Laser Race - Beta

Community Forums/Showcase/Laser Race - Beta

siread(Posted 2009) [#1]

http://download.newstargames.com/SuperLaserRacerDemo.zip

At the moment I am looking for feedback on the gameplay and compatibility.

The final version will feature...
- Tournament mode
- Eliminator mode
- Survival mode
- Online leaderboards

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
cool looking game. ill give it a try in a minute.

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#3]
Some feedback after a quick play:

* Love the vector graphics and ship designs etc..

* Control was not bad. I came second in my second race on track 2 with a time of 1:50 on Easy. I needed to have the camera at it's highest though.

* The default key of left shift for the firing can invoke the old 'sticky keys' issue. I know you can re-define them so this is a non-issue.

* You need to store the cursor position before changing a key and reset it afterwards.

* Not sure if you support joypads but if not, may be worth considering.

* I think the track needs to stand out more from the background so that it's easier to see where you're going. It's too distracting for me to look at the map.

* I think you should bounce off the barriers better ( i.e. just reflect the velocity with the collision normals and reduce the resulting vector ). It's too harsh at the moment and can be quite frustrating when you get pushed back the way you came.

* Like the pit - same a wipeout if I remember.

* I had a quick play of the editor but wasn't sure what I was doing. Best to add some instructions on there as I just made a mess ;) You should be able to get the AI to automatically create the racing line, given the tiles. I find having to place these a pain in the arse and trial and error.

* Nice retro sounds & robo voices - can I ask how you made them?

All in all, pretty good.

Stevie

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#4]
really fun loved it, will try editor soon

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#5]
Nicely done. I usually dont enjoy top down 2d racers, but I like this one alot.

siread(Posted 2009) [#6]
Cheers for the feedback guys. For the voice I used Cepstral (http://cepstral.com/demos/) with the robot effect. Most of the other sound effects are from www.freesound.org.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#7]
ok I gave it a play or two and it is pretty fun but I cant get anything but 12th :( no matter what car I drive, I always end up hitting the walls way too much and dying or coming in last

siread(Posted 2009) [#8]
Yeah, difficulty levels are something I really want to get right. What is it that is making it too hard? Is the handling too unresponsive? Are the cars travelling too fast? Is damage too severe?

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#9]
I always get second i just can get near the guy in first. ill try so different cars.

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#10]
Very nice, will play again soon to see what else I can see.

The one thing I would like to mention at this point though is the same thing as in New Star GP: during most of the racing, the track scrolls around the player, with the player in the centre. Except for the leftmost side of the map, where the map stops scrolling and the player starts moving around on the screen. This is more than a lil jarring when it happens, and is a shame given how relatively straightforward it is to fix. Here's hoping we've caught it in time, this time.

Apart from that, it seems to be a lot of fun. I agree that the bouncing off the walls is a bit harsh in a harsh-to-the-detriment-of-fun level. Perhaps (as suggested above) slow them but maintain the 'forward momentum' - the racing's so tight generally that you're going to be struggling to recover from it anyway, let along being made to head backwards for a moment.

Good stuff. I'm off to play more.

siread(Posted 2009) [#11]
Yeah, the scrolling thing is a good point. I'll sort this out both for Laser Race and the next update of New Star Grand Prix. :)

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#12]
The only other thing that came to mind as I was drifting off into Sleepyland was when racing, I had to concentrate very hard on the action on the screen to remain competitive (maybe that's just me). Now this is fine - good, even - but it meant it was very difficult to look waaaay up to the top of the screen to see what powerup I'd collected. I often had no idea until I got to a long-ish straight, since the time it took to look that far away from my ship meant I'd be hitting a wall in no time.

If you could think of some way to have some sort of visual indicator (preferably) on or near one's ship, that might make the whole race a lil more fluid and immersive.

siread(Posted 2009) [#13]
Do you not hear the voice announce your weapon as you pick it up?

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#14]
I heard voices - but they were so otherworldly and muffled I couldn't tell what they said. I actually only noticed they were voices when I went over the "speed pads" and noticed they were "saying" the same thing each time - but without trying to be funny, I couldn't tell you what they were saying.

Now that I know, I'll have another listen... but they certainly didn't leap out at me the first few times.

Pete Rigz(Posted 2009) [#15]
Really enjoyed this. I felt the controls were just about right although I did prefer a car/ship with good handling. Will you be able to upgrade over the course of a tournament? If not then the tracks will have to be balanced so that there's enough straights/corners to balance things out between the different car set ups.

I could only come second in normal mode after a good few attempts but that may be about right, didn't try the hardest mode yet.

I agree with LineOf7s about the weapon pick-ups, I did hear the weapon pick ups but it wasn't always clear. I would actually specify the pick ups on the track so you can go for the pick ups you need, like a shield if you're in the lead, it might create a bit more strategy in the races. Maybe even design the tracks so that the more powerful pick ups are off the racing line so you have to lose a bit of race time to pick them up.

Maybe you have already but all of the pick ups shot forwards (except the mines), it would be nice for some weapons to have shot backwards at pursuing cars.

So far so good, will keep an eye on this one :)

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#16]
Okay, well playing again it turns out that for some reason the voices the first time were playing an octave lower than they should have been. I don't *think* it was you though - it could have been some driver anomaly here, so bear it in mind but don't lose any sleep over it just yet.

With the voices a bit more within the realm of understandability, it was better - but not *good*. In the middle of the race I still couldn't make out exactly what she was telling me I'd picked up. I could hear other things... but I guess I'm more used to this sort of information really smacking me right in the face. Perhaps it's just personal preference.

[edit] Okay, interesting tidbit: I'm running a Soundblaster X-Fi in 5.1 surround, and in that mode (which is standard), it seems the majority of the sound effects (including *all* the speech) is coming out of the right-rear speaker (only). Explains why it's not quite as in-your-face as I expected. I checked it out to make sure everything was in order, and yes, it's just this game that's doing it. Hopefully that information can be of some use to you.

siread(Posted 2009) [#17]
I'm hearing lots of strange sound problems so I'm gonna spend some time redoing the way the channels are allocated and sounds are played. Some good points there too Pete. Cheers again. :)

Yukio(Posted 2009) [#18]
Nice game ... I like the graphics and colours!
One thing that I wanted to change was the number of laps, but the minimum seems to be five. There is not a EXIT option too, but clicking into the X leaves the game menu.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#19]
I have no idea why I didn't suggest this before but..

I think it should have faster steering, but less friction (if there even is friction) so when you do turn, you don't instantly go in that direction.

smilertoo(Posted 2009) [#20]
It sees my gamepad but wont use it. x360 gamepad.

siread(Posted 2009) [#21]
New demo...

http://download.newstargames.com/SuperLaserRacerDemo.zip

@smilertoo: My 360 pad works ok. Did you configure the controls in the options screen?

plash(Posted 2009) [#22]
Awesome game siread!
I love the light-saber sound effects (dunno if that was intended...?).

The game works fine with my ps2 controller (tested using the left analog stick).