Then.... and now

Community Forums/Showcase/Then.... and now

GfK(Posted 2009) [#1]
I guess the showcase is kind of the right place for this even though its not for feedback.... mods feel free to move it if not.

I was digging through my repository just now and had a look at the very first version of my current game. I thought it was interesting to be able to see how its evolved over time.

Here's the very first version, 28th November, 2007. Not much to look at, not much to do. You can swap tiles around on the grid, and that's about it. As you can see, it doesn't even check for matches at this stage:

28th April 2008, and the game is all working, although as a game engine it was fairly basic and the artwork is pretty cruddy:

...and finally - today; 8th June 2009. Lots of bells, whistles, and bright shiny things added:

...and for the cynics, as if to prove that the game is not *just* match three, here's a cryptic image from one of the nine minigames/bonus levels:

Right, that's mine. Post yours!

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#2]
Interesting. Here's mine, I can't believe I've been at this for so long :(

Initial physics engine test ( early 2006 )

Progress ( Sep 2006 )

Current Build

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#3]
Umm,...

Then:

Now:

Yeah.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#4]
Gfk, that artwork is pretty good man. Much improved since i last saw it :)

nawi(Posted 2009) [#5]

andy_mc(Posted 2009) [#6]
Nice bike game there

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#7]
Cool looking games everyone!

Your killiing me with the .png images Nawi. Took me forever to view
them with my dial up internet, lol.

Heres mine.
Robo Attack 3D about a week ago.
Mundane looking plane with a starry texture, and some ok see through walls.

New version of Robo Attack 3D, now.
Hopefully impressive looking Icy terrain, and in the third image,
some unfinished desert terrain.

WERDNA
(Current Projects? Robo Attack3D. Cancelled Projects? Dragon Spirit)

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#8]
Funnily enough, I don't do progressive versions. I always put out production quality stuff first, spending some time with each asset improving it as much as I can or feel comfortable with.
Whether it's a good way to do things or not, I don't care. I'm a hobbyst about it.

And I definately don't like to go back to an unfinished project to finish it; it's very hard to me to get back to the creative mentality I had when I was making it.

Uncle(Posted 2009) [#9]
I did a little video a while back to show the progression of a game I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuCaOwhzjdo&feature=player_embedded

I recently found a CD full of source from about 6 months into the project and I ran a few of the programs the other day. It was quite an eye opener looking back at that code... basically I had no idea what I was doing.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#10]
then - april 2009.
Just a tank moving around a mesh pretty much. Nothing much to it.

now - June 2009. still wip but getting there.
Complete networking with server lobby. Complete capture the flag
game+rules, Power ups, multiple weapons destroyable scenery, teleporters,
persistent server side stats, and server scripted events.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2009) [#11]
This is when I wish I'd used Subversion from day 1 - I'd have every single screenshot and little development along the way :( Alas - I've now only got finished products - shame on me!!!!

grindalf(Posted 2009) [#12]

i forget how many years ago

and now :D

Loktar(Posted 2009) [#13]
grindalf that is awesome, you kept the exact look in 3D so cool seeing as that 2d image is much older.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#14]
ancient, somewhere in 2007:

relatively new, but still old, from 2008:

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#15]
Nice RifRaf!

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#16]
grindalf, looks sweeet! Also, Weibo, i like the look of that.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#17]
It's coming along nicely Weibo :D

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#18]
Thanks! It's taking way too much time (my own fault) and once I get my new particle system in there I hope to make some more progress :)

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#19]
First ever image of my dart game (18th Feb 2009):-

Now:-

Title Screen:-

Options Menu:-

Note: I'm not keen on the buttons, and I'm planning to change them!

Profile Menu (Unfinished)

Main Game:-

And finally, a 3D scene that pops up when things are loading (Minus 'Loading' text and animation)

Going well(ish)

Dabz

big10p(Posted 2009) [#20]
You spelt 'Dessert' wrong, Dabs. ;)

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#21]
lol, bollocks! :D

How did I miss that! :P

Hehehe

Dabz

Drak(Posted 2009) [#22]
First codings of another one of my boring simulations:

Basically threw some placeholders in for characters and objects. I think I started this project late in 2008. Red balls are people, brown balls are deer, green cubes are plants and resources.

A more recent screenshot with placeholders removed.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#23]
I decided to give UAE a try on my iMac yesterday and got it working, so I dug up my old slot/fruit machine game - SuperFruits. I don't have a `current` image - still working on it, sorry ;-) ... but here is a `then` game from 1993, my Amiga fruitmachine written in AMOS. AMOS had a gnack for people creating lots of the same kind of game/app - there were lots of paint programs and lots of fruit machine games. This one is actually quite fun to play - I dug it up and played it on UAE last night. It was never published or released publicly, but I am working towards a greatly improved version in BlitzMax.

Yay - 4-color Workbench 1.3 Amiga desktop...

Here's the title screen - all of *2* colors, with a copperlist rainbow - I had to use 2 colors because it was actually an pre-rendered particle animation done in Deluxe Paint 3 and wouldn't run fast enough otherwise.

And in-game... all of 32 colors at 320x256 ;-D Here having got two fruits in the middle of the reels it drops down into a gamble feature with several special mini-games. The jackpot is with 7-7-7, where the screen goes wild with colorcycling madness. :D

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#24]
Well, that is very 'then' :) Cool stuff!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#25]
I did convert the code to blitzbasic2 on the amiga, and got it running, but with some color issues. I don't have any of the code anymore tho, which is maybe a good thing. ;-D

skn3(Posted 2009) [#26]
The shots are looking better and better rifraf! :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#27]

John Cage(Posted 2009) [#28]
Some shots from Star Opus I then and now...

The early version:

New version:

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2009) [#29]
impressive screens and projects. i hope all of them will be finished.

my first experience:

a new gui + 4 new features:

after total rewrite:

today:
better gui + better control + layers + animation system (object&timeline base) + bezier curve editor (every timeline-dot is controlable) + timeline-dot interpolation setting (bounceEaseIn, strongEaseIn) + animation preview etc.

future:
port to bmax/c++ with ogre3d??? hmm! No.. -.-