Candy World Adventure : The Fate of Lillians comes

Community Forums/Showcase/Candy World Adventure : The Fate of Lillians comes

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#1]
In version 0.97 published on Download.com there were 8 diffent blow elements, stunning graphics, 12 levels and more

In version 0.98, I've completely changed the animations, now Elements, Bones, Crescents, Hearts have descents animations of minimum 32 frames...

Graphics will change for the best in the next few weeks... I will add also worlds.

I've ported the maximum amount of levels of the game to 24 cause I dont want to make it huge for the first game, I want to make it portable, simple and handy. Maybe I will make a Candy World Adventure Tome II in the near future with 42 Worlds, but it will be later this year.

I hope I will make 4 levels a week. So in a month the game will be done. The more level I make the best it will be.

Here is the demo for testing...
Candy World Adventure Portal

I hope you will like the game

I will respound to any critics about my game in this topic... Be kind and try to give me solid ideas and then everyone will be happy to play that free game.
Before

This version is the original...

After first optimisation

This is the new version of the game with the new soil... But I didnt applied the contrast yet

After Second optimisation

Candy World Tome I version 1.01

This is the final version 1.01 of Candy World Adventure : The Fate of Lillians Tome I... It has 16 levels. All the graphic has been rethinked and it should be nice now.

(Click on the images to enlarge)

The game's first boss is a giant chiuawa... You must beat him to achieve the temple and the quest.

Each world have 3 challenges:
-Collecting all the Bones
-Collecting all the Crescents
-Killing all ennemies

More challenges are coming up, such like button pressing, sheep-to-the-ben challenge and more...

Remember you can tame a butterfly after having pressed the secret P Switch. Only then they will be able to take you to places otherwise impossible to visit !

In Tome II and III, the goal of the game will be to find all lillians; in Tome I it will be to save the last Candy World owl... The Owl is a wize night bird met in Candy World Tome II on top of the World 1 : Flowers Garden portal to the World 0 : Zig-Zag Hills zone. He doesnt have a solid role in the game but notice you that a dog wolf is lurking in Candy World... Beat the Dog Wolf Wolfy to get a Golden Bones !!

Also Elements are more likely giving this game a scoop, you will find 8 of them in the near future:
-Fire
-Ice
-Wind
-Sand
-Light
-Shadow
-Electricity
-Rainbow

All those elements are standing on pillars for the moment but they will be placed through the game. Remember they are needed to kill the ennemies by its weak points... Each ennemies will have their or his weak points in Tome II and III. 10 ennemies from Candy World Tome II are pre-rendered in CWA and gives trouble to our poor pair.

Will they succeed in their mission to save the last Candy World Owl ? Play the game and you will see !! Or watch the new video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4EHDwLF5xg

Gladclef - Ben B(Posted 2009) [#2]
I got a memory access violation.

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#3]
Yeah, we all get those when Xylvan's posts appear... :)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#4]
The more level I make the best it will be.
We've discussed this countless times before. Adding more bad levels to an already terrible game, just makes for a longer, rubbish game.

No wonder nobody replies to your threads any more. You are oblivious to the good advice you've been given a hundred times before.

Oh, and dogs don't run like that. Unless its meant to be dragging its bum along the floor.

I like the butterfly. Make a game with more butterflies in.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#5]
I would invest more time into making the game work properly before investing more time in levels. Honestly

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2009) [#6]
Who's sponsoring this one.

plash(Posted 2009) [#7]
Who's sponsoring this one.
Microsoft - Ballmer, to be exact (last I heard).

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#8]
This will be a multiple subject post

For your information, I reduced the speed of the character in LOD... Its now half. Before today I havent got the knowledge to reduce speed by half. All atempt failed one year ago... I was modifying the variable itself instead of modifying directly in the Animate function.

I've added bubble sprites instead of the old one.

Candy World got some reflexion. The game look nicier now and we should release it soon. All effects are sharpy, the dog's move are same but efficient, all the game has been verified and has been submited on intel product page.

