kaboom video

Community Forums/Showcase/kaboom video

Mark Judd(Posted 2009) [#1]
Howdy all,

If you fancy, take a look at the latest incarnation of my demolition game :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP-s0ciHui0

Its one of those projects you keep going back to when you lose the motivation on stuff you really should be doing if you know what I mean ?

(btw for those of you who have a long memory - I'm still working on my climbing game 'Vertigo' its just taking a while to implement some sponsor requests)

EDIT : I've just uploaded a quick 'compatibility test' if you fancy a try.
You'll need a decent PC with reasonable card to get the best out of the game though.

Download it here (6.5Mb ZIP file) :-
http://www.wildebeestgames.com/kaboom/kaboomcompatibilitytest.zip
Unzip to a folder of your choosing, take care to keep folder structure intact.

Since this is just a test to see how the game runs, there is no building creator, and you cannot modify the position of the charges in this demo.

During gameplay, if you press and hold 'i' you'll get some debug info - if you have time i'd appreciate some feedback on pc specs. and what spare ms you're getting.

EDIT2 (end of July '09): Just uploaded a new video to youtube :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrbcP_AoRxs

Shows some of the improvements made over the last couple of weeks.
All the meshes are now single surfaced so a huge framerate increase.
This means the buildings can be more complex without too much extra FPS penalty.
Hope to have this finished in the next couple of weeks for release.

Many thanks,

cheers,

Mark

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hmm. Interesting physics, but from what I see it is not a game, just a simulation.

Mark Judd(Posted 2009) [#3]
Fair point - to be honest if you like this sort of thing, fine, if not, horses for courses and all that.
As things progress the intention is to have challenges along the lines of :-

- Limited resources i.e. you only have 5 charges, can you destroy this building ?
- Destroy a structure but avoid damage to specific others (i.e. get it to fall a particular way).

That sort of thing, probably some sort of a career mode.

Cheers for taking a look,

Mark

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#4]
Nice!

beanage(Posted 2009) [#5]
Hehe, reminds me of the intel castle demo, ur last scene^^

anyway, cool thing, and great idea! i loved to shoot the intel castle! :D

i think, this will be a nice minigame.. anyone of u guys played BridgeBuilder? ... Yea its a simulation, but tell me, what game isnt a simulation in the terms of simulating gameplay environment .. ?

Matthew Smith(Posted 2009) [#6]
Great stuff!

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#7]
This is very cool. Almost immediately I thought of 5 or 6 gameplay variants that could be incorporated into this product. If finished up right you will have a product that is sure to sell well.

Thareh(Posted 2009) [#8]
Very cool indeed, I'm thinking about the demolition thing you can see on discovery sometimes, where they tare down buildings that are next to skyscrapes etc.
Add surrounding buildings, give the player a fixed amount of explosives, the player will have to place them out, choose the right amount of firepower etc to tare the building down without damaging other buildings.
That would be a cool game :)

plash(Posted 2009) [#9]
Cool video, looks like fun.

TF2:
Kaboom!

:)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#10]
Don't get me wrong, your video is pretty interesting and you've done a great job of making the toppling look realistic with all the smoke and falling pieces etc. It's very well done, more interesting even than Leadwerk's pile of barrels. And for what it does it does it well, and I can see how you could turn it into more of a game. Just right now it's not doing it for me. It's GREAT that you can simulate such physics structures in a computer, that is really interesting, but at face value, would I have fun poking a tower of bricks sitting on my desk and watching them fall? Not for long.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#11]
Fortunayly for Mark there are alot of folks who enjoy physics puzzles quite a bit. Physics games offer that "im effecting the world" feel , and by comparison normal gaming looks static / robotic .

I think when polished and gaming aspects are added it will be a winner.

Good work.

puki(Posted 2009) [#12]
It looks very exciting.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#13]
OK, gimme different guns to shoot at those buildings too :) Rocket Launchers, Howitzers, grenades ;) or how about earthquake, wind etc

There are so many directions you could go with this: Those mentioned above, and it could be added to an FPS, an RTS game, etc...

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#14]
I think that looks really cool, just the sort of game to while away the odd spare hour without having ongoing storylines and stuff to remember.

It would be ace to have tiny characters involved in it somehow, so they can plummet from the towers and get crushed underneath, but the only way I can think to make that work is to turn it into a terrorist-blowing-up-the-building game...

