unnamed game beta

Community Forums/Showcase/unnamed game beta

matibee(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi all,

A simple gem smasher and my first blitz game :)

It's an audio + visual mess at the moment but there's still a lot going on.

If there's any artists out there who would like to take it on for a 50/50 split then get in touch. I'm not expecting any income from it, but it's a been a good little project that should act as a solid base for future stuff. I'd have brought GA's framework if I hadn't missed the boat, so I've been busy putting all the pieces I need together myself.

Some more info;
The music is borrowed from the bmax samples, just to test the playback.
It uses Mike Wiering's bmfont code and the Angel code font generator.
The player accounts / settings ini uses Grey Alien's "folder permission" code (for vista compat.)
It uses Koriolis' zipstream module.

My code;
OOP Base app
Simple Gui
Sprites / animations + animation scripts
Particles

Cheers
Matt

Download (Win only): http://www.matibee.co.uk/temp/Everything.zip

Soundless vids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKoupe6PmJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFIXS1knMfs

CGV(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hi matibee,

Excellent game with a lot of potential and it ran glitch free on my box.

I have three suggestions:

1) Give the game a themed goal rather than just saying clear 30 gems. Like in my game you fill a gumball machine instead of removing 25 lines of gumballs as the stated goal. I can't think of any themed goal for this game and you may even need to change the gems to something else to come up with a goal, but it will make the game a lot more marketable.

2) The font you use to display the results at the end of the level is just too whimpy! It's almost like you're trying to downplay them. You should use a larger or bolder font that displays the results as if they are a major achievement. After all it's why you're playing the game! (The revills did the same thing in the Munchies but he stated that the results screen is still a wip. Maybe yours is to.)

3) Give the player access to the options and tutorial screens from within the game. Right now pressing ESC or clicking pause just gives you the choice of either resuming the game or quitting it.

Well, those were the only issues that jumped out at me as I played, but excellent work, way funner than my game. :)

matibee(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hey CGV, thanks for trying.

1) I have a theme in mind, I just can't pull off the artwork. Like filling your gumball machine I want to charge some kind of battery, with the gems being replaced with psuedo-science electrons (a good fit with the electric arcs that form the lines). Maybe an artist will come with their own ideas.

2) It's very much a WIP

3) I had thought about that, and it's something I would normally do.

Thanks again :)

Tommo(Posted 2009) [#4]
That's nice one!
Just a little suggestion: I think use mouse dragging to select gems can be more smooth, and give a faster rythme to the gameplay than clicks.

Looking foward to your next version. :)

matibee(Posted 2009) [#5]
Thanks Tommo. You're not the only person to suggest getting rid of the clicking. I'll try it out soon.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#6]
Looks good and has potential. Keep going with it!

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#7]
I have zero interest in these kind of games, but as it is your first game in blitzmax I have to congratulate you!

matibee(Posted 2009) [#8]
Thanks Jake! It's progressing well. I'm only here (in BMax) because of your direct influence so thank you for that too.

Wiebo; I know what you mean, but as developers we can't deny there's mass market appeal here. I have bills to pay and children to feed and no day job. I can enjoy these games though, so development is certainly not a chore for me :)

There's a completely new beta on the way...

Aussie(Posted 2009) [#9]
I like it. Think it has alot of potential. I will be interested in watching this develop.