For more info about Intel partnarship program, go on:
http://www.intel.com/partner
I think its free, and Intel accept everyone

All our games are available in demo version at http://ageofdreams.site.voila.fr
http://www.xilvandesign.com

Enjoy the new design, and please, make feedback !

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#9]
>>For your information, I reduced the speed of the character in LOD... Its now half. Before today I havent got the knowledge to reduce speed by half. All atempt failed one year ago...<<

Xylvan, in very friendly fashion, I would suggest to avoid such comments because its degrading your work or way you doing it..speed of your character doesnt mean much as a information so all you need is just to tune it up, at reasonable speed, quality, sprites or whatever, but exposing youself in way that you had 1 year gap until you take over speed control for character of yours is self destructing...Im glad you keeping it up and I hope you will pull it off on way you want to, but dont spread your very nice enthusiasm on to irrelevant things...all best and good luck with it...

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#10]
Once again, He 's coming back ! ...and his revenge will be terrible !

The story 's about a guy that one day decided to build a game...
12 years later, an issue occure. Skynet was born ...

Hide your children, free your dogs and birds before his coming.

Mr.X THE Legend -_-' ...

Holy bible, chapter 2, the Armageddon

Whatever, I don't understand how, with so many help we gave you ( in the French community and here, and many other blitz forums ), you're having the same kind of graphics, bugs, memory leaks and else ...

ps : I hope this new game does not eat the eyes of the player ^^ ...

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#11]
Sorry but I enhenced the graphics of all my games...

Memory leaks was fixed some year ago. The game can last thousand of hour !

Why u keep talking to me ?

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#12]
Don't care about me, it's just the cost for the many times you insult me ^^
And a bonus for the many times you insult the French community.

If you want, I kept the logs of posts you left on Blitz3DFr.
I might have translated them and post them here, but, I don't think anyone need to read this... as you have already discredited yourself ^^.

Sorry but I enhenced the graphics of all my games.

Of course... hum...

ps : ton chien a les pattes qui traversent le sol... Des fois que ça t'interesse , et accessoirement, les couleurs pastelles, c'est super fade. Tu devrais augmenter le contraste du plan principal, il devrait être plus en avant que le background. +> question d'estetisme et de lisibilité
La moitié ( pour pas dire la totalité ) de tes prods souffrent vraiment de couleurs. Au debut je me suis attardé sur ton cas parcequ'il y avait un potentiel. Tu t'es saboté tout seul, c'est navrant, mais bon... si jamais tu étais capable d'accepter les critiques et d'en tenir compte :
+> Utilise des couleurs "chaudes" pour le premier plan, ton vert est beaucoup trop agressif, et "endore" le paysage. Le vert et le bleu sont des couleurs froides, qui generalement donnent un ton très fade. Donc, si tu veux une ambiance plus agreable, augmente le contraste et change ton template de couleur.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#13]
Thousands of hours? Thats quite a long time. Don't over exaggerate please, we can only take this much...

I must say I do admire your willpower to keep on working in your games despite what anyone else says. Although to me you're way to arrogant and cocky. But I'm not much of a people person anyway, so don't mind me :-).

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#14]
When I talk about thousands of hour I was talking about a day...

I'm not arrogant at all... You are too jealous to see the truth.

Les pattes du chien dépasse parce que le chien est "déposé" sur le sol.

plash(Posted 2009) [#15]
I'm not arrogant at all... You are too jealous to see the truth.
I find it hard to believe that you think someone would be jealous of your work.

In any regard, this thread should cease existence before it breaks off into ultra-flaming mode.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#16]
You know that a day consists of only 24 hours right? Even so, 24 hours of fun gameplay is still a lot. Most modern games aren't even for a total of, say, 14 hours... Oh well, good luck with it.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#17]
For me, the controls were too confusing. They need to be closer to one spot instead of thrown all over the keyboard.

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#18]
Tiens, juste pour eclaircir mes propos voilà ce que donne une modif des tons ( contraste / saturation )

avant (before)

Après (after)

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#19]
Ok if you want to come back to me...

I will look forward for adding yellow tiles.

