Re: That BlitzMax Coder 'magazine'

Community Forums/Showcase/Re: That BlitzMax Coder 'magazine'

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#1]
Wow, very nice!

I dont own BMax, but the magazine looked so well presented I had to take a look anyway. Just wanted to say how impressed I was. It's got a nice, vibrant look, but not 'messy' and very well polished.

skn3(Posted 2009) [#2]
Yup it is excellent. Really well put together. At first i was slightly dubious of the design, but it has grown on me!

Reckon you can WANGLE a monthly comment from mark?

Unlike the magazine that was done directly from this site (no offense to the authors of that) this one actually had me reading the whole thing. With the blitz official newsletter it was mostly geared to hearing what Mark had to say about blitz future.

On that note it was interesting to hear some questions from mark that weren't DIRECTLY related to blitz. Perhaps this could be expanded upon by asking something like "whats your favorite brand of cheese?"

The tutorial on splines was well structured and I will definitely be using it as reference in future projects :)

My only gripe is the fact it is in PDF format. It would be good if it could be web based :)

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#3]
very nice mag, my next project is going to put me into Bmax. Glad to have this , thank you.

puki(Posted 2009) [#4]
I really like it - like the style and format - seems punchy and in your face - shame it is BlitzMax only - kind of a community splitter - BMax only. Still, in fairness, if I was doing it, I would favour Blitz3D.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#5]
I agree with Puki, the mag should cover all Blitz versions even if it does mainly focus on the most current Blitz. It would help to pad out future issues too with some good stories. There`s still plenty of people using both B3D and +. This could be the ultimate mag! Looking forward to the next issue.

Jason.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#6]
That would be like a 2009 issue of PC Format doing an article on using DOS...

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#7]
How about doing an interview about Brucey? :)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#8]
Yeah, like that would be *really* interesting...

big10p(Posted 2009) [#9]
That would be like a 2009 issue of PC Format doing an article on using DOS...
That's a bit unfair. A significant number of 'Blitzers' still use Blitz3D and even Blitz+. The same can't be said about PC users still using DOS today.

josk(Posted 2009) [#10]
I also think BlitzMax Coder should cover all Blitz products.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#11]
Given it's name, it would appear to be focussed on one particular product-line.

Were it called "Blitz Coder", I'd expect coverage to be a bit more general.

I believe the main idea behind the magazine is to highlight BlitzMax and all the groovy things it is capable of - perhaps in an effort to gain interest from groups that have until now never even heard of it, or considered it worthwhile.

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#12]
Whilst I'd personally love any magazine to include Blitz3D content (and Blitz+ for the red-headed stepchildren), it's not like he's sprung the lack of it on us. It is called "BlitzMax Coder", and clearly for a reason.

There's nothing to stop anyone else putting together anything for any other Blitz products, but it's more often than not that the people complaining loudest for new content are the ones running fastest when asked to produce it.

Merx made the effort. Let that effort be what it is. More power to him. ...er... amen.

josk(Posted 2009) [#13]
Not complaining myself, just saying it would be nice to cover other Blitz products. As I have said in the post in the Blitz Max part I think the magazine is good.

The best thing about Dark Basic is their monthly magazine. I think if Blitz had something like that it could raise the profile some.
Covering everything might then receive regular input from BRL themselves.

Obviously this depends how far Merx would want to take it. I Ran a monthly paper newsletter for a bit and it was hard work but very satisfying, I wouldn't want to do it again though.

Anyway keep up the good work Merx.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#14]
I'm very impressed with the quality and general presentation of the online mag. I was initially B3D, coded in BMax for a while, and I've delved back into B3D of late. The mag has re-lit my fire for BMax, looking forward to the next edition.