting aliens or something?

nice job.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#3]
very rough? It is looking pretty polished to me!

Ked(Posted 2009) [#4]
Screenshots look nice! Show some with some effects or something. :)

System4 Studios(Posted 2009) [#5]
Looks great!! Keep up the good work.

CodeOrc(Posted 2009) [#6]
I'll do some fx shots later and upload them to show you guys and see watcha' think.

The weapons blue/pink energy looking stuff swirls and pulses in the chambers and tubes, and in-game it looks pretty cool.

dynaman(Posted 2009) [#7]
Looks very good to me too!

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#8]
Look like the Halo with Alien in it :)

angel martinez(Posted 2009) [#9]
Good work, I like the terrain, what tool have you used for it?

beanage(Posted 2009) [#10]
looks progressed, yes.

uuh.. yea the terrain rulez, however, i think the visual illumination detail of the terrain doesnt realy figure the .. a little more oldschool visual style of the weapons, especially that rocket-launcher thingy .. am i the only one experiencing that? maybe just some more detailed textures could help out there. IMO.

CodeOrc(Posted 2009) [#11]
Yeah, the weapons are a little old school as I seem to like a more traditional design of guns...but crazy wicked guns are in the process of being made.

I use 3D Max for ALL my model creation...code for applying the textures, and PS for all texture creation/tweeking.

I also use Fragmotion (someone here in the forums mentioned it's usefullness) and I really like it for animation/model conversions.

Glad that you guys like it thus far, wait till you see the actual models I am going to use!!

My game has a total of 12 diff monster types, all with 5 or more textures to get a variety of a species.

Of course I'd like to thank you folks on the forums over the last 4 years helping when I asked a question...the B3D community is truly impressive and helpful...many thanks!

Stay tuned...updates to follow in a couple days :)

Gladclef - Ben B(Posted 2009) [#12]
While I agree with all else in that it really does look like a nicely polished game, I think that the graphics could still be improved (maybe by adding grass/making the other features of the game stand out more against the environment?).

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#13]
Monster! Run away!

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#14]
Looks promising. Some vibrant, dramatic terrain lighting would work wonders though. As it is, you have very bright, shiny weapons which only serve to highlight the "drabness" of the environment. Expanding a little more on this clash of styles, I'd actually rethink the appearance of the terrain all together, if I were you. You seem to have adopted a "realistic" environmental style, which doesn't mix at all well with the more cartoony weapons and monster models. Don't be afraid of contrast and vibrant colours! Dark shadows, bold colours - the careful use these would really improve the visual fidelity.

I'd give the sky a more vibrant colour too and add more interesting looking, swirly clouds. Maybe stick a couple of suns up there, too. Litter a places of interest around the environment; some odd rock formations here, some weird clumps of vegetation there, perhaps a broken down bridge that leads to nowhere; stuff that not only looks quirky and interesting, but that can be used to dodge around, hide in, and climb upon.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#15]
Looks promising so far I am always interested in what's going on with FPS around here. What is it, Blitz3D? Is that Dot3 shading on the ground?

CodeOrc(Posted 2009) [#16]
Yeah, I agree with the artistic clash in design from the weapons to the terrain. My largest struggle is art.

That being said, I read everyones post and appreciate the input and I have been making changes based on the info on this thread.

In terms of weapons, what do most people like the most? SciFi, Military? Most Popular FPS games wimp out and use basic military guns rather than designing something fantastic.

What would you guys suggest on this ?

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#17]
Keep it Sci-Fi. That's how it was back in the day.

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#18]
In terms of weapons, what do most people like the most? SciFi, Military? Most Popular FPS games wimp out and use basic military guns rather than designing something fantastic.

I love quirky, fun imaginatively designed non-realistic weapons - but I don't think that my opinion is mainstream. Dunno if that helps but I hope it does.

josk(Posted 2009) [#19]
No matter what FPS game you play a shotgun is a must.

You could make a futureistic shotgun that fires a blast of laser pellets.

CodeOrc(Posted 2009) [#20]
Thanks for the input guys, much appeciated.

My world is covering about 2 square miles and so far no lagg, and luckily no GfX jitter.

I am currently creating semi-wacky scifi guns atm, so very glad to hear that I am going in the right direction :)

@JustLuke - I had several people (friends) read your post and they (now that you mentioned it) agree that my guns look too cartoony and that a whole new feel for them is a must. ^^

Well, back to work :)