The game is free anyway !

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#20]
Ok if you want to come back to me.

Are you crazy ? I just pointed you the fact : Your graphics are still the same ... And as I have always done : I give advices.
I don't care about what you want to do then ^^

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#21]
Sorry

I though you were making peace with me :(

Anyway thanks for your advice...

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#22]
There is no "peace", but there is no war between us. There is just "nothing"...
I think you already have enough problems with others ( and maybe with yourself ) to query about "us" ^^.

I have no time for war. So don't think about this.
I'm just here to give advices, and I do. ;)

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#23]
Your fasterrain will be out when ?

It could be interesting to implement it to my games... Cause real blitz terrains are a little jerky...

I think you've done great with your coding.

Do you have any game to present here ?

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#24]
Your fasterrain will be out when ?

Well... I'm in Holiday, and I don't work. So , it will be finished in 3 or 4 weeks ( I hope )

Do you have any game to present here ?

Not for the moment. As I've worked for companies during last 2 years, and I work on my own projects only when I have time.
Of course, I can't present any Works made in BlitzMax/blitz3d cause of confidentiality ^^

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#25]
Xylvan, I'm glad to see you have such `stick with it`-ness through all of this, your perseverence is strong and you obviously still don't let all these negative comments stop you from doing what you enjoy. Keep up the good work.

I think possibly that one of your major issues is just your grasp of the English language and the way that most English speaking people would normally speak - ie as their native language rather than as your second language. I presume French is your first language? I think for you it is largely just that you have a `cultural clash` with most of the USA/UK participants here. Some of the way you word things sounds quite weird and although it's not really your fault, it can make you sound like you're being intentionally unusual. I don't think you mean to do that on purpose. It also makes for lots of opportunities for certain people to use it against you, which is unfortunate.

I think some people feel justified in picking on you bceause of your cultural differences and use of language, and because of what they see as things you do with your games that they don't find impressive. Your games don't have hard-core cutting edge graphics or running around shooting stuff or blowing things up or all that. They are quite gentle and probably suited to a younger audience most of the time - for some reason a lot of people here find that something to make a joke out of.

Anyway, keep doing what you're doing.

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#26]
@ImaginaryHuman :
I really don't think the problem rely on this point, as on French' forums, it is the same :)

Xylvan is just... Xylvan ^^

In the French forum, he just has been banned cause of injures ...else, we don't care about the "xylvan way of life", we just didn't want him to be impolite.

When I started blitz3d, lot of people didn't beleive in me, and i had to assume a lot of jokes... but now, I'm co-admin on the French forum ... Just because I didn't care about what people think about my works.
So :

Anyway, keep doing what you're doing.

I'd say :
- Idem.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2009) [#27]
@Xylvan

No matter what people *think* about your games I would like to congratulate you for actually finishing and publishing these games. A very small percentage of Blitz users achieve what you have achieved - well done!

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#28]
Critique based purely on the screenshots:

The dog sprites look nice when static. I've not played the demo, so I've no idea how well they're animated.

The mix of pre-rendered 3d and traditional 2d art doesn't work. It all looks a bit jarring and mismatched. Not only this, the 3d elements are poor quality, which is a shame when they're coupled with nice looking 2d sprites.

The grass texture needs work. It's too busy and it repeats too much - it needs to be simplified and mixed with some other little details for added variety.

As a whole, the screenshots are too washed out. Tweak the contrast.

Take a look at some 16 bit era platformer games for clues as to how you can improve the overall look of the game. The SNES Mario games are particularly great examples. Note the clean lines, bold colours, and simple textures.

Pay more attention to the interface - slick, simple icons, a nice anti-aliased font, and careful screen placement would improve things no end. Remember, the sprites move about and the background scrolls, but since the player must stare at the same interface elements 100% of the time, they need to be pleasant.

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#29]
I've just modified the game a little, just to compare...

I need to make a better contrast but I hesitate cause I really like pastel tones.

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#30]
You can keep the pastel tones if you want ^^

Maybe just outline the main objects...

