Invasion Online

Community Forums/Showcase/Invasion Online

Ferret(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

I'm working on a multiplayer first person shooter and want to test the multiplayer side of the game.

There is not much to look at yet, everything is a cube but most stuff works.
You should be able to play a deathmach game with some items in the level to pickup.

I uploaded a client and will run the server for a few hours, i will post here when its up.
I made the client as small as posible so no sound

Invasion Online website!

Ferret(Posted 2009) [#2]
Server is offline.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#3]
downloading

EDIT:
I dont know is it online or not, but this is what I have got..

Ferret(Posted 2009) [#4]
I think i shut it down by accident, sorry.
Its running now, so if you want you can try again.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#5]
..same..ihh..

Ferret(Posted 2009) [#6]
The server is on another computer now, i can't connect iether.
It works fine if i run both on the same computer.

Thx for the help, at least i know it does not work yet.

Ferret(Posted 2009) [#7]
I did a test with the simpel example that came with the wrapper and got the same result.
It works fine when i run both on the same computer but fails when i try it online.
I tryed a no-ip service, entering the exact ip adress, different ports and without firewall.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#8]
Ferret,

i have ran into the same problem . Mine is a result of not having a static Ip line purchased via my DSL ISP. While you may have the same IP all the time, without the router set up on a Static line its impossible to get a server going on a public access IP.. Thats my experience so far. If you discover another way let me know.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#9]
The server is on another computer now, i can't connect iether.
It works fine if i run both on the same computer.

- Are the computers on the same LAN?
if yes: The windows firewall on one or both of the machines may be blocking the traffic
if no: Are you using a routable IP address for the destionation PC?
In order to find it over the internet, you'd need to use the *external* IP of the network connection of the server machine, and make sure that you have a port/service forward in its router to redirect the traffic to the actual local LAN address of the PC on its local network segment.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#10]
I have found that a firewalled PC cant host the game.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#11]
A firewalled PC can't play any network games period, unless you add an exception for it.

Ferret(Posted 2009) [#12]
I gave it full access in mi firewall (zonealarm), before trying.
There is no router so i'm not sure if i have to do any port forwarding.
I used http://www.no-ip.com/ to get a static ip adress, i use "f3d.servegame.com" to connect.

I managed to get a server up using Blitzplay a long time ago but i had another isp. Also no router and it worked using the no ip service.

Xzider(Posted 2009) [#13]
Some ISPs won't let you host a public server. Try calling them to see what's up.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#14]
Even if you allow the program to go through the firewall, the firewalled PC
cant host games because it cant recieve the initial signal to connect.

Strangely, the firewalled PC can join a game and recieve messages about the game state.

Ferret(Posted 2009) [#15]
Howdid it work with the first unreal tournament?
I was able to host a non dedicated server and play on it with a friend.

I'm getting another isp when the contract with mi current one ends, wich works with a router and i might get it to work then.
Renting a server for testing is to expensive for me so i'm going to see if a friend can host itfor now. Or, i can just test it localy and hope it all works online.

Rifraf, you have an online game, how do you host a server?

EDIT:
I read your tiny tanks post and you seem to have the same problem.

Ferret(Posted 2009) [#16]
NAT Punchthrough is a way to do it but if i understand you need another server not using NAT.

Ferret(Posted 2009) [#17]
I made a website and added some screens of the gui i'm working on.
It has a news page and a working server browser.

View screens!