Make a game in ten minutes

Community Forums/Showcase/Make a game in ten minutes

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#1]
http://vimeo.com/5700094

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGcYo81kVyQ

Reactor(Posted 2009) [#2]
If you've pre-made your assets and scripts you're not exactly making a game in ten minutes. Plus, 'graphics and visual example' would better replace the word, 'game'.

That said, nice to see how things have evolved.

_33(Posted 2009) [#3]
Pretty neat :)

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#4]
Does the distance that the vegetation appears depend on the power of your video card or is it user controlled?

puki(Posted 2009) [#5]
Hurrah!

It's like making doughnuts out of sand.

maximo(Posted 2009) [#6]
that looks good, make more of these, its good selling point :)

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#7]
Its not really a game but an engine showcase, and the video is wayyy longer than 10 minutes :) But looking good.

sswift(Posted 2009) [#8]
You pronounce Leadwerks like the metal? I always thought it was pronounced like "leader!"

sswift(Posted 2009) [#9]
Pfft. That game has nothing on Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. The cars don't even clip through the terrain or fly up into the air while spinning wildly out of control after hitting the slightest bump.

joncom2000(Posted 2009) [#10]
While I have to agree with some of the comments about it not being a game as such, it is a very good example of how easy it is to build and test stuff in the engine in realtime. The script example for the truck I thought was fairly impressive for such a small script.

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#11]
I have to watch the making-of later but the driving video looks great.

beanage(Posted 2009) [#12]
Good thing. Make the road auto-erase the grass, and its kinda perfect in the context of the intention: rapid application development.

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#13]
Pretty cool Josh. I have been focused on other things and not using the engine much lately but can the road system be adapted to rivers?

Digital Anime(Posted 2009) [#14]
Very nice, even tho I don't see it as a game, it still is impressive.

I'll wait a bit before I will use the SandBox for any of my games at least untill the new version is available with a fix for the error where I can look through the textures of the terrain most of the time.

In the meantime I'll concentrate on smaller stuff like physics and lights to get a bit more used to the engine and coding.

SoggyP(Posted 2009) [#15]
Hello.

That's excellent, I'm constantly impressed with how this has moved on. Josh, you really should be proud of yourself.

Goodbye.

fredborg(Posted 2009) [#16]
Very nice! It would be interesting to see a more complex 'game' with several cars, ai, lap times, etc. I assume that's pretty easy to accomplish in your editor, but it would be cool to see how it's done.

Great job, keep it up!

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#17]
Heh, I thought it was spelled Leadwerks like in Leader too.

It seems like that is a magical car that grows vegetation around where it drives. What's with the weeds sprouting up?

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#18]
The directional light shadowmap just needs to be adjusted. The grass has a really high view range, but the second shadow stage needs to be offset a little to make the shadow more visible.

maximo(Posted 2009) [#19]
are you still offering your engine to blitz users at reduced price? If not offer it again, I may buy it

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#20]
I would also, hint hint.

N(Posted 2009) [#21]
I don't think that's how it works, guys...

maximo(Posted 2009) [#22]
nevermind how it works, his intention was to grab up some of remaning blitzers that didnt have the engine, if thats still the case, lower the price again and I'll buy it. 150$ is too much right now :0

HNPhan(Posted 2009) [#23]
no offense but on what do you base that the price is too much?

Why0Why(Posted 2009) [#24]
I would say it is based on his bank account...

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#25]
BlitzMax users are not my main source of revenue.

Doiron(Posted 2009) [#26]
Are you using a new version of the sandbox editor?

It looks fairly different from the 2.24 one (for example it features grass slope options among other things).

sswift(Posted 2009) [#27]
I would say it is based on his bank account...

Hehe! :-)

N(Posted 2009) [#28]
Are you using a new version of the sandbox editor?
Yes.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#29]
Timing is everything some times... if you miss the sale you miss the sale...