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#31]
Tried Candy World : The Golden Bones ? I think its thousand more elegant than Lights of Dreams

Candy World Tome II Portal

J'aimerais bien que tu évalue ce jeu aussi avant qu'il soit publié !

Ked(Posted 2009) [#32]
You would have thought that in your long absence you would have tried to improve your English.

Anyway, the game looks horrible from the screenshots. Please try not to use 3D objects in a 2D sidescroller such as this. The grass tiles need improvement (start over completely).

Please do not post back here, Xylvan, until we see some actual improvement. Good try and good luck.

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#33]
I think its needed for the game to have 3D renders... Monsters are prerendrered like trees and rock.

The dog is a solid sprite animated with 80 sequences, it will augment if needed.

The demo 0.98 is out the 10th August 2009 in its complete form

Further demos (0.99th, 1.00th and 1.01th) will be the complete game...

25 levels are projected

14 Levels are out
8 elements are collectible
1 dog(Candy my lovely Corby) is playable(it will stay one player only)
Prerendered sceneries(trees, rocks, portal, monsters and some NPCs) will stay prerenderred
3 temples will be included
A follow up to Candy World Adventure is projected, see my worklog

I hope its enough for the moment, all the levels has been modified to look like the screenshots above. Enjoy !

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#34]
one of the posts was in french so ive no idea without bable fishing the (more often than not incorrect) translation what was going on but

with the two pictures i liked the solid grass vs the sand underneath, it distracted the eye as we dont view the world via sediment slices, i think some of it was a post production alteration of colours etc so i wont comment as that isnt my issue.
mine is the green green grass of home (good) vs sand under the soil look (bad)

Ked(Posted 2009) [#35]
I think its needed for the game to have 3D renders...

Well then at least fix them so they "fit" in the game.

A follow up to Candy World Adventure is projected, see my worklog

Finish this one first!!!

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#36]
Finish this one first!!!

Its my priority to finish the first tome of Candy World Adventure...

I project 3 tomes for this game...

Imagine the amount of levels and tiles I will have to edit to comply with a such huge game as Candy World Adventure Tome III

I like the way those conversations are leading us. People seems to be more gentle and look really interested into the new games I'm building for them.

Maybe I should start a Subject for my other games to see what other people will think... By the way, I'm testing every corners of my game to see the bugs it haves. I want a perfect product without "Memory Access Violation" and without glitches. I will have to work very hard...

I will finish to debug Candy World Tome II first and after I will go deep into the making of Candy World Adventure.

Thanks to Bobysait and you all !

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#37]
No, Xylvan. Don't return to your old ways of spamming the forum with endless threads, please. Keep all your stuff on one thread and wait until people post replies before you post further contributions. A forum thread is not the place to talk to yourself, nor should it be used as a blog.

A bit of advice: drop the multiple projects and focus on developing/improving a single game. I'd recommend you spend your time working on the 2d platformer and forget about the 3d games for the time being.

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#38]
Sorry, I saw people doing it in the past, telling loooong stories and giving links to their BlitzBasic.com blogs...

No one told me that I havent the right of posting here...

But you still want me post about my 2D plateformers ?

I'll keep that thread cause its the more concluent

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#39]
I don't see anything wrong with telling long stories, but if you start multiple threads, each containing the same long story, then it's a problem. Just my opinion, of course.

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#40]
I'll post a new gallery for Candy World Adventure in here...

I think I will start the third trailer for CWA now, cause people need to see How far the development are going on.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#41]
I would still love to see you place all of your models in a "pack" and sell them so others could use them.

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#42]
I could do it, but its not realistic materials. and who would buy them exept the one really addicted to Candy World.

JA2(Posted 2009) [#43]
You should start making some merchandise, t-shirts, mugs etc of Candy World. I just can't get enough!

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#44]
And make them out of candy! made by a girl named Candy!

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#45]
Message to the communauty(and Bobysait):
Ca m'a fait de la peine de lire sur le forum les insulte envers ceux qui m'ont aidé. Je n'étais pas le maitre de ce que j'ai fait. Je ne me suis rendu compte de la situation qu'après avoir été banni(dans les forums francais).