Mark Judd(Posted 2009) [#15]
Appreciate the comments, thank you.

tbh development on this is at a crawl, because most times when I fire it up I end up playing it, rather than developing it.
A good sign I suppose. Also I know from other projects, when the ideas for enhancing the game come faster than you can implement them - the core idea must be sound.
When you're struggling to think of points to flesh out a design its just not working.

I agree it does seem to work best as a casual half hour here or there type affair.

@vorderman : I'm no gaming prude (I enjoyed playing postal, etc) but the terrorist slant on kaboom troubles me if i'm honest. I know if you provide the masses with a building creation / destruction game there will be a twin towers before you can whistle.
Its the negative press that concerns me I suppose - however didn't someone once say any press is good press ?!

cheers,

Mark

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2009) [#16]
Looking good. Get it finished and I would probably buy it.

mrtricks(Posted 2009) [#17]
Brilliant. I was working on a build 'n' destruct element to go into a FPS wargame, but nothing even approaching this level of complexity. I could easily see lots of different gameplay ideas in this.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2009) [#18]
thats a copy of "Spreng-Simulator 2009" published by astragon.

german page:

http://www.uieg.de/_SHOP_/product_info.php?info=p252_Sprengmeister-Simulator.html

anway, nice one! much better graphics and physics than this german version...

Mark Judd(Posted 2009) [#19]
Oooooohaaaarrrrrgghhh.... *

* The sound a developer makes when he sees another game identical to his and starts looking to figure out who did it first and which is better.

That'll teach me to get things done more quickly.
Oh well.

I'll try and get a playable version together ASAP.

Cheers for the info !

Mark

EDIT : Aaaahhh. Feeling a bit better now. Spent five minutes looking for media from this title and found some clips off of you-tube - I think I should be safe for now. Certainly need to get mine finished and marketed though ! Nasty fright that.

Just goes to show that if you drag your feet long enough (in my case started this mid 2006), somebody else will almost always come up with a similar idea.

Mark Judd(Posted 2009) [#20]
Quick bump to say I've updated the first post with a compatibility test to download which you can also get from here :-

http://www.wildebeestgames.com/kaboom/kaboomcompatibilitytest.zip

cheers,

Mark

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#21]
You should get some extra scenery in around the target building so that on certain levels you have to blow it up in such a way that you don't flatten or damage the other buildings.

To get away from that rather serious looking competitor perhaps you could go mad with the scenery and building styles - have a factory on top of a mountain to demolish so the rubble can plummet down the mountainside, or an underwater structure to change the explosion dynamic a bit and have some bits that float, or perhaps an oil rig floating on pontoons, or various styles of bridge across canyons, or a base on the moon, or something that's been built hanging upside-down from the roof of a huge cavern...

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#22]
nice job its really addicting and fun :)

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#23]
very cool, I hope you add different side goals. Such as farthest reaching debreee and "dont touch the fence" I cannot drop this building without taking some of the fence down with it.. but ive gotten close.

BTW. run great.. dual core 3.2ghz, nvidia 8600

Mark Judd(Posted 2009) [#24]
Thank you very much for taking the time.

I am concerned that since upgrading my develoment PC I am creating software that will only run on newer hardware - so the fact that at least three others can run it no problem is encouraging !

I have a pretty long list already of game mechanics, like avoiding other structures, reverse gravity, earthquakes and tornadoes.

@vorderman : I especially like the underwater idea - do you charge much for creative input ? :)

oh and while i remember i did a new youtube clip - at the end (1:20 onwards) I demonstrate what happens when you let a 5 year old and a 9 year old loose with the charge parameters !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PFrTIF100M

cheers,

Mark

Sokurah(Posted 2009) [#25]
oh and while i remember i did a new youtube clip - at the end (1:20 onwards) I demonstrate what happens when you let a 5 year old and a 9 year old loose with the charge parameters !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PFrTIF100M

LOL, very effective. That's like using a nuke instead of an icepick to break a slab of ice into smaller pieces.

matibee(Posted 2009) [#26]
Mark, the whole video should have been explosions like that :) I don't go gooey eyed over physics sims much these days but that was pretty awesome (funny as much as cool).

You can't use the name tho :D

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#27]
Heh, that's excellent - did they put all the explosives in just the one place??

Mark Judd(Posted 2009) [#28]
@matibee - doh Atari ! perhaps a name change is in order.