The engine looks great and I'd say its worth every penny from what I have seen. In other words... regardless of whether I can afford it or not, the product looks worthy of $150

*(Posted 2009) [#30]
I want to see a space game made with leadwerks engine, games with terrains can be made in Blitz3d in a few mins with all the media already done.

Doiron(Posted 2009) [#31]
I want to see a space game made with leadwerks engine, games with terrains can be made in Blitz3d in a few mins with all the media already done.

Well the sandbox editor is terrain oriented, but I can't see why you can't make a space game with the engine. Actually, the sandbox editor could also be used as an entity placement system for a wing commander/x-wing like game (which were basically composed of many arenas/jump points). And a realistic one should be eased by the physics engine.

But apart from the editor, you draw anything you want with any rendering engine, so I don't see why it wouldn't be the case here.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2009) [#32]
I have to commend you for using a truck instead of a car. We need more trucks in games. Looks very pretty too!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#33]
..maximo buddy..i dont know how much you can put in to an engine..but trust me LE is worth every single cent...once you taste it, you will understand that 150 is quite gentle price..

CodeGit(Posted 2009) [#34]
The support at leadwerks is not that good. I sent them an email on the 16th July asking for instructions on how to download the latest version. I had purchased the engine on the 26th July 2007 but was unable to use it as the graphic card required was way over the top. I even apologised for the inconvenience. I WAS TOTALLY IGNORED. I own most of the Indie engines available and this is the first time any author has ignored me.

N(Posted 2009) [#35]
Well I haven't had any problem getting in contact with Josh. Maybe your e-mail went to spam.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#36]
@CodeGit
Im quite surprised with that experience you had..I really never had such things and on my big surprise when i joined LE some time ago, response over pretty much everything I have had asked was instant if not, within 24 hours..community is also very very helpful and productive and i like it a lot..

josk(Posted 2009) [#37]
Again, always had good communication.

Send another e-mail, first one might have been spammed.

SabataRH(Posted 2009) [#38]
Looks decent, i checked out the other driving videos there as well. Would be sweet if you had method to fade in the shadows ( sorta like Fastext has ), the way the shadows appear suddenly is very eye catching and undersierable. Also the grass clipping seems to happen in squares, also pulled my attention away from the actual 'game' because every few steps these square patches of grass would pop up. A rounded clip distance would be far more attractive. And last but not least, and im sure you have a way to adjust this already - the shadows are extremely to dark and blotchy, halving the opaque on the shadows would go along way.

I considered this engine awhile back but decided to let it mature more, its getting closer but still too many 'little things ' bug me to much to give it a deeper look.

freshmeat(Posted 2009) [#39]
Wow this is not 2.24..
The whole package looks more integrated now:D

drools...when is this coming out ?.. can't wait..

CodeGit(Posted 2009) [#40]
Josh has now sent me download instructions. I might have jumped the gun a bit, but it did take 8 days for him to reply to my email.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#41]
but it did take 8 days for him to reply to my email.

Seems pretty good compared to BRL's track record.

Shambler(Posted 2009) [#42]
I can't fault Josh's support with Leadwerks engine.

If you haven't experienced BlitzMax with Leadwerks engine yet you are missing out on a dream come true ;)

Can't wait for the next update!

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#43]
lol 10 minutes to make and 10 minutes to play. that is a good selling point though...

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2009) [#44]
FOV looks wrong - when I drive a car I tend to focus on what's in front rather then what's now. If you extend the FOV on the video it will look loads better than it already does.

John Cage(Posted 2009) [#45]
Heh - making new and inuitive games in 10 minutes. Hehe:)

beanage(Posted 2009) [#46]
SuperStrict

Framework leadwerks.engine

AppTitle = "CreateGameGame"

MyIdea :TGameIdea	= ReceiveGameIdeaFromBrain( "MyGame" )
MyGame :TGame		= CreateGame( myIdea )

LaunchGame( MyGame )

Tested it, seems to work!