C'est vrai que le forum français m'a soutenu dans la totalité de mon jeu, ce jeu qui était pour moi un rève pour quoi je travaillais jour et nuit!
mais le fait de parodier mon jeu, et de renverser le monde contre moi, m'a vraiment bléssé, ce qui m'a poussé à faire des choses que j'ai regrétté par la suite aussi.

C'est pour ça que je demande officiellement pardon, à la communauté française, et à la communauté anglaise, et je vous demande d'oublier les messages dans lesquel je déclare que mon jeu est complet, sans vous mentir, je sais que c'est loin d'être complet, et mon rève est de vous voir accepter mes jeux un jour, c'est pour ça que je me précipite à poster la moidre update, espérant que ça vous ferait changer d'avis.

It gave me tear to read the insult given to those who helped me. I was not the leader of what I've made. I realised the situation only after the banishment(on french forums).

It is true that the french forum sustained me in the making of my game, this game was for me a dreams I was working days and night!
But the fact of making parody about my game, reverting the community against me hurts me, thats why I was pushed to make things I regretted only after.

because of that, I beg for your forgiveness, to the french and english community, and I ask you to forget what I said for the messages in which I declare that my game is complete, without lying to you, I know that it is not complete. My dream was that you accept my games someday, then I'm hiring to post update, hoping that it will change your advice.

hub(Posted 2009) [#46]
- what not use a blog Xylvan and just post some short news here !
(Pourquoi ne pas utiliser un blog et poster uniquement des news ici ?)

- i think that it is always the same project with some small improvements.
(pour moi c'est toujours le meme projet avec quelques petites améliorations.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#47]
Xylvan,

All joking aside...

Being that this is a developer forum you are best to post your code for testing with a clear description of what needs to be tested rather than trying to sell it or saying its complete, when obviously its not. If its complete you should post that on the community news page.

The odds that you are going to sell your games on this forum are pretty low since nearly everyone here is making games as well.

I think the reason you are having issues with everyone here is that you are posting in a "I'm going to sell this to you" sort of way rather than looking for advise, testing, etc.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#48]
What ^ he said.

We will test it, but we play a LOT of games, and design our own too. So trying to tout for sales here is pointless. If people test and like your game from here they WILL buy it, without the sales "merde de vache".

We dont need (or want) to know about every small detail/story snips that are added to the game, just milestones and releases.

I hope you can see our point. Its not vindictive or nasty, its just advice.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#49]
I could do it, but its not realistic materials. and who would buy them exept the one really addicted to Candy World.

I am not joking, I would buy them if they were released. I really like the style and they would work well in a game I want to make for my grand-daughter.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#50]
I like the style as well. I just find the gameplay extremely boring and pointless - but we've all had this discussion.....many times before.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#51]
ever thought about making a game not about a dog?

I too like your sprites, they are well drawn (from the screen shots above). But I think you need to make the games have something a bit more interesting gameplay wise.

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#52]
Candy World Adventure Tome I is available now at my website.

It will soon be at Download.com, ZDNet, Filefront, Softpedia and more.

I hope it will please you...

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#53]
YES! WE KNOW!
It seems like you have not listened to anyone (inc. mods!)

Why have you yet again bumped a four day old thread with the same advertising information you have already said?? Both at the top of this thread and in your other (and newer) thread. Its ok if you have something -GENUINELY NEW- to say, but this is getting stupid.

JA2(Posted 2009) [#54]
Don't be so mean D4NM4N, I've been on the edge of my seat for four whole days waiting for this exciting news. I've hardly slept knowing that Christmas has come early for us lucky Blitzers. Maybe we should start a Xylvan fan club or something?

I think that many people here are missing the point of what makes a truly GREAT game, a masterpiece if you will. Where else can you find a series of games that all look exactly the same, have awful controls, and contain thousands of levels brimming with pointless and repetitive gameplay?

Xylvan, my advice to you would be to combine all of your games into one huge game, select all of the files together, hold down shift, then press delete.