Clouds

Community Forums/Showcase/Clouds

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#1]
I’ve been obsessed with creating a dynamic, evolving environment lately. One part of it includes an evolving sky, day/night cycles etc. I dug up an old project to reference for the new work I want to do using BMax and Leadwerks. I thought I would share it, see if anyone could improve it or use it. It’s sort of slow. This just does clouds that sort of evolve over time. The evolution is exaggerated to demo the effect. This basically is a fusion of code from the archives and forums. I did a poor job of acknowledging the authors of everything, for that I am sorry in advance. I can’t remember who did the skybox code that is in there, maybe someone recognizes it. Also, please excuse the poor coding and organization.

Controls:

Mouse and arrow keys, rotate etc
INSERT adds clouds
DELETE removes clouds
T to use skydome
R to use skybox

Add some clouds and watch them for a minute. You should see some fade away and some fade in etc.

Download:
info.friendlysoftware.com/~wallace/clouds.zip

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
cool. I dont have time to download it now but the screen shot sure looks nice

puki(Posted 2009) [#3]
Yeh, I like it.

I've always wanted to eat a cloud - assuming it is like candyfloss.

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#4]
Well I once saw a cloud that looked deliciously like a BLT...

Terry B.(Posted 2009) [#5]
Wow this is really nice. And fast too, I can get 25fps with 1000 clouds. :)
Great job!

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#6]
Glad you like it. I'm sure it could be faster by using single surface sprite thingies and such but honestly you only need about 50 clouds or so cycling in the scene to be effective.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#7]
Hmm...I've been looking for some fast volumetric clouds for my flight sim. These look really nice.

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#8]
Ah, a fellow flight sim nut! These "clouds" look quite good when up high, against a bright blue background. Would look great in your sim IMO.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#9]
Verrry Nice!