@Vorderman - In the current version you can adjust the energy a charge has, as well as the timing for detonation, so all my kids did was ramp up the value for a single stick of dynamite.

Might have a mini game where the goal is to see how big a radius you can get the bits to cover !

cheers,

Mark

Mark Judd(Posted 2009) [#29]
Just uploaded a new video to youtube :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrbcP_AoRxs

(link copied to original post as well).

Shows some of the improvements I've made over the last couple of weeks.
All the meshes are now single surfaced so a huge framerate increase.
(This means the buildings can be more complex without too much extra FPS penalty.)

Hope to have this finished in the next couple of weeks for release.

cheers,

Mark

matibee(Posted 2009) [#30]
Looking good Mark. The water looks nice initially, then there was a little disappointment in the way it reacted when complete towers fell in.

Is this using LeadWerks, or a.n.other add on 3d engine? Just curious.

Can we have a video of the actual 'setting up' phase, how explosives are placed etc?

In the final game, put other buildings around the target to make the scene more interesting rather than one building and some scrubland.

[These are very quick comments, I should be working :D, sorry if they sound curt]

danjo(Posted 2009) [#31]
nothing wrong with calling it KABOOM - even if ACTIVISION (lets get it right) released a game 20years ago with a similar name. the 2 games have nothing else in common.

this looks excellent :D

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#32]
Hmm, I bet this doesn't happen in Kaboom!

Looking forward to seeing this finished... the test version was great fun.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#33]
nothing wrong with calling it KABOOM - even if ACTIVISION (lets get it right) released a game 20years ago with a similar name. the 2 games have nothing else in common.

That won't really matter if they trademarked the name itself....

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#34]
I was watching some new talent show the other night and some kid had written a song but said she couldn't use the name she chose because some other song used it. I was surprised to hear from one of the judges that names cannot be copyrighted. That might be true...

It can be trademarked but the name has to be quite distinctive to qualify

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#35]
I just did some searching... I dont know if you are going to want to use Kaboom... there are many games out there with that name...

You should call it Pyro or add some innocent people and call it Terrorize lol

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#36]
It can be trademarked but the name has to be quite distinctive to qualify

Yeah, like 'windows' or something. :-?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#37]

add some innocent people

I'm not the only person who saw ragdoll 'ppl' thrown out of buildings? I don't know if that's good or bad...

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#38]
I was surprised to hear from one of the judges that names cannot be copyrighted

lol tell that to the guy that invented tetris!

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2009) [#39]
Looking great, water seems too, um stiff, no splashes, goes back to no movement rather quickly or something. Anyways, can't wait for this one (neither can my 8 yr old son).

Mark Judd(Posted 2009) [#40]
Hello,

Thanks for all your comments.
Real life kicked in for a bit recently, and haven't had as much time to code as I'd like (we've all been there I think).
Regarding the project name, I think I may change it, not because of any problems but because as _skully mentions it seems quite common.
Working on a new editor at the minute - allows for angled components (currently impossible) opens up all sorts of new - ummm -angles ?!
Also improved the water some, bigger splashes (thanks OldSkoolGamer) and lots of behind the scenes optimisation (single surface stuff, etc).
On target to get something out in a fortnight or so.

cheers,

Mark

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#41]
Regarding the project name, I think I may change it

You could simply change a few letters in the name to make it look different.

Kabewm
Kuhbewm
Kuhboom

Things like that.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#42]
was watching some new talent show the other night and some kid had written a song but said she couldn't use the name she chose because some other song used it. I was surprised to hear from one of the judges that names cannot be copyrighted. That might be true...

karp i had to re do this

song titles are more leniant, unlike movie and book titles

take the song "power of love" which one do you want to listen to
huey lewis and the news
jennifer rush
frankie goes to hollywood

each a totally different song yet share the same title

band names are more strict
liberty X added the X due to an existing liberty group
mika is/was in trouble over the name as someone else was using it almost a decade prior, mind you that didnt stop nirvana (kurts brains getting blown out did)

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2009) [#43]
Any updates on when another demo might be available or the release ?

mkg(Posted 2009) [#44]
I spent a silly amount of time playing with your demo - a good sign eh? :) So lets see a game!

Ran fine - no problems with this setup:

Athlon 64 3200+
1 GB DDR 400/PC2300
256MB Radeon X800GT02
Windows XP SP3