Please try my mesh editor

Community Forums/Showcase/Please try my mesh editor

Warner(Posted 2009) [#1]

I'm working on a mesh editor, and I was curious if it runs on other (Windows) PC's, and if you like the basic idea of it?
It is a zip file containing the program's folder.

link to zip

Note that is isn't finished, and some functions are still disabled.
Drag shapes onto the main editor and use the bounding box to turn/scale.
Drag textures onto the shapes to colour them. Use New/Edit texture to modify the materials.
There are 3 demo files in the \media folder. They are however, quite bad.

puki(Posted 2009) [#2]
I downloaded it and tried it on my main internet PC.

It proceeded to consume system memory at an alarming rate and take my system to a grinding halt. Even after I manually cleared RAM for it, it continued to eat its way through memory - tens of GBs of memory.

I never actually saw it running as pictured - it seemed more interested in eating memory.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#3]
Really? That does sound alarming. Just to be sure, I'll remove the link..

Warner(Posted 2009) [#4]
Dearest Puki :), could you please try this testing program? It should show a wxMax form with a spinning cube onto it.
http://abcbasic.comyr.com/demo.zip
It should help me determine if it is wxMax+minib3d that's causing the problem, or something else.

puki(Posted 2009) [#5]
The new one doesn't run - I get a Microsoft '... has encountered a problem and needs to close...'

I'm running XP with Service Pack 3.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#6]
That is either real good news, or real bad. Thanks a lot for testing!

granada(Posted 2009) [#7]
It should show a wxMax form with a spinning cube onto it

runs ok here

Warner(Posted 2009) [#8]
Well, for those machines that do run it, I now uploaded the orginal demo program to my own site rather than mediafire. There is still not solution for the "puki" issue, but I'm working on it. If it does run, I appreciate any feedback.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2009) [#9]
there is no solution for the 'puki issue' :p

The program seems to run fine on Ubuntu 9 (through wine). No memory issues. However when I click a shape fro the list on the left and try to 'draw' something on the grid, nothing happens. This may just nog been imlpemented yet though.

Loading a model form the media directory works as well.

Those 2 little swirly circles on the top-right are strangely fascinating @_@. Are you trying to hypnotise your users into baking you cookies?

Terry B.(Posted 2009) [#10]
works good here.
Dont really know what its used for though. Can you save meshes with it?

Warner(Posted 2009) [#11]
@Jim Heh, yes, it is actually a tool for world domination ..
@Terry You should drag the shapes onto the main editor. Everything that is enabled should work. I disabled the buttons that are not finished.
Yeah, you can save meshes with it, but only in it's own format for now.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#12]
Pukiliest puki .. could I please ask you one last time to test this?
http://abcbasic.comyr.com/glcube.zip
It is just the glcube demo from wxmax, but I works on my XP laptop, that also had trouble running the mesh editor. If it works I'm hoping to find a clue what causes the MAV's on your PC.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#13]
Works fine here. No memory issues either.

I like the drag-and-drop. I've never really tried using that before.

puki(Posted 2009) [#14]
glcube works.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#15]
I would hope so, since you apparently have 'tens of GBs of memory' in your PC.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#16]
Thank you, puki. And thanks granada, Jim and Terry for testing it.
Also thanks Brucey, for trying and for wxMax.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#17]
Tried it. It works great :) Maybe have the horizontal scaling option so it scales the x and z axis? Oh and drag and right click to copy :)

Looking nice and works perfect on this pc.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#18]
It opens and closes straight away, are you using any GL extensions?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#19]
Warner, I want to applaud you for immediately pulling the link after puki reported the bug. Not everybody would have done that, and the fact that you did it shows a lot of class.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#20]
@Jeremy, no i'm just using wxMax+minib3d. I'm working trying to fix this, but I was hoping it was minib3d that causes it. Could you maybe try the other two testing programs?
wxmax+minib3d
http://abcbasic.comyr.com/demo.zip
glcube:
http://abcbasic.comyr.com/glcube.zip
@Gary Thanks.
@Ross Thank you, I'll add a 'link' checkbox to make it possible to link x,y and z scaling. And good idea to copy with rclick.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#21]
I'm working trying to fix this

It could be graphics driver/support related. If I kick it off in (Dar)Wine on Mac, it has the same symptoms, that of closing immediately. However it also reports that it is "Unable to calculate tex size".
Perhaps if they were to run the exe from the command-line they might see this appear on the console after it crashes.
The offending RuntimeError is in GLAdjustTexSize() function, in glgraphics.bmx.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#22]
That GLAdjustTexSize is borken, and doesn't work on a lot of graphics cards.

Vertex posted the following code in this thread: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=55607 which works for me on all my computers, including my Intel GMA laptop.

Cheers
Charlie

Warner(Posted 2009) [#23]
Okay thanks, I'll give that a try.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#24]
I updated the download with 2 new fixes. I removed VBO's and I used the new AdjustTexSize/GLMax2D. Hopefully it will resolve the previous issues.